advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Manchin on Meet the Press. He's not going to let the GOP defeat HR 1
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 07, 2021 08:42AM
Seems very promising. Good to hear this.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Manchin on Meet the Press. He's not going to let the GOP defeat HR 1
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 07, 2021 09:12AM
I'll be nervous until it passes.

Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2021 09:15AM
All talk. Take the risk, define the end of the filibuster for the protection of civil rights in this country.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 07, 2021 10:14AM
Didn't see the show so I don't know the context of the statement here ... but how would any one senator prevent the GOP from defeating it UNLESS he agrees to end the filibuster?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 07, 2021 11:56AM
deckeda
Didn't see the show so I don't know the context of the statement here ... but how would any one senator prevent the GOP from defeating it UNLESS he agrees to end the filibuster?

The filibuster is just a Senate rule - it can be modified by a majority of senators however they choose. For example, they could change the rules to eliminate the filibuster on legislation affecting voting rights, or even make a specific exception for HR1. It doesn't need to be all-or-nothing, as was demonstrated when Harry Reid, and then Mitch McConnell, led their majorities to change the rules on filibustering executive and judicial appointments.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 07, 2021 03:03PM
rjmacs
deckeda

The filibuster is just a Senate rule - it can be modified by a majority of senators however they choose. For example, they could change the rules to eliminate the filibuster on legislation affecting voting rights, or even make a specific exception for HR1. It doesn't need to be all-or-nothing, as was demonstrated when Harry Reid, and then Mitch McConnell, led their majorities to change the rules on filibustering executive and judicial appointments.

Would be very easy to limit the end of the filibuster to civil rights / voting rights, as the Jim Crow era induced the filibuster to end changes in voting rights back then.
Posted by: bfd
Date: March 07, 2021 03:10PM
He's The Manch(ur)i(a)n Candidate…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020