advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Isaac Asimov
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 06, 2021 04:18PM
from 1974

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 06:00PM by RgrF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Issac Asimov
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 06, 2021 04:26PM
Wow, this explains so much! I've often thought of the Republican faithful as not just ignorant, but proudly so. What a grade school attitude.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 04:27PM by Ammo.
Date: March 06, 2021 04:38PM
Ammo
Wow, this explains so much! I've often thought of the Republican faithful as not just ignorant, but proudly so. What a grade school attitude.

The "strain of ignorance" goes back forever and previously reached it's zenith with William Jennings Bryan who came close but never snatched the ring. Trump did snatch that ring.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 06, 2021 05:34PM
I can't think of anyone I respect more than Isaac Asimov. My wife and I named our son "Isaac" because of him. The summer after I graduated from high school, I read his non-fiction book, The Universe; from flat Earth to Quasar and it expanded my mental horizons immensely. So many big ideas presented in a way that my young, haphazardly developed brain could understand. I could look out at the night sky with even more awe than I had for it before I read the book. Somehow his words helped me feel connected to the vastness of the universe - a vastness that on occasion in my life at the time felt like it was dwarfing me into insignificance.

So, yeah, I love that quote. It is so true.

Edit: oh, no biggie but Isaac has one "s" and two "a"s.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 05:36PM by Ted King.
Re: Isaac Asimov
Date: March 06, 2021 06:02PM
I knew that but for me, at least, posting typos are mandatory + it's the weekend so my copy editor is off skiing.

PS: Happening today in Idaho. THIS of the sort of thing he might have had in mind when issuing that quote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2021 06:18PM by RgrF.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 06, 2021 10:37PM
Anybody else have the urge to kern the second line tighter to eliminate the hyphen? Working in an actual typesetting company pre-Macintosh has scarred me for life.

Posted by: sekker
Date: March 06, 2021 11:30PM
Carl Sagan said much the same.

The issue is that the internet makes ignorant people look educated enough to fool even more of the gullible population.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 07, 2021 03:15AM
sekker
Carl Sagan said much the same.

The issue is that the internet makes ignorant people look educated enough to fool even more of the gullible population.

The issue is that the internet makes ignorant politicians look educated enough to fool even more of the gullible population.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 07, 2021 07:06AM
$tevie
Anybody else have the urge to kern the second line tighter to eliminate the hyphen? Working in an actual typesetting company pre-Macintosh has scarred me for life.

I thought I was the only one bothered by things like this. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 07, 2021 07:59AM
nothing wrong with the hyphen.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 07, 2021 08:36AM
[en.wikipedia.org]

"About 25% of 2,200 Americans surveyed believe in a geocentric solar system (that the sun orbits the earth),[33] and in 2014 35% of Americans could not name any branch of the U.S. government.[34] The U.S. is ranked 52nd out of 139 nations in quality of educational instruction and 12th in the number of university-educated adults.[35] At universities, student anti-intellectualism has resulted in the social acceptability of cheating on schoolwork, especially in the business schools, a manifestation of ethically expedient cognitive dissonance rather than of academic critical thinking.[36]"

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: March 07, 2021 08:43AM
$tevie

Yup, it would have flowed better.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2021 09:22AM
PeterB
[en.wikipedia.org]

"About 25% of 2,200 Americans surveyed believe in a geocentric solar system (that the sun orbits the earth),[33] and in 2014 35% of Americans could not name any branch of the U.S. government.[34] The U.S. is ranked 52nd out of 139 nations in quality of educational instruction and 12th in the number of university-educated adults.[35] At universities, student anti-intellectualism has resulted in the social acceptability of cheating on schoolwork, especially in the business schools, a manifestation of ethically expedient cognitive dissonance rather than of academic critical thinking.[36]"

There is a reason our Founding Fathers like Jefferson believed in education. They knew that an uneducated democracy could not stand the test of time due to issues like Populists. In addition, they made a representative democracy with the goal that you needed some sort of education to be able to make key decisions.

Do not get me wrong, I am a big fan of voter rights. But we might be at the most critical junction of our history these next 10 years (we passed one test Nov 3, 2020 and the entire peaceful transition of power). But we have many key issues ahead of us - do the GOP actually believe in the power of the voter anymore? Do we want to let computer algorithms amplify and thus sway so many voters? Are we even going to invest long-term in public education for all?

EDIT: fixed a typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 11:14AM by sekker.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 07, 2021 10:15AM
sekker
PeterB
[en.wikipedia.org]

There is a reason our Founder Fathers like Jefferson believed in education. They knew that an uneducated democracy could not stand the test of time due to issues like Populists. In addition, they made a representative democracy with the goal that you needed some sort of education to be able to make key decisions.

Do not get me wrong, I am a big fan of voter rights. But we might be at the most critical junction of our history these next 10 years (we passed one test Nov 3, 2020 and the entire peaceful transition of power). But we have many key issues ahead of us - do the GOP actually believe in the power of the voter anymore? Do we want to let computer algorithms amplify and thus sway so many voters? Are we even going to invest long-term in public education for all?

Yes, it's rather ironic that about half the US population apparently does NOT want people to be educated-- because generally speaking, the uneducated generally do not think critically, are more easily swayed by rhetoric, and can be manipulated to vote their feelings rather than the facts. It's all very Orwellian, and ultimately was what allowed a demagogue to rise to power-- as feared by the Founders.

Look at what is happening right now in Texas, Mississippi, and elsewhere. "I'm done with masks", says one lady from Texas.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: wave rider
Date: March 07, 2021 10:29AM
Did Asimov’s Foundation series get ported to the screen or did I miss it?

=wr=
Posted by: Ted King
Date: March 07, 2021 10:37AM
wave rider

[www.youtube.com]
Date: March 07, 2021 11:31AM
Ted King
wave rider

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Ted. I am hopeful it comes out before my AppleTV+ subscription runs out…

=wr=
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2021 01:41PM
I'd like to use that quote in my signature for my work email at school, but I would get so shut down for politicizing. I'm already pushing boundaries with the one I use now.

'You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.' --Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 07, 2021 02:11PM
Ombligo
I'd like to use that quote in my signature for my work email at school, but I would get so shut down for politicizing. I'm already pushing boundaries with the one I use now.

'You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.' --Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Probably for the best - sigs have never been know to change anyone's thought patterns. If you can change a mindset with a quote it wasn't a mindset to begin with - it was a blank slate.

Maybe why I have them turned off in preferences at MRF
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 07, 2021 04:57PM
RgrF

Maybe why I have them (sigs) turned off in preferences at MRF

And now, you don’t get to see my cute little dancing bear GIF. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Wags
Date: March 07, 2021 05:01PM
Ted King
I can't think of anyone I respect more than Isaac Asimov. My wife and I named our son "Isaac" because of him. The summer after I graduated from high school, I read his non-fiction book, The Universe; from flat Earth to Quasar and it expanded my mental horizons immensely. So many big ideas presented in a way that my young, haphazardly developed brain could understand. I could look out at the night sky with even more awe than I had for it before I read the book. Somehow his words helped me feel connected to the vastness of the universe - a vastness that on occasion in my life at the time felt like it was dwarfing me into insignificance.

So, yeah, I love that quote. It is so true.

Edit: oh, no biggie but Isaac has one "s" and two "a"s.

My sister, who is a now retired academic, was seated next to him at some sort of banquet. As the evening progressed and the wine flowed he shared some of his naughty limericks with her. I've always valued his "Guide to the Bible" which comes in handy when debating a fundamentalist.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 07, 2021 05:41PM
I am hopeful it comes out before my AppleTV+ subscription runs out…

It's always nice to take advantage of a free offer.

Unless this production stinks, it would be worth the $5/mo. to sign up once all the episodes are out.

Apple often releases three episodes at once, and that could easily be worth $5.

The remaining episodes are then released on a weekly basis.

That's 4-5 episodes a month, so wait one or two months, and one has the rest of the season for another $5, probably $10 total.

Then there's always other content one might find interesting to max out their $10.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: March 07, 2021 09:33PM
RAMd®d
I am hopeful it comes out before my AppleTV+ subscription runs out…

It's always nice to take advantage of a free offer.

I like to think of it as a complementary offer. Apple has gotten plenty of my dollars in the last year; MBP16 and an iPhone 12 Pro Max.

More Ted Lasso seasons will keep me in the fold as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020