advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Should I claim my medical 'condition' to get the vaccine sooner?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 11, 2021 05:40PM
Poll
Should I claim my medical 'condition' to get the vaccine sooner?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
38 votes were received.
Yes, don't feel ashamed for getting the vaccine as soon as possible. 35

92%
No, be patient, you'll get it soon 3

8%

It looks like I'll be in the next group eligible for vaccine before its open to all adults here in Wisconsin. I have asthma which makes me eligible - but it doesn't really impact my life....I mainly notice it doing vigorous exercise or it might hamper my breathing if I have a chest cold. I think if I wanted to be fair, I'd wait for vaccination to open for all. But I'm impatient and likely going on a trip to visit my in laws mid may.

As I say this out loud, I should probably just get it. I wouldn't fault someone else for doing it. The vaccine rollout is going relatively well mostly due to a good supply of vaccine.

I dunno, what do you think?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Should I claim my medical 'condition' to get the vaccine sooner?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: March 11, 2021 05:44PM
Get it. Contracting COVID-19 could be extra rough for you with asthma.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: March 11, 2021 05:45PM
Get the shots.

The more of us vaccinated, the better.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 11, 2021 05:45PM
Look for sites where they take walk-ins, bring a mask - you are likely to get one.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 11, 2021 05:52PM
Do it.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 11, 2021 06:00PM
Sure, the asthma is manageable while you're otherwise healthy. But it may not be if you contract covid and have a strong adverse reaction. People with comorbidities like respiratory conditions are supposed to get the jab before otherwise similar people without resp. cond'tns, as they are at higher risk.

Get the vaccine sooner if you can.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 11, 2021 06:11PM
Just do it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 11, 2021 06:21PM
You legitimately have a health condition that makes you eligible earlier, so yes, get it. That your health condition is not a day-to-day problem doesn't really matter.

Posted by: space-time
Date: March 11, 2021 06:25PM
I have asthma which makes me eligible DO IT!!!

My concern is with the people who LIE that they have a medical condition to get the shot sooner. Some even claim they smoke, which the do not.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 11, 2021 06:30PM
Tonight Biden is expected to announce a May 1st target to get everyone who want's eligible to be vaccinated. That's only a little more than 6 weeks from today, it's ambitious just hope it can be done for the sake of all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2021 08:06PM by RgrF.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 11, 2021 06:48PM
lost in space
Get it. Contracting COVID-19 could be extra rough for you with asthma.

Bingo. Even if your asthma is well-controlled now, there's no telling what might happen if you were to get the clown carnival of what this virus does to your lungs. The data seems to suggest that asthmatics are not at greater risk, but every person is different, and lots of people who DON'T have asthma have died from this virus.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 11, 2021 06:48PM
We’re probably going to do something similar here. Wife has a chronic condition and I’m hypertensive. We don’t need to lie, but nor are we dropping down at death’s door. Meanwhile there are lots of people in this town who likely don’t think the virus is real.
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 11, 2021 07:00PM
Do it.
You aren’t cheating.
They have you in that group for a reason.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 11, 2021 07:15PM
I have asthma and it presents in pretty much thr exact same way as you describe. But i also recall that the initial fears of asthmatics having a worse outcome turned out to be false. I'm on my phone so search and post is a pain but even my doc did not note that I'd be more at risk.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: March 11, 2021 07:30PM
Get the shots at the first legally available opportunity. That's the way the system is designed. There will probably be plenty of vaccine and available appointments within a few weeks anyway.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: March 11, 2021 08:36PM
You have no way of knowing how your condition may make it easier for the virus to destroy your health. You may not exhibit severe asthma symptoms but the virus doesn't care. One less case means less chance of hospitalization, one less person for dozens of health workers to take care of, one less person carrying and spreading this to others. Get it.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 11, 2021 08:49PM
Get it. Or else....

and you ain't gonna like the "or else"... ! ! !
==
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 11, 2021 09:55PM
If you qualify according to your state's eligibility rules then get it. If you're able to get an appointment easily, that's a pretty good indicator that supply is greater than demand in your area, so you're not preventing another eligible person from getting it.
Posted by: kj
Date: March 11, 2021 11:51PM
I'm waiting patiently, but I have hypersensitivity pneumonitis which doesn't affect me much if I don't breath a lot of organic material, but when it's my turn, I'll get it. It's good to think of others, but in this case, it probably makes sense to just follow directions.
Posted by: davester
Date: March 12, 2021 12:27AM
don't overthink it. Everybody who gets vaccinated helps us all. If your number comes up...DO IT!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 12, 2021 09:59AM
I felt the same way. My company is technically essential. So everyone here qualifies for group 3. However, I've been coming to work and being careful, and generally not being a moron. So I felt someone else might need it more so I should just wait. But then at one of our neighborhood "soirees", one of the neighbors basically said @#$%& that. If you are eligible, take it. If there is some way that you can get it early (legally or morally speaking) then do it. They were talking about people who volunteered could get it sooner so they knew people who were volunteering just for that reason. Basically just do it.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 12, 2021 10:13AM
Matt,

You're thinking about this way too much. Get the vaccine. It's a no-brainer.

Robert
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 12, 2021 02:36PM
Have you asked your doctor's opinion?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 12, 2021 08:10PM
RgrF
Have you asked your doctor's opinion?

I haven't seen my new doctor yet although a year ago he generously gave me prescriptions via a phone consultation in prep for the oncoming pandemic. Next time I talk to him he'll want to confirm I am indeed as healthy as I claim to be.

Isn't this the relationship everyone has with their doctor as long as you've avoided ongoing treatment for chronic conditions?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 435
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020