Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
American Rescue Act passes Senate 50-49
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 06, 2021 11:38AM
Strict party line vote
No tie breaker needed, Sen. Sullivan was absent due to family emergency

Now back to House to vote on changes the Senate made.

Of note, not one Republican voted for this though polls show the bill has broad bipartisan support from the public.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: American Rescue Act passes Senate 50-49
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 06, 2021 11:50AM
Money is coming, vaccines are rolling out en masse. America gets to restart.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 06, 2021 11:59AM
If you can’t get a single Republican vote on Covid relief, on the first major bill in whatever honeymoon period exists, it seems unlikely you will ever get a Republican vote on any Dem bill.

They’re running ads against this Covid relief bill here in blue MN. Yup, against Covid relief, which enjoys something like 2-to-1 public support.

Either our system is broken, or one party is.
Date: March 06, 2021 12:10PM
vision63
Money is coming, vaccines are rolling out en masse. America gets to restart.

Yes, a good shot of optimism that we all needed.
Date: March 06, 2021 12:12PM
pdq
If you can’t get a single Republican vote on Covid relief, on the first major bill in whatever honeymoon period exists, it seems unlikely you will ever get a Republican vote on any Dem bill.

They’re running ads against this Covid relief bill here in blue MN. Yup, against Covid relief, which enjoys something like 2-to-1 public support.

Either our system is broken, or one party is.

One of the more absurd GOP talking points around here is that this bill has no money for SC and other red states, that it's a blue state bailout. Total lie...red states are getting billions in aid.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 06, 2021 12:17PM
I'm glad Manchin didn't bork the whole deal. We need to get rid of the filibuster, but he's our greatest challenge.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 06, 2021 12:19PM
This bill will reduce child poverty by half. Nothing this big has been done to reduce poverty in a generation.

Why not eliminate all that poverty instead of just half? We could if we wanted to.
Date: March 06, 2021 12:23PM
rjmacs
I'm glad Manchin didn't bork the whole deal. We need to get rid of the filibuster, but he's our greatest challenge.

And Sinema. Her behavior is bizarre.
Manchin has so much power now as the blue guy from the deep red state, will be interesting to see how he wields it. Sad to see him voting against more aid for his constituents by reducing unemployment benefits.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 06, 2021 12:29PM
Sinema went from Green Party left to Blue Red-dog Dem. Maybe another example of the left/right extremes being two sides of the same coin?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 06, 2021 12:32PM
How can conservatives want economic relief yet still support Republicans? I can’t do the math.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 06, 2021 01:10PM
Moscow Mitch knows how to delay the government.

He’s trying to buy time for 2022

Only there’s this Orange cancer he has to deal with too.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 06, 2021 03:16PM
Just wish more money was actually going to those who need it the most.

Couples making $150K/yr don't need it the most. Those who lost their minimum wage jobs, do…

And yes, crowing about cutting child poverty by half - when it could be solved once and for all - shows just how callous these DC creatures can be.

It's better than nothing really isn't.

Maybe someday there will be the resolve to cure poverty once and for all. Until then, keep on applying the band-aids and pray for the next Democratic administration…
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 06, 2021 03:22PM
bfd
Maybe someday there will be the resolve to cure poverty once and for all. Until then, keep on applying the band-aids and pray for the next Democratic administration…

Without voting rights legislation, there won't ever be a "next Democratic administration."

Without changes to the Senate rules, there won't ever be voting rights legislation.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 06, 2021 04:40PM
rjmacs
bfd

Without voting rights legislation, there won't ever be a "next Democratic administration."

Without changes to the Senate rules, there won't ever be voting rights legislation.

We won the House, the Senate and the Presidency despite vicious voter obstacles. It's not really suppression because no matter what they do, you can still vote. Just have to get past the hurdles. We don't ever have to lose.

I, myself, personally registered over 700 people in Georgia (and some Alabama). I had to see to it that they turned out to vote, after helping them get necessary identification and other things. I'm just one man. Add it up with everyone else, we found enough votes to win.

HR1 or no HR1. Losing isn't optional. These days, they create hurdles for their own voters too.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 06, 2021 11:32PM
vision63
I, myself, personally registered over 700 people in Georgia (and some Alabama). I had to see to it that they turned out to vote, after helping them get necessary identification and other things. I'm just one man. Add it up with everyone else, we found enough votes to win.

HR1 or no HR1. Losing isn't optional. These days, they create hurdles for their own voters too.

In case I didn't thank you before... Thank you! hail smiley

Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 07, 2021 04:03AM
AllGold
vision63

agree smiley I wish I had your zealousness to travel across the country like you did to back up your beliefs. I’m just too lazy so I send money instead.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 07, 2021 04:57AM
Speedy
AllGold
vision63

agree smiley I wish I had your zealousness to travel across the country like you did to back up your beliefs. I’m just too lazy so I send money instead.

I'm not that zealous. I have people in those places that are active. I get to stay there for free. My friend in Savannah is way more on point. She's the leader and I'm inspired to follow.
Date: March 07, 2021 05:54AM
vision63
I'm not that zealous. I have people in those places that are active. I get to stay there for free. My friend in Savannah is way more on point. She's the leader and I'm inspired to follow.

...and I was wondering if you might not be an on-the-books staffer.
Date: March 07, 2021 07:33AM
I doubt anyone who posts here has their right to vote threatened by these GOP vote suppression bills. But its important to care about the many people who are impacted by them. These things work or Republicans wouldn't care so much about them. Yes they lose some of their own voters but the real deficit is for Dems and they know that.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 07, 2021 07:54AM
Lemon Drop
rjmacs

And Sinema. Her behavior is bizarre.
Manchin has so much power now as the blue guy from the deep red state, will be interesting to see how he wields it. Sad to see him voting against more aid for his constituents by reducing unemployment benefits.

RgrF
Sinema went from Green Party left to Blue Red-dog Dem. Maybe another example of the left/right extremes being two sides of the same coin?

Pardon me while murder an analogy...

I look at Sinema’s climb and maybe I’m cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs, but I swear I can see a frighteningly canny, and likely incredibly cynical, politician marching across the political landscape like Hannibal through the mountains. Building as she goes a constituency with fibers running in every major faction.

A Rainbow Coalition for the 21st century? The Independent Wonder Candidate Bernie, or any of the others, never managed to be?

I think she wants the White House, and in a functional sense has never been running for anything else.
Date: March 07, 2021 07:59AM
It was Georgia Republicans who championed mail balloting in the early 2000s and automatic voting registration just five years ago, only to say they need to be limited now that more Black voters have embraced them.
Date: March 07, 2021 08:07AM
RgrF
It was Georgia Republicans who championed mail balloting in the early 2000s and automatic voting registration just five years ago, only to say they need to be limited now that more Black voters have embraced them.

Exactly. They wrote the effing rules and now don't like them.

All the more reason we need federal voter protections.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 08:08AM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2021 01:49PM
The state GOP knows what they need to change from the last election - they are closing those gaps now. The next election will be even harder.

Until the Dems win back the states, the road will just get steeper.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 07, 2021 02:08PM
Ombligo
The state GOP knows what they need to change from the last election - they are closing those gaps now. The next election will be even harder.

Until the Dems win back the states, the road will just get steeper.

That's true. Their most effective tactic is using social media to plant division. Sow FUD. Tamp down enthusiasm. That can't be legislated against.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020