advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
why does the media care so much about Meghan and the UK scandals?
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 08, 2021 07:27AM
I want to hear about real problems, like US racial problems, the virus, vaccines, economic recovery, etc.

Allegedly, The British Royals are racist. They discussed the skin color of the unborn baby. does US really care about what they think? they are an ocean away, have nothing to do with our country.

And now they talk again about Diana and her upcoming 60th birthday. When will it end?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: why does the media care so much about Meghan and the UK scandals?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 08, 2021 07:31AM
US media and many US citizens are a bit royal family mad. There's a desire to have our own 'royal family'.... the whole 'first lady' bit hearkens to that.

The interpersonal stuff in 'The Firm' is painful though. The idea of a mixed race royal baby is far 'worse' than a Prince being a noted pedophile that Epstein had his hooks into.

Like any media, one can avoid and ignore.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 08, 2021 07:37AM
Perhaps a certain measure of Schadenfreude?

"...the experience of pleasure, joy, or self-satisfaction that comes from learning of or witnessing the troubles, failures, or humiliation of another."

But a much larger amount of Iconoclasm?

"...the social belief in the importance of the destruction of icons and other images or monuments, most frequently for religious or political reasons."
...challenges "cherished beliefs or venerated institutions on the grounds that they are erroneous or pernicious."
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 08, 2021 07:55AM
Because there are many that do care for whatever reason.

It's not like there is limited space on the internet, or covering them means that the Congress won't be covered. Just ignore what you don't want.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: March 08, 2021 08:02AM
“England and America are two countries separated by the same language!”
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 08, 2021 08:21AM
Ombligo
Because there are many that do care for whatever reason.

It's not like there is limited space on the internet, or covering them means that the Congress won't be covered. Just ignore what you don't want.

For some reason, my husband thought he wanted to watch a little of the interview. We watched about 10 minutes before he said we should find something else.
I don't really see why people feel the need to go on TV to air their family problems, whether it is with Oprah and a "royal" family or the crazy people on Maury or Dr. Phil and the like. I don't really care who the father is on Maury or to hear about how mean the people who live in palaces are. I will watch a series like The Crown though, go figure. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 08, 2021 08:38AM
People want to know, so Oprah offers. The Sussex's have no assets to trade on except their personal brand, so they show up.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 08, 2021 09:00AM
All in all, pretty gross. Racism in the Royal Family? Wow, thanks for the scoop. The incredible difficulties of very, very rich people, how can we not be concerned!! All 3 of them are a parody.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 08, 2021 09:13AM
space-time
I want to hear about real problems, like US racial problems, the virus, vaccines, economic recovery, etc.

Sounds like you're not the target market.

space-time
When will it end?

Seemingly never.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 08, 2021 09:14AM
Parliament should dissolve the monarchy...life estate for the queen & hubby, pension off everyone else or just hire them to run the various royal charities.
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 08, 2021 09:17AM
Bill in NC
Parliament should dissolve the monarchy...life estate for the queen & hubby, pension off everyone else or just hire them to run the various royal charities.

I will spring for that. Royals a bunch of fallderall. Like fancy dressed puppets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 09:19AM by samintx.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 08, 2021 09:21AM
H&M are mere pawns in the QueenAnon conspiracy aimed at bringing down the German Battenbergs and their grip on the throne and treasures.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 08, 2021 09:34AM
Bill in NC

FWIW "The Firm" is fabulously wealthy on their own. Substantial land and property holdings all over the world.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 08, 2021 09:39AM
cbelt3
Bill in NC

FWIW "The Firm" is fabulously wealthy on their own. Substantial land and property holdings all over the world.

All of which could be nationalized.

The government could hold another national referendum on the matter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 09:41AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 08, 2021 09:50AM
Bill in NC
cbelt3
Bill in NC

They could call it "Rexit."
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 08, 2021 09:51AM
Janit
Bill in NC
cbelt3
Bill in NC

They could call it "Rexit."

Regit, unless the queen dies & Charles becomes king.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 08, 2021 10:34AM
August West
All in all, pretty gross. Racism in the Royal Family? Wow, thanks for the scoop. The incredible difficulties of very, very rich people, how can we not be concerned!! All 3 of them are a parody.

This. But I think there is a little more when it comes to Meghan's story. And there is a small analogy with Donald Trump.

People forget that the royal family are a bunch of people have been raised in isolation. They are not terribly well educated, and there is little indication that they have much in the way of intellectual pursuits. Charles has some, but he has gone off into some crackpot territory.

That's where the Trump analogy comes in -- a guy who obviously has some learning disability and lives largely in wealthy isolation and gets his information largely from the warped context of Fox News, rather than from give and take with smart and educated people. Diana was terribly uneducated, and Elizabeth was the equivalent of home schooled. The princes got sent to prestigious boarding schools, but that is an isolation of its own. They don't any of them seem to have had the experience of going to the supermarket and going home to fry something for dinner.

Meanwhile, Meghan seems to be a person who had a life of her own, to the extent that she was a successful television actress. This is a lot harder than it seems, and for everyone who makes it, there are a hundred who don't. It's incredibly competitive. Then, all of a sudden, she is in a situation where she can't go for a drive or stop somewhere for lunch. There are a lot of perks, but they are different perks. It must be rather suffocating to suddenly be treated like you are 12 years old going on 14, with thousands of nosy neighbors looking over your back fence.

I wonder if the fascination with the royals (what a weird way to describe them) is not unlike a more elite version of The Bachelor, where the public get to await the Prince finding his Cinderella. The difference is that the prince that Disney artists drew at least has a chin.

The British have figured out that the existence of the royal family is worth a lot more in tourist income than the overall cost to the public treasury. Unlike previous kings and queens, these ones are not constantly summoning Parliament to enact a new tax to pay for the invasion of France.

As for me, if they can find a Plantagenet, I would like to see that. Alternatively, somebody should leave a sword thrust deep into a rock out in front of the palace. Even into an ash tree if you want to go all Wagnerian about it. But the problem with this royal family is that they are boring, and that's because their job is ultimately boring. I suspect that the last time the royal family was useful was during WWII.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 08, 2021 10:48AM
mattkime
space-time

Sounds like you're not the target market.

space-time
When will it end?

Seemingly never.

Since 1066 and still going!
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 08, 2021 10:48AM
samintx

I will spring for that. Royals a bunch of fallderall. Like fancy dressed puppets.

Not much to say about the Royals. I do love that Sam spells folderol like a true Texan.

Todd's Adesso y'all keyboard
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 08, 2021 10:55AM
They bring a lot of tourism $$ into GB...
Posted by: hal
Date: March 08, 2021 11:43AM
space-time

Allegedly, The British Royals are racist. They discussed the skin color of the unborn baby. does US really care about what they think? they are an ocean away, have nothing to do with our country.

And now they talk again about Diana and her upcoming 60th birthday. When will it end?

Where I get my news, this was headline news for a few hours and then was quickly reduced to the 'Entertainment' section which I ignore. If you're tired of it, change your news source.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 08, 2021 12:03PM
sekker

"They" being the queen, Prince William, and Kate. The hundreds of other "royals" are a bunch of upper class twits who do nothing for the country.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 08, 2021 01:35PM
sekker

I’m going challenge that to a certain extent. I’ve been lucky enough to have toured around the UK, and I NEVER saw ANY of the “Royals”.
That fact did not prevent me from visiting scores of historic “royal” sites and viewing thousands of historic “royal” artifacts.

We don’t need a living descendant of Governor William Berkeley to hold office to visit and appreciate Colonial Williamsburg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 01:55PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 08, 2021 03:13PM
I'm sorry to see this because I think Prince Harry is a good guy. Meghan clearly wasn't prepared for life in that family.

The most alarming thing to me in the interview is her claim that she was refused help after revealing that she felt suicidal. This was when she was pregnant the first time. She was told it wouldn't be good for the royal family. Harry can't just take his wife to a doctor?

This is really tough to believe. The younger royals had been involved in very high profile campaigns in support of mental health.
Date: March 08, 2021 03:24PM
sekker

Yes they do. They add about 1.8 billion pounds a year to the UK economy, as of 2017. That includes productivity of the lands they own plus impact on a number of industries including tourism.

They are one of the world's most highly valued brands.

But that is not the main reason that a majority of the British public wants to keep the monarchy. It's simply an important aspect of their culture and history. Warts and all. Whether that sentiment continues is always an open question.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: March 08, 2021 03:52PM
Acer

Nope the Germans are fairly recent
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 08, 2021 04:54PM
Lemon Drop
I'm sorry to see this because I think Prince Harry is a good guy. Meghan clearly wasn't prepared for life in that family.

The most alarming thing to me in the interview is her claim that she was refused help after revealing that she felt suicidal. This was when she was pregnant the first time. She was told it wouldn't be good for the royal family. Harry can't just take his wife to a doctor?

This is really tough to believe. The younger royals had been involved in very high profile campaigns in support of mental health.

The media in the UK are vicious toward the royals. Paparazzi and TMZ muckrakers here in the U.S. have nothing on the scum that troll anyone associated with the monarchy in England.

It's inexcusable to deny anyone who needs mental health (or any health) support those services, and I'm not making excuses for anyone in the royal institution, including the Firm, for doing that. That being said, I don't find it that tough to believe it happened.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: March 08, 2021 04:58PM
Harry had already been very open about his own mental health struggles and about receiving care. I just can't understand why he himself would not make sure Meghan had appropriate care.

Anyway she's obviously in good health now.
Date: March 08, 2021 05:00PM
Lemon Drop
Harry had already been very open about his own mental health struggles and about receiving care. I just can't understand why he himself would not make sure Meghan had appropriate care.

It seems clear to me, at this point, that if you want to control your life and actions, you have to leave the royal family FIRST. His way of taking care of his family was to get them OUT.

rj
AKA
Posted by: $tevie
Date: March 08, 2021 05:01PM
I think deriding people's interest in the Monarchy is like deriding someone's interest in sports teams, or Star Wars, or video games. We all have different things we like that other people find boring or stupid.

Plenty of people want to know what's going on behind those ancient walls.

[Not to mention, if Black Twitter can be believed, there's a lot of Black people who find this story engaging, since it has magnified daily barbs and disses onto one of the largest stages in the world.]

But for the most part, if TV covers something, you can bet your life people want to see it or there would be nobody buying ad time for the program. You might as well ask why shows like The Voice or The Bachelor (both of which I would kill myself before I would watch) are popular. This is why there's an expression: to each his own.

Date: March 08, 2021 05:03PM
$tevie
This is why there's an expression: to each his own.

Also, there's no accounting for taste.

rj
AKA
Date: March 08, 2021 05:07PM
rjmacs
$tevie

Also, there's no accounting for taste.
I've stopped worrying about taste in regards to TV. I think what books you read or what magazines you subscribe to is more important than what you like to lie on your couch and zone out to.

Date: March 08, 2021 05:15PM
rjmacs
Lemon Drop

It seems clear to me, at this point, that if you want to control your life and actions, you have to leave the royal family FIRST. His way of taking care of his family was to get them OUT.

Yes
Date: March 08, 2021 05:18PM
Steve G.
Acer

You're both correct.
Date: March 08, 2021 05:29PM
Lemon Drop
Steve G.
Acer

You're both correct.

Long live the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, errrr, I mean, Windsor......

rj
AKA
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 08, 2021 06:11PM
CBS thinks the public is drawn to the Royals, they bet $8 million on it.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 08, 2021 07:06PM
People need something to believe in (like the monarchy) that’s bigger than themselves. Not sure why.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: March 08, 2021 07:17PM
$tevie
I think deriding people's interest in the Monarchy is like deriding someone's interest in sports teams, or Star Wars, or video games. We all have different things we like that other people find boring or stupid.

Yeah, like folks who are into bull fighting, dog fighting, cock fighting, bear baiting etc.

devil smiley
Posted by: August West
Date: March 08, 2021 08:28PM

People need something to believe in (like the monarchy) that’s bigger than themselves. Not sure why.

Very true. Trying to sort and classify an irrational world has always been my best hypothesis for that behavior.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 08, 2021 11:15PM
There are a large number of people in Commonwealth countries around the world that are very interested about how the modern Royal Family treats a member who is not from the pure Master Race.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 09, 2021 12:25AM
Ummmmmm, because Trump is old news and the media need fresh meat to kick around. boink smiley
Date: March 09, 2021 12:46AM
DeusxMac
$tevie

Yeah, like folks who are into bull fighting, dog fighting, cock fighting, bear baiting etc.

devil smiley
So you think watching bull fighting is like watching Oprah interview some ex-pat royals?

Date: March 09, 2021 12:49AM
Date: March 09, 2021 07:33AM
$tevie

Funny.
Oprah reported that Harry told her neither of his grandparents made the skin color comment. He seems to have a good relationship with them.
Date: March 09, 2021 08:07AM
$tevie
DeusxMac

devil smiley
So you think watching bull fighting is like watching Oprah interview some ex-pat royals?

Hey, it's just a matter of...

$tevie
We all have different things we like that other people find boring or stupid. This is why there's an expression: to each his own.
Date: March 09, 2021 11:08AM
DeusxMac
$tevie
DeusxMac

devil smiley

$tevie
We all have different things we like that other people find boring or stupid. This is why there's an expression: to each his own.
Not sure why you confuse "to each his own" with issues of animal cruelty, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you know animal cruelty is wrong and are just pounding away at a very weak analogy because you are stubborn.

Date: March 09, 2021 11:24AM
$tevie
DeusxMac
$tevie
DeusxMac

devil smiley

$tevie
Not sure why you confuse "to each his own" with issues of animal cruelty, but I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you know animal cruelty is wrong and are just pounding away at a very weak analogy because you are stubborn.

The point is that ALL such, can I say, obsessions, are legitimate topics for inquiry into WHY certain individuals are captivated by them; what are the qualities of those obsessions that enthrall them, and why?

Why would a person be interested in a dog fight? Why would a person be interested in a NASCAR race? Why would a person be interested in a building demolition? Why would a person be interested in the personal lives of the ultra-wealthy?
Date: March 09, 2021 11:29AM
I was pretty clear that I was discussing what one is "interest"ed in and not what laws people break.

I don't come on here and tell everyone what dullards they are for the various tv shows and movies that have been discussed ad infinitum. So let me watch one @#$%& show about H&M without acting like it's some sort of national psychotic break.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2021 11:31AM by $tevie.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: March 09, 2021 08:52PM
The Irish Times has feelings on the whole ‘royals’ thing.

For starters...
”Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

Beyond this, it’s the stuff of children’s stories. Having a queen as head of state is like having a pirate or a mermaid or Ewok as head of state. What’s the logic? Bees have queens, but the queen bee lays all of the eggs in the hive. The queen of the Britons has laid just four British eggs, and one of those is the sweatless creep Prince Andrew, so it’s hardly deserving of applause.”

He goes in from there. Ewoks. Ouch.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 09, 2021 09:12PM
Thanks!

Freyne's piece in the 'Times was fantastic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020