advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
House passes wide-ranging voting right bill...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 03, 2021 10:38PM
...with two northern Dems voting against. How long before Schumer borks it 10-9-8...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2021 10:40PM by RgrF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: House passes wide-ranging voting right bill...
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 03, 2021 10:41PM
Right on. Way to go house!

=wr=
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 03, 2021 11:33PM
"“Standing in line to vote is not voter suppression,” Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican from the state, said on Wednesday during the debate in Washington. “It’s just part of the voting process. Just like people stand in line to buy groceries at the grocery store.”"

What is with these luddites and their lame, outdated analogies. I don't have to stand in line for anything anymore, not even groceries, unless I choose to. I don't see in my Pocket Constitution where voting has to be a pain in the ass.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2021 11:35PM by Acer.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 03, 2021 11:38PM
Greene is just a trolling right-wing noise machine - she has no power. People like Greene are not the problem, weak-kneed political leaders who have real power but either don't know how or refuse to use it are today's real problem.
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 04, 2021 01:55AM
Vote by mail should be national. We’ve had it in Oregon since 1998. With 15.5 million votes cast since then there have been a total of 14 fraud cases. Paper trail, an app that messages you when you ballot is mailed and received. Simple. Effective.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 04, 2021 04:04AM
Wags
Simple. Effective.

That, of course, is the problem as Republicans see it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 04, 2021 04:17AM
Speedy
Wags
Simple. Effective.

That, of course, is the problem as Republicans see it.

fraud, baby! FRAUD! FRAUD!! FRAUD!!!

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 04, 2021 07:28AM
Wags
Vote by mail should be national. We’ve had it in Oregon since 1998. With 15.5 million votes cast since then there have been a total of 14 fraud cases. Paper trail, an app that messages you when you ballot is mailed and received. Simple. Effective.
And as Trump explained, easy to sabotage as well. Not 'cause fraud', just ensure non-delivery. Any plan needs to include postal service protections.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 04, 2021 08:24AM
RgrF
...with two northern Dems voting against. How long before Schumer borks it 10-9-8...?

Realistically, this is a long shot in the Senate, since the Republicans will oppose lockstep any efforts to make voting easier.

I wondered how long it would be before someone blamed Schumer and/or the Dems in general.

Think he can get rid of the filibuster without losing a single vote?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 04, 2021 08:36AM
This is a historical marker. In the short run, Democrats could very easily lose both the House and the Senate next year if this does not pass. With it, voting would be more fair, with more consistent results.

In the long run, democracy as we have come to assume it could be in danger.

Republicans have publicly said repeatedly this fairness is unacceptable. Just the other day, while arguing in the Supreme Court in the Arizona case, their lawyer claimed politics is a "zero sum game," and that fairness to others is directly unfair to Republicans. I am not aware that his opinion of how politics works was challenged, a seriously bad omen overall.

These are the stakes: Conservative idiocy and gamesmanship are both being waged in the pursuit of righteousness and power.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 04, 2021 08:39AM
This bill is more than enough to justify - even temporarily - removing the filibuster.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 04, 2021 08:44AM
sekker
This bill is more than enough to justify - even temporarily - removing the filibuster.

And a temporary removal might sway Manchin et al. But if he's hard core against it, he can kiss any Democrats gains goodbye, something he may not even really care about, I don't know.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 04, 2021 09:27AM
Wags

I agree. But of course, in the eyes of Republicans, simple and effective (and easy to vote) are all deal-breakers.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 04, 2021 10:07AM
deckeda
sekker

And a temporary removal might sway Manchin et al. But if he's hard core against it, he can kiss any Democrats gains goodbye, something he may not even really care about, I don't know.

Losing him (i.e. in 2022) might be short-term cost for long-term gain. Getting this bill passed might be the most important thing the Dems could do to fight all of the national voter suppression ongoing around the country,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 10:12AM by sekker.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 04, 2021 10:24AM
DOA in the Senate. Chuckie Schumes doesn't have any real prospect of repealing the filibuster, which means that the covid relief bill will be the only major piece of Democratic legislation passed this session.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 04, 2021 11:57AM
cbelt3
Wags
And as Trump explained, easy to sabotage as well. Not 'cause fraud', just ensure non-delivery. Any plan needs to include postal service protections.

Indeed. For most of my 70+ years I've always had the impression that the USPO was apolitical. Trump changed all that. I always take my ballot downtown and drop it off at the election offices. A minor inconvenience but still easier than queuing up at a polling place.
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 04, 2021 01:45PM
rjmacs
that the covid relief bill will be the only major piece of Democratic legislation passed this session.

I agree on the voting bill, that undoing the filibuster is unlikely. I cannot imagine how they can move Manchin.

But on the issue of other bills, the current relief bill is using last fiscal year's budget reconciliation since no budget passed. (They just used the Continuing Resolution.) They get another bite of the apple using this year's budget so they can do a second reconciliation bill. This is the 'infrastructure' bill they have been talking about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020