advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What's next on the Democrat's legislative agenda?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 06, 2021 12:33PM
After the current legislation plays out one way or another?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's next on the Democrat's legislative agenda?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 06, 2021 12:55PM
Hopefully pull their stuff together. They are already losing cohesion.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 06, 2021 12:58PM
HR-1.

=wr=
Posted by: vision63
Date: March 06, 2021 01:00PM
wave rider
HR-1.

That, Immigration and Infrastructure.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 06, 2021 01:03PM
When do we set up FEMA camps?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 06, 2021 01:04PM
wave rider
HR-1.

Yes. If people can't vote we're up @#$%& creek.

Also minimum wage.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 06, 2021 01:08PM
Infrastructure

HR1 is dead unless they end the filibuster.
Date: March 06, 2021 01:15PM
sekker
Infrastructure

HR1 is dead unless they end the filibuster.

They're not going to end the filibuster. People need to get that out of their heads. Democrats have been discussing ways around the filibuster. This can totally happen. People need to understand, guys like Schumer, Manchin and Biden are friends. They like each other. They talk to each other. But because of yesterday's minimum wage amendment vote, looks like hiking it is likely dead because they voted no, can't turn around and vote yes and then endure Republicans calling them flip-floppers.

Democrats can’t kill the filibuster. But they can gut it.
[www.washingtonpost.com]
Date: March 06, 2021 01:23PM
Those no votes didn't represent opposition to the concept, all of those Dems have independently expressed support for a minimum wage increase of some sort.

Also...underestimate Pelosi and Schumer at your own risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 01:24PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 06, 2021 01:25PM
cbelt3

Democrat cohesion is an oxymoron.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 06, 2021 01:34PM
Ombligo
cbelt3

Democrat cohesion is an oxymoron.

Who would want to be in such a large group where everybody marches lockstep? That's just weird.
Date: March 06, 2021 01:46PM
4 months ago we were on the brink of losing our Republic.
Date: March 06, 2021 01:48PM
vision63
4 months ago we were on the brink of losing our Republic.

Thank God for Joe Biden.

And 2 months ago we were on the brink of having McConnell hold the Senate. Thank you again, Georgia
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 06, 2021 01:50PM
If the goal is to not lose power the next mid-terms, lockstep works - even if you have to hold your nose while doing it. The mess left by the GQP isn't going to be fixed in a two year stint and if they lose either branch of Congress, the following two years will see nothing but obstruction topped by a 24-month Presidential campaign.

So yeah - lockstep works. If necessary, bribe the newbie from AZ and cretin from WV. If Dems don't get HR-1 enacted, they'll be ceding power to an ever more authoritarian and gerrymandered right wing for the foreseeable future.

edit: to add a 7 year old Tweet from Red-Dog Sinema

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 02:32PM by RgrF.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 06, 2021 02:31PM
I expect to see a compromise on a minimum wage at something less than $15/hr. $12 is my guess.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 06, 2021 03:05PM
All of these pipe dreams will be to no account if the current changes in climate aren't reversed. Now. Within a century, everything we're talking about fixing will all be gone.

Of course, truly forward thinking has never really been much of a political strength - at any point in history.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 06, 2021 03:19PM
If the Democrats can't pass voting rights legislation, they might as well hand the keys to the GOP in perpetuity. vision63's linked article is about modifying, not eliminating, the filibuster. I wish that Chuckie Shumes were nearly the parliamentarian that McConnell is, because that might be a way to get progress. As of now, I'm unconvinced.

If we can't find a way around Mitch's GREAT WALL OF OBSTRUCTION, the Democrats are doomed in 2022. There's no way that reconciliation bills are going to win the day, if that's all we can get accomplished in the Senate. The minority has decided that total stonewalling is their strategy, and nothing will be passed that Democrats can lay claim to before the mid-terms.

Eliminating the filibuster is the best way forward. It's just that simple. It's not possible, because Manchin can't be controlled. Sucks to be us, but if the Democrats are going to 'respect the institution' and 'obey the parliamentarian,' they'll just be bailing water until the next cannonball sinks the ship in 18 months.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 06, 2021 04:13PM
RgrF
If the goal is to not lose power the next mid-terms, lockstep works - even if you have to hold your nose while doing it. The mess left by the GQP isn't going to be fixed in a two year stint and if they lose either branch of Congress, the following two years will see nothing but obstruction topped by a 24-month Presidential campaign.

So yeah - lockstep works. If necessary, bribe the newbie from AZ and cretin from WV. If Dems don't get HR-1 enacted, they'll be ceding power to an ever more authoritarian and gerrymandered right wing for the foreseeable future.

By "lockstep" I meant the irrational following of one leader or one agenda without regard for constituents or much else. You know, like the GOP.
Dems can compromise and govern and make sausage the old fashioned way without becoming a group of zombies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 04:39PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: March 06, 2021 04:31PM
Lemon Drop
RgrF

By "lockstep" I meant the irrational following of one leader or one agenda without regard for constituents or much else. You know, like the GOP
Dems can compromise and govern and make sausage the old fashioned way without becoming a group of zombies

Exactly. Nobody elected their representative to be "controlled." Congress is a beautiful thing. Everyone takes for granted all of the great things that we've accomplished via our legislature. We're just living it now. We'll work it out. Just gotta keep winning.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 06, 2021 05:10PM
rjmacs

Eliminating the filibuster is the best way forward. It's just that simple. It's not possible, because Manchin can't be controlled. Sucks to be us, but if the Democrats are going to 'respect the institution' and 'obey the parliamentarian,' they'll just be bailing water until the next cannonball sinks the ship in 18 months.

Eliminating the filibuster is the best way forward. I haven't yet given up hope that there may be some modifications to the filibuster, though, that Manchin might buy into (I know, I tend to be more optimistic than I should). I think that Maddow mentioned the other day that they could modify the filibuster so that just HR 1 is not subject a filibuster (I think she may have even mentioned an example of the Republicans in the Senate doing something similar a few years ago). If so, they should at least try to do that. Though getting Manchin to buy it might be tough depending on which side offers him the more enticing overall deal.

Unfortunately, I think there's a good chance that you are right that we are likely headed toward a cannonball sinking the ship all too soon. I wonder if Manchin will be satisfied with his choices if that happens.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 06, 2021 05:49PM
What's next on the Democrat's legislative agenda?

FEMA CAMPS
Texas Invasion
All children must wear dresses through junior high
Big Parade with Putin as Grand Marshall (oops, sorry, wrong president)
Date: March 06, 2021 06:13PM
dang it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 06:50PM by vision63.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 06, 2021 06:35PM
vision63
Ted King
rjmacs

Eliminating the filibuster is the best way forward. I haven't yet given up hope that there may be some modifications to the filibuster, though, that Manchin might buy into (I know, I tend to be more optimistic than I should). I think that Maddow mentioned the other day that they could modify the filibuster so that just HR 1 is not subject a filibuster (I think she may have even mentioned an example of the Republicans in the Senate doing something similar a few years ago). If so, they should at least try to do that. Though getting Manchin to buy it might be tough depending on which side offers him the more enticing overall deal.

Unfortunately, I think there's a good chance that you are right that we are likely headed toward a cannonball sinking the ship all too soon. I wonder if Manchin will be satisfied with his choices if that happens.

Manchin is not a conflicted man. He gets on my nerves. He has his values. He expresses them everyday [twitter.com] He's confident in them. Also, by and large, he's generally willing to compromise. People ride him on a handful of votes. He sacrifices his values all the time to vote for Democratic legislation.

He didn't put himself in this position. Every problem we have is due to losing some election somewhere. We shouldn't even have him, Sinema, Kelly, Ossoff and Warnock.

Imagine if Espy had won in Mississippi. We just count that state out now politically during this congress. If he had won, what a great thing that would be. We'd probably be giving him the finger over a handful of votes he would have to make to preserve his seat.

I agree with your observations of Manchin and I don't think anything I said about him contradicts your observations.

What I was trying to say is that I agree with rjmacs that if the Democrats don't pass HR 1 (or some similar version of it) that the Republicans will be able to keep winning enough elections due to voter suppression that it could easily be a very long time before the Democrats have a chance to rectify the suppression - you can't vote to get rid of the voter suppression if the voter suppression is successful in suppressing your votes. I hope Manchin fully understands that that can easily happen and makes his choices accordingly. I hope he chooses what's best for the country in the long run.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 06:38PM by Ted King.
Date: March 06, 2021 06:48PM
dangit..

I hate using the effing iPhone to type with!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 06:51PM by vision63.
Date: March 06, 2021 07:19PM
vision63
dangit..

Can't you dictate and send?
Date: March 06, 2021 07:22PM
RgrF
vision63
dangit..

Can't you dictate and send?

It freaking won't let me place the cursor in a specific location. It'll select the whole word, then when I try to fix it, I end up deleting everything. I'm sure there's a method to the madness because I don't hear anyone else complaining. Just me.

I need a real keyboard to fly out of the phone.

I don't want people to hear me fomenting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 07:23PM by vision63.
Date: March 06, 2021 08:04PM

Time to put your fingers on a diet!
Date: March 06, 2021 08:16PM
RgrF

Time to put your fingers on a diet!

I gotta stop mashing the buttons.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 06, 2021 10:47PM
vision63
It freaking won't let me place the cursor in a specific location. It'll select the whole word, then when I try to fix it, I end up deleting everything. I'm sure there's a method to the madness because I don't hear anyone else complaining. Just me.
I have many problems trying to post here and FB and Twitter on a phone. I try to avoid it. I never mention it because I thought it was an old lady thing and I wanted to avoid being mocked for being a Boomer.

Posted by: btfc
Date: March 06, 2021 11:52PM
“ It freaking won't let me place the cursor in a specific location. It'll select the whole word, then when I try to fix it, I end up deleting everything. I'm sure there's a method to the madness because I don't hear anyone else complaining “

Not just you. For the last year or two I’ve been doing the majority of my posting on an iPhone. More edits, errors, and shorter posts as a result.

Learning that you can drag the cursor has been a breakthrough.
Date: March 07, 2021 07:37AM
Ditto!

I've been posting here from my phone since November, when I dropped my laptop and it took a while to get it fixed, due to me.

Lots of typos and the weirdest autocorrect imaginable. I appreciate it when folks ignore the typos...
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 07, 2021 08:34AM
btfc
“ It freaking won't let me place the cursor in a specific location. It'll select the whole word, then when I try to fix it, I end up deleting everything. I'm sure there's a method to the madness because I don't hear anyone else complaining “

Not just you. For the last year or two I’ve been doing the majority of my posting on an iPhone. More edits, errors, and shorter posts as a result.

Learning that you can drag the cursor has been a breakthrough.

Second this^.

Touch (a single light touch) the text you want to edit; if the cursor isn’t where you want it, touch the screen anywhere with 1 finger and keep that touch going until a larger cursor appears just above your finger. Then move that one finger to place the cursor.

Lift finger. Voila.

PS - doesn’t work if you’re trying to select non-editable text (ie you’re trying to copy something). Then a touch selects a word with movable start and end cursors, as I imagine you already know.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 08, 2021 04:49AM
Press and hold the space bar for a second or two, then position the cursor. Might take a little practice to get the hang of it. Selecting and copying, forget about it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020