advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What will you feel comfortable doing, after you are fully vaccinated?
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 05, 2021 04:08PM
I am two weeks out, after my second Moderna shot.
I am going to visit my almost 90 year old mom, also fully vaccinated, tomorrow. This is the first visit in over a year.
My husband, also fully vaccinated, and I are trying to decide if we feel comfortable dining in at a nice restaurant, for our anniversary, later this month.
Maybe, hopefully, we will get to see our daughter later this spring or summer. I am not sure when she will be able to get her shots.
What will you feel comfortable doing, after you are vaccinated?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What will you feel comfortable doing, after you are fully vaccinated?
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 05, 2021 04:30PM
So glad you are visiting your family. My FIL passed away late last year of non-COVID issues, so we do not have any grandparents/ggp to visit.

Vaccination is just the first step, IMHO.

I'm looking forward to doing some travel - even visiting an IKEA store - without too much stress or fear that I might be an asymptomatic carrier.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 05, 2021 04:42PM
Between vaccination and wearing a K/N-95 mask, you really should be ab;e to partake in most sane activities. Just be sure to give your system at least two weeks after your second dose to become effective.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 05, 2021 04:44PM
Still take care as no vaccine claims 100% effectiveness.

Paul

Posted by: GGD
Date: March 05, 2021 04:47PM
I too look forward to visiting my mother for the first time since Feb 2020. It will require passing through two international airports and spending 5-6 hours sealed in a container with possibly 100 other people, and I plan to wear two masks the whole time.

At the rate California is going I might not be fully vaccinated until sometime in June.

Edit: And my mother had her second dose of Moderna last Sunday, so she'll be fully vaccinated long before I can visit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2021 05:00PM by GGD.
Date: March 05, 2021 04:50PM
Ombligo
Between vaccination and wearing a K/N-95 mask, you really should be ab;e to partake in most sane activities. Just be sure to give your system at least two weeks after your second dose to become effective.

Yep. Both mom and I are over the two week mark from the second shot.

Date: March 05, 2021 04:52PM
voodoopenguin

Paul

We still wear masks. I have just dropped back from two masks to one, unless it is a high risk environment, like at a doctor’s office

Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 05, 2021 04:57PM
My wife and I received our 2nd shots on Wednesday. In a couple of weeks she is flying to Tucson to visit her dearest aunt, who is 81 and battling dementia. For me, I’ll just be glad to get out and visit friends and walk into stores without it being a big deal. Stress-free haircuts and in-person Doctor visits. After that, volunteering.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 05, 2021 05:00PM
rgG
voodoopenguin

Paul

We still wear masks. I have just dropped back from two masks to one, unless it is a high risk environment, like at a doctor’s office

The only risk at a doctor's office would be from other patients...
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 05, 2021 05:07PM
voodoopenguin

Paul

I think they come within a hair of it when measuring severe cases after vaccination.

The worst case situation goes from dying to passing it on to someone else who dies. A big improvement for the individual but not nearly as big for society.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 05, 2021 05:14PM
I have been seeing my relatives and a couple of friends. I don't go to bars and don't like restaurants. I cut my hair with a Flo-bee. I don't shop much except for groceries. I will continue to double mask. So things won't change very much.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 05, 2021 05:20PM
voodoopenguin

Paul

Yes, and for some of us, the vaccine is likely to be far less than 100% effective; for example, in my case, I might guess it'll be about 50% effective. So no going anywhere for me, even once vaccinated, without my N95.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: March 05, 2021 05:33PM
sekker
rgG
voodoopenguin

Paul

The only risk at a doctor's office would be from other patients...

Exactly. Lol. Bunch of sickies.
I have been having to take my husband to more doctors than I care to think about lately. He has had a huge run of bad luck. Most of the time I can avoid going in, but not always.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2021 05:36PM by rgG.
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 05, 2021 05:43PM
I plan to bring out my kissing booth at events. No tongue though for a long time.
Date: March 05, 2021 06:04PM
vision63
I plan to bring out my kissing booth at events. No tongue though for a long time.

Lol. Glad to see you are playing it safe.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 05, 2021 06:08PM
Pretty much anything that involves being within 2 m of another person, like paying to get my hair cut, going to a movie, eating in a restaurant... After seeing what masks/handwashing/distancing did to this seasons flu outbreak, I expect that masks and hand sanitizer use might trail on for years.

So far it looks like vaccine problems are at least a magnitude lower than people without a vaccination who end up as long haulers. Even though I still don't trust mRNA vaccines completely, I really, really don't want to end up with Covid-19 if I can avoid it.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 05, 2021 06:42PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Pretty much anything that involves being within 2 m of another person, like paying to get my hair cut, going to a movie, eating in a restaurant... After seeing what masks/handwashing/distancing did to this seasons flu outbreak, I expect that masks and hand sanitizer use might trail on for years.

So far it looks like vaccine problems are at least a magnitude lower than people without a vaccination who end up as long haulers. Even though I still don't trust mRNA vaccines completely, I really, really don't want to end up with Covid-19 if I can avoid it.

I don't want you to get it!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 05, 2021 07:30PM
I just got over Covid, but because of the variants, I won't feel completely safe until I am vaccinated. After vaccination (and the sufficient time to build up immunity) I will simply resume many of the "old ways". However, I have always been a bit of a germophobe so I will probably continue to wear a mask and sanitize for the most part.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 05, 2021 11:04PM
I'm willing to go back to my normal routine, meaning close quarters in music venues, restaurants, etc. But I'm still waiting on a clear(er) picture with regard to the vaccines and which I'll choose and be able to obtain. So, not right away.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: March 05, 2021 11:17PM
> What will you feel comfortable doing, after you are fully vaccinated?

Nothing.

But I might sleep a little more easily.

Posted by: davester
Date: March 05, 2021 11:33PM
mrbigstuff
I'm willing to go back to my normal routine, meaning close quarters in music venues, restaurants, etc.

Sorry, but that sounds completely insane to me. The only activities I'm comfortable doing are outdoor exercise activities (bicycling, skiing, running, hiking, etc) where the risk is close to zero, and having outdoor parties with a group of people who are two weeks past their second vaccination. Everything else is verboten. Going back to normal routines means that a tone of Covid-ward nurses get more PTSD.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 05, 2021 11:38PM
davester
mrbigstuff
I'm willing to go back to my normal routine, meaning close quarters in music venues, restaurants, etc.

Sorry, but that sounds completely insane to me. The only activities I'm comfortable doing are outdoor exercise activities (bicycling, skiing, running, hiking, etc) where the risk is close to zero, and having outdoor parties with a group of people who are two weeks past their second vaccination. Everything else is verboten. Going back to normal routines means that a tone of Covid-ward nurses get more PTSD.

Why?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 06, 2021 07:29AM
I'm very glad to hear that people can safely reunite with family. Those separations have been painful. In a few weeks I'll feel safer creating more social opportunities for my Mom, while she can still enjoy them.

Hoping her little church will meet outdoors when it warms up. Though it's likely the entire congregation is vaccinated now, in which case indoors with masks amd distance could work too. She really misses the music.

I yearn to get on a plane and visit my sons, maybe by late summer.
Date: March 06, 2021 12:53PM
mrbigstuff
davester
mrbigstuff

Why?

1. Vaccines are not 100% effective. You can still get Covid if you inhale a large viral load.

2. You can still be a virus carrier so if you pick up the virus at a crowded bar (a very common vector) you can either get the disease of carry it home to infect your unvaccinated family members.

The only thing that's truly safe is a fully vaccinated (+2 weeks) person mingling closely with another fully vaccinated person.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 12:54PM by davester.
Date: March 06, 2021 12:55PM
davester
The only thing that's truly safe is a fully vaccinated (+2 weeks) person mingling closely with another fully vaccinated person.

You forgot about the variants.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 06, 2021 01:32PM
Sarcany
davester

You forgot about the variants.

The British variant is playing havoc with European numbers, over a million new cases last week.
Posted by: Michael
Date: March 06, 2021 01:51PM
We went to the house of some old friends who haven't seen anybody except family for a year and ate dinner. Outdoors and socially distant just because we're still hinky about the whole thing. We're all a month out from our second shots but it's going to be a long time before we just ignore the whole thing. I just bought the Purell singles that pRICE cUBE linked on the other side. Just because...
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 06, 2021 03:23PM
It's tough to say just how willing one should be to resume pre-Covid activities. While the vaccine should protect one from the more serious affects of Covid-19, it won't protect from all affects. So, like the flu - which is a total non-starter this year - we'll be always and forever being vaccinated against "this year's supposed mix of variants".

Things like cruises on large ships are going to be tough, even going out to eat at restaurants seems like taking a chance at least until most everyone's been vaccinated. Movies? Maybe. If they're limited seating. But theaters can't run like that. Sporting events? Maybe outside, but indoor? Hockey? Basketball?

Plopping oneself into a Petri dish of Covid-n just for the sake of "feeling normal again" should make everyone just a little wary. Beware means be aware!
Date: March 06, 2021 03:41PM
davester
mrbigstuff
davester
mrbigstuff

Why?

1. Vaccines are not 100% effective. You can still get Covid if you inhale a large viral load.

2. You can still be a virus carrier so if you pick up the virus at a crowded bar (a very common vector) you can either get the disease of carry it home to infect your unvaccinated family members.

No doubt caution is important and to be kept up for probably the remainder of this year (but hopefully prior to that), but I'm not planning to curtail the rest of my life for this. No way, no how. That's just not living, and frankly, if you live in a city like I do, you just cannot expect such extreme measures to continue. If those who are wary and nervous and want to move to less crowded locales, that's understandable. But city dwellers are here for a reason, to be around other folks who want to create, share, experience the difference of a vast array of cultures, and activities. I imagine that it won't be immediate, but it's coming and I'm absolutely participating in this thing we call life.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 06, 2021 04:43PM
I guess you could look at it as a matter of what the odds are for you in any particular situation. So far the data on a fully vaccinated person getting seriously ill is pretty encouraging. But there's always a but . . .

I wish everybody here the best outcome whatever your personal situation is.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 04:44PM by Ammo.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: March 06, 2021 09:14PM
The same thing I've been doing, nothing.

Per the CDC:

Do I need to wear a mask and avoid close contact with others if I have gotten 2 doses of the vaccine?

Yes. To protect yourself and others, follow these recommendations:
  • Wear a mask over your nose and mouth
  • Stay at least 6 feet away from others
  • Avoid crowds
  • Avoid poorly ventilated spaces
  • Wash your hands often
It’s important for everyone to continue using all the tools available to help stop this pandemic as we learn more about how COVID-19 vaccines work in real-world conditions. Experts are also looking at how many people get vaccinated and how the virus is spreading in communities. We also don’t yet know whether getting a COVID-19 vaccine will prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to other people, even if you don’t get sick yourself. CDC will continue to update this page as we learn more.

Together, COVID-19 vaccination and following CDC’s recommendations for how to protect yourself and others will offer the best protection from getting and spreading COVID-19. Additional information can be found at key things to know about the COVID-19 vaccine. [www.cdc.gov].
Date: March 06, 2021 11:23PM
mrbigstuff
No doubt caution is important and to be kept up for probably the remainder of this year (but hopefully prior to that), but I'm not planning to curtail the rest of my life for this. No way, no how. That's just not living, and frankly, if you live in a city like I do, you just cannot expect such extreme measures to continue. If those who are wary and nervous and want to move to less crowded locales, that's understandable. But city dwellers are here for a reason, to be around other folks who want to create, share, experience the difference of a vast array of cultures, and activities. I imagine that it won't be immediate, but it's coming and I'm absolutely participating in this thing we call life.

I understand the sentiment, but you seem to be assuming that your choices only affect the risk to yourself so you are free to do what you want. That is not the case. All of these restrictions are about protecting others. Right now, we have vast numbers of ICU nurses and doctors with severe PTSD, not to mention risking the lives of themselves and their families because others aren't willing to sacrifice their social lives in order to save the actual lives of others. The severe illness and death rates remain extremely high in the US despite getting over the holiday hump and the start of vaccine rollout. This is entirely because of the lack of willingness of people to sacrifice a little comfort and convenience for the greater good.

Date: March 06, 2021 11:31PM
davester
mrbigstuff

I understand the sentiment, but you seem to be assuming that your choices only affect the risk to yourself so you are free to do what you want. That is not the case. All of these restrictions are about protecting others. Right now, we have vast numbers of ICU nurses and doctors with severe PTSD, not to mention risking the lives of themselves and their families because others aren't willing to sacrifice their social lives in order to save the actual lives of others. The severe illness and death rates remain extremely high in the US despite getting over the holiday hump and the start of vaccine rollout. This is entirely because of the lack of willingness of people to sacrifice a little comfort and convenience for the greater good.

So, nothing will change, ever? I think you are not even paying attention to what Fauci is saying. He's essentially saying that once a percentage of people are vaccinated, we will be at that Valhalla of "herd immunity" (notwithstanding what we find out from the variants, which does remain to be seen and dealt with). Once that is achieved, I don't think anyone is going to stop you from distancing, mask wearing, avoiding crowds, not going to the cinema, theatre, concerts, restaurants, bars, shops, cafes, etc. You will still be free to not do those things. But I'm planning to do all of that once we are back to life, back to reality.
Date: March 07, 2021 02:42AM
mrbigstuff
So, nothing will change, ever? I think you are not even paying attention to what Fauci is saying. He's essentially saying that once a percentage of people are vaccinated, we will be at that Valhalla of "herd immunity" (notwithstanding what we find out from the variants, which does remain to be seen and dealt with). Once that is achieved, I don't think anyone is going to stop you from distancing, mask wearing, avoiding crowds, not going to the cinema, theatre, concerts, restaurants, bars, shops, cafes, etc. You will still be free to not do those things. But I'm planning to do all of that once we are back to life, back to reality.

The thread title was "What will you feel comfortable doing, after you are fully vaccinated?" I didn't say anything about nothing changing ever or what happens after herd immunity is reached. That's a question for a different thread. I'm fully vaccinated now and I'm not going into crowded venues anytime soon. Gotta take the load off of those health workers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 02:44AM by davester.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 07, 2021 03:54AM
davester
mrbigstuff

The thread title was "What will you feel comfortable doing, after you are fully vaccinated?" I didn't say anything about nothing changing ever or what happens after herd immunity is reached. That's a question for a different thread. I'm fully vaccinated now and I'm not going into crowded venues anytime soon. Gotta take the load off of those health workers.

I’m also fully vaccinated. It eases my mind while shopping for groceries or getting takeout food. But also eases my mind enough to eat in a nearly empty fast food restaurant. Unfortunately, I haven’t been using my small squeeze bottle of Purell that I keep in my car as religiously as before and now I seem to have gotten a minor head cold which was warning enough to get me back into the watchful and prudent habits I had developed over the last year.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 07, 2021 05:37AM
I'm also fully vaccinated and within a week of full (?) protection but I also recall that full protection isn't full. The best guess for Moderna and Pfizer is 95% and that's a guesstimate - subject to up or down revision once track records become more complete. J&J is 65% maybe.

So considering underlying factors, it's unlikely that, aside from seeing a lot more of family, we'll be doing anything very different
Date: March 07, 2021 09:31AM
Speedy
Unfortunately, I haven’t been using my small squeeze bottle of Purell that I keep in my car as religiously as before and now I seem to have gotten a minor head cold which was warning enough to get me back into the watchful and prudent habits I had developed over the last year.

Rhinovirus goes right through masks and is more likely than the coronavirus to spread via contaminated surfaces.

With schools reopening, even with decent coronavirus precautions, many of the kids and families get colds.

The coronavirus seems to spread more readily via aerosols than via surface-contamination, and with that knowledge many of us have likely become lax in our cleaning routines.

Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 07, 2021 12:46PM
Sarcany
Speedy
Unfortunately, I haven’t been using my small squeeze bottle of Purell that I keep in my car as religiously as before and now I seem to have gotten a minor head cold which was warning enough to get me back into the watchful and prudent habits I had developed over the last year.

Rhinovirus goes right through masks and is more likely than the coronavirus to spread via contaminated surfaces.

With schools reopening, even with decent coronavirus precautions, many of the kids and families get colds.

The coronavirus seems to spread more readily via aerosols than via surface-contamination, and with that knowledge many of us have likely become lax in our cleaning routines.

There's a lot about this virus that we still simply do not yet understand. For example it's mutating faster than would be expected for a typical coronavirus.

The basic problem is that the average human work setting is filthy, from a microbiological perspective, and it's not always the "usual suspects" ... for example, the toilet is probably cleaner than a number of other things: [www.webmd.com]

... and let's not get started on how children and young people are germ factories. barf smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 07, 2021 01:23PM
rgC,

What am I going to feel comfortable doing after I’m fully vaccinated? The same things I'm doing now. I drop off/pick up Little M from school. I go to and from work. I go to medical appointments (and only schedule them when absolutely necessary). Go to a local store only when absolutely necessary. If I'm out and about, I’ll continue taking safety precautions despite having the vaccine in me.

Masks. Physical distancing. Hand washing. Sanitizer if hand washing isn’t viable. Sanitizing surfaces. You get the idea.

Just because I’m protected (as much as reasonably possible) doesn’t mean I can’t get the virus period and/or if exposed to it, inadvertently pass it on to someone else. I’ll continue doing my part to protect myself and others. If people think I’m being crazy and/or over cautious, so be it. I’d rather be a part of the solution than contribute to the problem.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 01:24PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: March 08, 2021 04:31AM
I will be OK going to restaurants as long as they are still at limited capacity and have been modified to address air flow and social distancing. Movie theaters probably will be ok as long as the same restrictions are still in place, I'm not so sure about concert venues.

But the biggest thing that I will feel comfortable doing is hanging out with extended family.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: March 08, 2021 08:19AM
The CDC will issue new guidelines this week on what is safe for small groups of vaccinated people.
Date: March 08, 2021 08:23AM
Lemon Drop
The CDC will issue new guidelines this week on what is safe for small groups of vaccinated people.

I will be interested to hear what they say, but I suspect I know pretty much what it will be.

Date: March 08, 2021 09:02AM
rgG
Lemon Drop

I will be interested to hear what they say, but I suspect I know pretty much what it will be.

I think they are going to say that maskless small gatherings are OK, like in private homes. I consider the risk from that very low, certainly lower than the risk to my Mom's overall well-being if we continue to keep her isolated.
Date: March 08, 2021 11:05AM
Lemon Drop
rgG
Lemon Drop

I think they are going to say that maskless small gatherings are OK, like in private homes. I consider the risk from that very low, certainly lower than the risk to my Mom's overall well-being if we continue to keep her isolated.

I'm continually amazed at how few people understand your last point and, apparently, how few care about folks who are toward the final years of their lives.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020