advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Even with acquittal, GOP sees trial ending Trump's shot at future office"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 12, 2021 12:36PM
[thehill.com]

Senate Republicans, including those who do not plan to vote to convict former President Trump, say this week’s impeachment trial has effectively ended any chance of him becoming the GOP presidential nominee in 2024.

From the viewpoint of some Republican senators, the compelling case presented by House prosecutors carries a silver lining: It means they likely won’t have to worry about Trump running for president again in three years, while at the same time eroding his influence in party politics more generally.
- - - - -
"Unwittingly, they are doing us a favor. They're making Donald Trump disqualified to run for president" even if he is acquitted, the senator said.

Other Republican senators, even those who have indicated they will vote to acquit, say it would be a good thing if the impeachment trial helps distance the party from Trump, who has thoroughly dominated GOP politics over the past five years.

They know he should be convicted and never given the chance to become president again but they are going to hide behind the rationale that the House managers did a good enough job that Trump wouldn't win again if he tried. F-ing cowards.

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Even with acquittal, GOP sees trial ending Trump's shot at future office"
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 12, 2021 12:44PM
What makes them think that.?
That was the same flawed logic that got him elected before.
What a bunch of dumb*****.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 12, 2021 12:47PM
@#$%& stupid

Posted by: pdq
Date: February 12, 2021 12:50PM
smiley-laughing001

That's kinda what all my suburban Republican friends thought circa 2015-6. We actually had a little contest; we wrote down then who we thought would be the GOP and Dem nominees, and who would win?

I was the only one who guessed Trump for the GOP nod. (Actually, I got two out of three right...sad smiley )

Anyway, I'm not sure Trump will still even be feeding himself in 2024, but if the Repubs want to make sure of their future, there is only one way they can solve this. Everything else is just whistling past the(ir) graveyard.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 12, 2021 12:52PM
The only real thing preventing him from running again is his permanent Twitter ban.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 12, 2021 01:26PM
Sometimes I think the only way this guy will go away is with a stake thru the heart. Guilty Impeachment vote would have been one way to accomplish that.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 12, 2021 01:37PM
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 12, 2021 01:59PM
I've been predicting Trump would gone by Labor Day every year since 2015. One of these years I have to get it right, though at this rate I may be gone before he is.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 12, 2021 02:40PM
He'll wear this impeachment like a badge of honor. To his followers, he is a hero and nothing will change that perception. He can go into the election with 30 percent of the vote. That is a block that can get him nominated. By that time, many will have forgotten the chaos of his administration, especially if the overdue recession is still underway.

The Senate won't convict, that is a given. The reality is the only hope for the nation to be completely safe from a second term is if he passes away.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 12, 2021 03:34PM
My fear is that the Republican lifers that fear for the votes to get reelected themselves, are saying this on the surface, knowing that if they alienate the Cheato loyalists, they will not be able to get themselves reelected, but hope the lifetime ban does not happen.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: February 12, 2021 04:07PM
What about a "new" Republican party rising from the ashes? Rumors about ex GOP's starting a new party that isn't about tRUMP?
Posted by: hal
Date: February 12, 2021 04:20PM
Lizabeth
What about a "new" Republican party rising from the ashes? Rumors about ex GOP's starting a new party that isn't about tRUMP?

it wasn't a rumor - it was an actual report of some top GOPers getting together to discuss the idea - I read that only 40% thought it was a good idea.
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 12, 2021 04:43PM
Wait. Isn't there still a chance he could be convicted of other crimes in NY? They're not giving up yet, are they? Are any of them felonies?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: February 12, 2021 05:00PM
wurm
Wait. Isn't there still a chance he could be convicted of other crimes in NY? They're not giving up yet, are they? Are any of them felonies?

Yeah, there is at least fair chance of him being charged with breaking quite a lot of state level laws. He's probably more vulnerable on the civil side of the law - especially with respect to his corporations - than on the personal crime side, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's got some doozies of vulnerabilities at the state level to felony charges as well. Of course, he will use all kinds of legal tactics to stretch it out as long as possible, but any such cases would likely still land before the next presidential elections.

I think there's pretty good chance that a wave of civil lawsuits is going to hit him from all kinds of directions. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of federal DA's bringing charges in the future, either. So I think it's likely that he is going to be having deal with a lot of nasty legal problems for years to come.

e pluribus unum

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2021 06:09PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 12, 2021 09:30PM
Two "conservative" parties running against each other is maybe not a bad thing.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 12, 2021 09:39PM
Trump controls a boatload of money inside his PAC...fear his wrath...e.g. vote for impeachment and he'll back your opponent in your next primary.

I bet only a criminal conviction could strip him of controlling the dough...that may happen in state court, but it'll take years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2021 09:39PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 13, 2021 01:34PM
Ombligo
He'll wear this impeachment like a badge of honor. To his followers, he is a hero and nothing will change that perception. He can go into the election with 30 percent of the vote. That is a block that can get him nominated. By that time, many will have forgotten the chaos of his administration, especially if the overdue recession is still underway.

The Senate won't convict, that is a given. The reality is the only hope for the nation to be completely safe from a second term is if he passes away.

Will no one rid us of this turbulent priest?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020