advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Good news: Murkowski supports Haaland
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 04, 2021 08:15PM
I like Deb Haaland. When earlier asked by Sen. Daines why she supported permanently protecting grizzly bears in 2019 this was the exchange Feb 23rd:

"Why would you sponsor a bill like that when the science tells us the bear numbers are well above the recovery targets?" he asked, citing the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem as an example.

"I imagine, at the time, I was caring about the bears," Haaland said.”

I’m other words, an F-you with a smile. My kinda person.

Murkowski‘s support was not expected because gas/oil. But there’s a sizable American Indian contingent in AK who are thrilled with Haaland and what she represents historically, so there’s that.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good news: Murkowski supports Haaland
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 04, 2021 08:40PM
She's a great woman.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 04, 2021 09:06PM
vision63
She's a great woman.

Thanks to Alaskan voting changes, she can be one of the rarest of modern politicians - a moderate.
Date: March 04, 2021 09:08PM
Oh, and this vote was a warning to MM - she is willing to go her own way on bigger bills, too.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 05, 2021 07:11AM
Collins and Manchin also support her nomination. Manchin being from a fossil fuels state, could have been a no vote.

I think she is one of Biden's best picks. Could not be more of a reversal from the 45 era.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 05, 2021 07:11AM
sekker
Oh, and this vote was a warning to MM - she is willing to go her own way on bigger bills, too.

That has always been the case with Murkowski.
Date: March 05, 2021 09:11AM
Lemon Drop
sekker

Agreed. Unlike Collins, Murkowski seems to have principles, and she lives by them. Collins' seems to float on a whim.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 05, 2021 10:44AM
sekker
Lemon Drop
sekker

Agreed. Unlike Collins, Murkowski seems to have principles, and she lives by them. Collins' seems to float on a whim.

My impression is that Murkowski thinks about an issue before she votes whereas Collins holds up a finger to the wind before she thinks at all.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 05, 2021 10:50AM
Ammo
sekker
Lemon Drop
sekker

My impression is that Murkowski thinks about an issue before she votes whereas Collins holds up a finger to the wind before she thinks at all.

Without Collins, there's no ACA. If she was put on earth to cast that single vote, then her mission has been fulfilled. Who knows how many lives have been saved. Now we just gotta work around her.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 05, 2021 11:08AM
Haaland as the Secretary of an agency that formerly considered its mandate to be the extermination of American Indians is incredibly meaningful. I'm glad that Biden chose her to lead this arm of the government, and I'm confident that she is an enormously capable administrator who can do the job well.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020