advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
My sister had a rather extreme reaction to the first dose - her Dr isn't sure about taking a 2nd
Posted by: hal
Date: January 30, 2021 04:25PM
DAMN!! My sister is technically a front line worker so she got high on the vaccine list.

It's been about a week since the shot, but she has experienced fatigue and shortness of breath (not a common reaction). She's a healthy 61yo, but said that just having an animated conversation made her a little light headed.

She called her primary Dr and the doc didn't have a recommendation one way or another for getting the second shot. She says that she is going to talk to a respiratory dr for a second.

She lives in Alameda - very close to the original Santa Clara County outbreak. Back in the spring, she had a MONSTER illness - we've been wondering if she got covid super early on...

a little concerned...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My sister had a rather extreme reaction to the first dose - her Dr isn't sure about taking a 2nd
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 30, 2021 04:37PM
Symptoms resemble a mild case of COVID. It takes two weeks to build immunity after getting vaccinated. Timing could just suck for her.

In my un-professional opinion, an actual visit with a doctor is called for. And a PCR test.

Re: My sister had a rather extreme reaction to the first dose - her Dr isn't sure about taking a 2nd
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 30, 2021 05:41PM
Sarcany
Symptoms resemble a mild case of COVID. It takes two weeks to build immunity after getting vaccinated. Timing could just suck for her.

In my un-professional opinion, an actual visit with a doctor is called for. And a PCR test.

It is quite possible that she had COVID last spring, and that she already has antibodies and other sequalae from that infection. This first shot may be acting more like a booster in that it is eliciting a faster reaction than expected. The other sequalae may also have made her more reactive. Sounds advisable to see a doctor, do a variety of tests and watch how her current symptoms resolve before deciding when/whether to take a second shot.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 30, 2021 05:45PM
I would certainly wait if I had the option to do so.
Date: January 30, 2021 05:52PM
btw, she forgot to mention her earlier illness until I reminded her today. I'll update with any further news.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 30, 2021 06:35PM
Best wishes for your sister.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 30, 2021 07:52PM
Sarcany

My thoughts exactly.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 30, 2021 08:44PM
Its a good point that she might have gotten covid around the time she got the vaccine. Unlikely but possible.

IMO, anyone who is feeling short of breath should have a pulse oximeter. Thats the true measure of how she's doing.

Hopefully she feels better from here.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 30, 2021 11:10PM
Best wishes for your sister, hal.

I’ve had a reaction to my jab on Wednesday, will be making a doctor call on Monday.

Sigh…

=wr=
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 30, 2021 11:36PM
I've heard stories about "unintended" and / or adverse reactions from more than one person. Such information seems to be kept under wraps (gee, I wonder why). Just one of the reasons I'm holding off on getting ANY of the vaccines until many million "test subjects" go first.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 31, 2021 12:49AM
Best wishes to your sister. A doctor told me last week that those with antibodies from previous Covid infections tend to have a much more severe reaction to the vaccine. Wonder if that might be what happened, since she was so ill earlier in the year?
Date: January 31, 2021 02:09AM
testcase
I've heard stories about "unintended" and / or adverse reactions from more than one person. Such information seems to be kept under wraps (gee, I wonder why). Just one of the reasons I'm holding off on getting ANY of the vaccines until many million "test subjects" go first.

...and you call yourself testcase?

IMPOSTER!!
Posted by: Janit
Date: January 31, 2021 07:18AM
Among other things it would be worth assaying her antibody levels.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 31, 2021 08:47AM
Janit
Among other things it would be worth assaying her antibody levels.

This is what I've been waiting for (I haven't received any vaccine yet) ... for my personal medical situation, this will be crucial, but so far as I'm aware, nobody is doing this outside of a clinical trial. (Routine antibody testing for detecting the virus isn't necessarily looking at titers, just presence or absence of the antibodies.)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 31, 2021 09:26AM
We are in uncharted territory with these vaccines, but very severe reactions are rare so far. She needs to report them and get into the queue to be examined by the vaccine follow up team. They might learn from her experience and be able to improve the vaccine down the road - we clearly will have need of COVID booster shots tied to new variants.

That might get her some awesome advice.

I also concur with the general thought she might already have some antibodies etc. Our experience is that the second shot is far more likely to have adverse effects than the first for this same reason.

Finally, her response could be thought as good news - meaning, her body does seem have reacted to the vaccine! That usually means she’s making antibodies etc.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 31, 2021 10:59AM
This sounds a little bit like the reaction that my neighbor (who's a frontline doctor) had to the second shot, except that her reaction only lasted about three days. The second shot reportedly has much more severe reactions than the first. Perhaps your sister having possibly had Covid previously has resulted in her first shot giving reactions similar to a second shot.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 31, 2021 11:11PM
My sister had a severe reaction to her second Pfizer shot. She as taken to the ER via ambulance and was there for several hours and now she needs to see a cardiologist. She was physically drained for about 30 hours but is ok now except her heart and that issue may have been there before we don't know. She didn't really want to get yet but she works for a team of surgeons at the big Wake Forest Baptist hospital. My sister is fairly physically fit.

My elderly aunts and uncles, some pushing 90, did just fine with both of their shots and two of them are very frail.

Grateful11
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 01, 2021 08:47AM
I know 4 healthy people who've had the 2nd Pfizer shot. All got fever, nausea and headache. For a day or two. One was my brother who tested regularly for antibodies, which were not detected. He is super fit.

I'd say just plan on it. If you have no reaction, considering yourself fortunate. I'd rather have fever for 36 hours than COVID.

Hal, hope your sister is better.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 01, 2021 09:03AM
Seems that people over 65 are less likely to have a bad reaction to the vaccine than younger.

As a result, we're likely to encounter more stories of bad reactions as the population receiving the vaccine grows. Not just because more people are getting it, but because more young and middle-aged people are getting it.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 01, 2021 12:44PM
If I am correct in my understanding, with Moderna or Pfizer, 2 shots get you 95% protections, 1 shot about 80%.

I may not get the second one. I've had occasional AFIB for years, the first Moderna shot seems to have spurred more episodes.

Will be seeing my cardiologist tomorrow afternoon… (And hope he isn't too annoyed that I haven't been to see him since 2011…) :-)

=wr=
Posted by: davester
Date: February 01, 2021 01:46PM
wave rider
If I am correct in my understanding, with Moderna or Pfizer, 2 shots get you 95% protections, 1 shot about 80%.

I don't think it is that simple. Although the data available are insufficient at this date, my understanding is that immunity fades much more quickly if you just get one shot of the two-shot vaccines. Also, recent Israeli studies (they are far ahead of the US in vaccinating people) have shown that after the second Pfizer shot protection is estimated at 99.6% (i.e hardly anybody got Covid after receiving it.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 02, 2021 08:36PM
testcase

Thanks, more for the rest of us.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 08, 2021 12:35AM
hal
testcase

...and you call yourself testcase?

IMPOSTER!!

I'd rather be an imposter than a FOOL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020