AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The Boss is Back
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 07, 2021 10:56AM
Very moving Jeep Superbowl commercial with Bruce Springsteen

The Middle

How They Got Him To Do It

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Boss is Back
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 07, 2021 06:00PM
Thanks for the links. I'm getting tired of Uplifting Commercials but this one is excellent.

It's done like a positive feel-good spot but it is in fact a denouncement of the Trump years. I think Jeep should get credit for coming down strong on the side of putting Trump behind us and getting back to what really matters.

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 07, 2021 07:11PM
That's an important message.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 07, 2021 09:14PM
As long as you’re a Christian, rural person.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: February 07, 2021 09:45PM
rjmacs

Yes. That's what Bruce Springsteen would believe. Exactly that.
Date: February 07, 2021 10:07PM
vision63
rjmacs

I’m sure he didn’t direct the ad. Jeep commercial <> Bruce Springsteen.

rj
AKA
Date: February 07, 2021 10:15PM
rjmacs
vision63
rjmacs

Bruce is far from being a dummy. We've seen him operate politically for decades now. He's always been on point with his time and his money. Nobody is tricking him into anything.
Date: February 07, 2021 10:25PM
vision63
rjmacs
vision63
rjmacs

Bruce is far from being a dummy. We've seen him operate politically for decades now. He's always been on point with his time and his money. Nobody is tricking him into anything.

Well, not everyone saw the ad the same way you did. Love you, vision63.

rj
AKA
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 07, 2021 10:38PM
From the link graylocks posted:

“He spent 12 hours on site. He was totally hands-on about the editing. He was very, very, very active with the editing and the process,” says Francois. “He knew what he wanted, and he got what he wanted.”
Date: February 07, 2021 10:41PM
rjmacs
vision63
rjmacs
vision63
rjmacs

Well, not everyone saw the ad the same way you did. Love you, vision63.

I love you too! People should question their perspectives. My mother called me all kinds of names. Cussed and fussed. Even beat my butt when I was really bad. On the surface, I should hate her. But I knew her. I knew her mind. Like I know Bruce's. I worshipped my mother and still do.
Date: February 07, 2021 11:10PM
The spot is for the kind of people who would potentially buy a Jeep. They aren't rural Christians but they do want the last four years to disappear, and this romanticizes that notion as being like a Bruce song and not like a pipe dream.

Posted by: samintx
Date: February 08, 2021 06:21AM
5mil for commercial to the Boss
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 08, 2021 07:20AM
rjmacs

I noticed that too, but that's the choir he's preaching to. If this ad brings the right-leaning demographic closer into the middle, is that a bad thing?
Date: February 08, 2021 11:26AM
Janit
rjmacs

I noticed that too, but that's the choir he's preaching to. If this ad brings the right-leaning demographic closer into the middle, is that a bad thing?

Nope - what bugged me much more than the ad was the pretense from lots of commentators that it was aimed at all of America, and that it represented the idea of a united country.

Also, if a Jeep ad can bring right-leaning people closer to the middle, can we please hire that ad agency to work for the government?

rj
AKA
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 08, 2021 12:13PM
rjmacs
Janit
rjmacs

Nope - what bugged me much more than the ad was the pretense from lots of commentators that it was aimed at all of America, and that it represented the idea of a united country.

Also, if a Jeep ad can bring right-leaning people closer to the middle, can we please hire that ad agency to work for the government?

Right?

I'm just confused by this ad and as usual I'm going to badly overthink it.

The visuals don't match Bruce's narration. Since when is white Christian rural Kansas "the middle" politically? You can't get much more extreme right than that. With all the crosses and white people and farms I thought I was watching an RNC convention warm up video.

This doesn't look or feel like America to me, and I'm not sure who this is supposed to entice to buy a Jeep.

Bruce was maybe saying we needed white working class people from the midwest to come back and vote Dem so that Biden could win, but is that "reuniting the country?"
Date: February 08, 2021 01:00PM
First of all, we can dispense with the idea that they're trying to sell Jeeps in the ad. They are not. It's branding designed to increase public awareness that they exist as most branding is. If they were "selling" Jeeps, they'd literally show off a model. Matthew McConaughey participated in a hybrid branding campaign with Lincoln that in addition sold the vehicle that he was driving. Jeep didn't do that here.

There's a threatening aspect to this ad. It was designed to do this. Everybody has their definition of what America is and isn't. It's all rooted in group-think. That's how we are now. Both sides are wrong. Each side has fringes and they feel the most threatened. The right fringe has taken that entire side over. This is an effort to wrestle it away from them, It ain't about "us." The left fringe is just loud. Me Me Me.

Ultimately this is all on Bruce Springsteen. You either trust him or you don't. If you feel threatened, he's stupid. If you don't he's perhaps wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2021 01:06PM by vision63.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 08, 2021 02:09PM
The aspect of this that people are (apparently) not connecting the dots with is the Springsteen oeuvre, and his sparse, often at-odds-with-itself lyrical yarns that are not quite what they seem.
Date: February 08, 2021 02:16PM
Well, it's a commercial. Commerce. Selling. Maybe they are trying to brand themselves but the ultimate goal is still to sell Jeeps. People are getting too used to believing that "branding" is some kind of end in itself but it is not. It's meant to lead to purchases or they wouldn't bother with it.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 08, 2021 02:37PM
I have no reason to question what Springsteen would like to see happen for America. On this, his/their message is plain, but also open to interpretation like a song.

For me, it’s Rodney King’s famous lament about getting along. That’s not acquiescence but it’s not forgiveness, either.

Or I could be mistaken and Jeep will reintroduce the CJ, although I cannot fathom riding in one in a Kansas winter, especially without a roof and doors. Even when buttoned up and the heater going, in those things you’re really only headed to the nearest mechanic.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 08, 2021 02:48PM
Whoa! Tough room!

Springsteen released a documentary last year in which he read passages that sound very similar in tone to the script of this of this ad. when i watched the documentary I did think the passages sounded a bit tortured. Like he was trying a bit too hard to cement what he believes his legacy to be. This ad, as much as i really like and welcome it, has hints of that "I will define me for history" bent also.

Ain't considering buying a jeep though until they have an EV.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2021 02:48PM by graylocks.
Date: February 08, 2021 02:51PM
deckeda
For me, it’s Rodney King’s famous lament about getting along. That’s not acquiescence but it’s not forgiveness, either.

People often forget that Rodney King's plea wasn't a lament, but an urgent entreaty to the people of Los Angeles, in the midst of intense violence and ongoing physical destruction of his community, not to continue causing damage on his behalf. He wanted to stop seeing his world burn before his eyes.

It was not a reflective, considered statement about what happened to him, nor a representation of his eventual thoughts and feelings on the subject. It became a catch-phrase and, sadly, a caricature of a complicated man who had complex feelings about his plight and the subsequent results for his community.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 08, 2021 04:03PM
That was Springsteen? I had no idea that was him or that I was witnessing some sort of profound art. I spent the entire commercial just trying to guess which automobile brand it was going to hawk.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 08, 2021 08:36PM
deckeda
Or I could be mistaken and Jeep will reintroduce the CJ, ... in those things you’re really only headed to the nearest mechanic.

goodone

On another note, Michigan folks are a little cranky because the map in the commercial excludes Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 08, 2021 08:51PM
rjmacs
deckeda

People often forget that Rodney King's plea wasn't a lament, but an urgent entreaty to the people of Los Angeles, in the midst of intense violence and ongoing physical destruction of his community, not to continue causing damage on his behalf. He wanted to stop seeing his world burn before his eyes.

It was not a reflective, considered statement about what happened to him, nor a representation of his eventual thoughts and feelings on the subject. It became a catch-phrase and, sadly, a caricature of a complicated man who had complex feelings about his plight and the subsequent results for his community.

Nah. “Can we all get along?” became a catchphrase because in the context of his May1, 1992 televised speech it was the functional equivalent of why-can’t-we get along. He was very definitely reacting to the riots. It wasn’t a theoretical exercise.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 08, 2021 09:16PM
I get the general sentiment he is trying to evoke - let's get away from the extremes - but I don't like that the imagery used paints the middle as being a chapel. As he intones the words "come meet here in the middle" the imagery is focused on a Christian cross with an American flag in the shape of the country as a backdrop to the cross. To me, all that does is reinforce the idea that the "real" America is a Christian America. Blech.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2021 09:28PM by Ted King.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 08, 2021 11:18PM
Springsteen is way too identified as a supporter of Democrats to be seen as a unifier by anyone that commercial might hope to reach.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 09, 2021 07:59AM
RgrF
Springsteen is way too identified as a supporter of Democrats to be seen as a unifier by anyone that commercial might hope to reach.

I think the ad agency that made this was thinking
1. Bruce represents the Left. And all who know the man and his music know he's left.
2. Small town rural Kansas is RIght, especially the Evangelicals

3. So put them together and suggest they both need to move to the center. Feel all cozy amd American and go buy a jeep.

Its oversimplified and either oblivious to Christian nationalist symbolism, or promoting it. I suspect the former. I doubt anyone involved in making this ad has spent much time in Kansas.

This ad was made before Jan. 6. They should have pulled it or revised it. And I'm sorry that Bruce let his celebrity amd cultural significance get weakened like this. He's lost some fans and a lot of respect.
Date: February 09, 2021 11:17AM
Lemon Drop
RgrF

I think the ad agency that made this was thinking
1. Bruce represents the Left. And all who know the man and his music know he's left.
2. Small town rural Kansas is RIght, especially the Evangelicals

3. So put them together and suggest they both need to move to the center. Feel all cozy amd American and go buy a jeep.

Its oversimplified and either oblivious to Christian nationalist symbolism, or promoting it. I suspect the former. I doubt anyone involved in making this ad has spent much time in Kansas.

This ad was made before Jan. 6. They should have pulled it or revised it. And I'm sorry that Bruce let his celebrity amd cultural significance get weakened like this. He's lost some fans and a lot of respect.

He didn't lose a single "fan." Maybe some customers. Who knows what he's gained?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2021 11:18AM by vision63.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 09, 2021 01:25PM
Ted King
I get the general sentiment he is trying to evoke - let's get away from the extremes - but I don't like that the imagery used paints the middle as being a chapel. As he intones the words "come meet here in the middle" the imagery is focused on a Christian cross with an American flag in the shape of the country as a backdrop to the cross. To me, all that does is reinforce the idea that the "real" America is a Christian America. Blech.

Bingo, nailed it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020