advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What’s your status on receiving a COVID-19 vaccine now?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 25, 2021 06:50PM
Poll
What’s your status on receiving a COVID-19 vaccine now?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
65 votes were received.
Have received both shots of a two-shot vaccine 20

31%
Have received first shot of a two-shot vaccine 23

35%
Have received sole shot of a single-shot vaccine 2

3%
Have not received any shot of any vaccine, but will as soon as possible 17

26%
Do not wish to receive any shot at this time; prefer to wait 2

3%
Do not wish to receive any shot at any time 1

2%
For health reasons I cannot receive any shot 0

0%

For an updated snapshot.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What’s your status on receiving a COVID-19 vaccine now?
Posted by: steve...
Date: March 25, 2021 07:30PM
I'm scheduled for my 1st Moderna shot on Monday and the second on April 27 (at the VA clinic).

Northern California Coast
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 25, 2021 07:36PM
....only.....shot.....in the dark......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 25, 2021 07:39PM
I’m scheduled for the first shot in the week, not sure which logo it will have

Posted by: DewGuy
Date: March 25, 2021 08:11PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 08:23PM by DewGuy.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: March 25, 2021 08:14PM
I voted that I received the first shot, but that is scheduled for Saturday, they will schedule shot #2 while I'm there.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 25, 2021 08:41PM
DewGuy
I'm not registered, not scheduled, and won't be unless I get a choice of which vaccine I receive.

Just skip it altogether. The effect, for you, might be the same in this case. And if everyone else around you is lucky, for them as well.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 25, 2021 08:53PM
DewGuy
I'm not registered, not scheduled, and won't be unless I get a choice of which vaccine I receive.

Might as well schedule and then call up and ask what you will get. Can always cancel and try again the next time. Some places can put you on a waiting list for a certain one, if they are nice.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 25, 2021 09:03PM
DewGuy

Here in SoCal registration carried that info so you could skip any not offering what you want - none of them featured Sputnik so you may be out of luck domestically.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 25, 2021 09:14PM
Frankly, I think it's absolutely crazy to be picky. This is one thing that you should get RIGHT NOW - any way, any how. THere are no bad covid vaccines. To me this is like a kid looking at an airplane thoroughly unconvinced that such a thing can get off the ground and stay there. That kid it completely unqualified to have any opinion at all on the subject. Me and vaccines? I don't know a damned thing (and a couple of hours of reading on the internet isn't going to change that). When Fauci says, 'here, take this' - I take it - period.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 25, 2021 09:39PM
DewGuy

Going for one of each? Got three arms?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: March 25, 2021 10:00PM
Speedy
DewGuy

Going for one of each? Got three arms?

Not now, but maybe later after the chips mature.
Date: March 25, 2021 10:29PM
......the state site listed which shot is given at each location before registering [ at least in my state ]........

Date: March 25, 2021 10:33PM

Posted by: davester
Date: March 25, 2021 10:55PM
DewGuy
hal
Frankly, I think it's absolutely crazy to be picky. This is one thing that you should get RIGHT NOW - any way, any how. THere are no bad covid vaccines. To me this is like a kid looking at an airplane thoroughly unconvinced that such a thing can get off the ground and stay there. That kid it completely unqualified to have any opinion at all on the subject. Me and vaccines? I don't know a damned thing (and a couple of hours of reading on the internet isn't going to change that). When Fauci says, 'here, take this' - I take it - period.

I think they speak for themselves and as far as I'm concerned there is a difference. Per the CDC:

Pfizer-BioNTech - 95% effective
Moderna - 94.1% effective
Johnson & Johnson - 66.3% effective

No, you're wrong. Those numbers are based on different measures of success against different virus variants. Arguably the J&J vaccine may be more effective than the two mRNA vaccines. However, there's not enough data to tell for sure. There is zero indication that any one of those vaccines is better than the others.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 25, 2021 10:55PM
DewGuy
I think they speak for themselves and as far as I'm concerned there is a difference. Per the CDC:

The trials have run at different times. In particular, the variants were in play for J&J. Those numbers do not compare apples to apples.

There is no evidence of efficacy differences between the vaccines.

Posted by: sekker
Date: March 25, 2021 11:02PM
And all 3 vaccines prevent death, severe disease and reduce symptoms if you are unlucky to be hospitalized.

There are very few obvious answers in health care. These vaccines are the positive exception.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 25, 2021 11:22PM
Just got an appointment for next Friday. Huzzah.

Protip: For online scheduling, the next set of appointments become available around midnight.
Date: March 26, 2021 12:24AM

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 26, 2021 12:28AM
DewGuy
If the vaccine effectiveness percentages are not comparable to each other then what is the point of the CDC making them public?

If Johnson & Johnson's numbers are lower because it is less effective against Covid-19 AND the variants, doesn't that still make it less effective?

If the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines aren't as effective against the variants then shouldn't people vaccinated with those vaccines be getting infected by the variants?

Is it too much to ask for a vaccine to prevent infection? Preventing hospitalization and death is a good thing, but isn't it just a small percentage of people that are affected to that extent?

Getting vaccinated and still being susceptible to the virus and still being able to pass it on doesn't make much sense to me.

Far less likely to get infected and noticeably more mild symptoms makes plenty of sense. Nothing is a guarantee, but greatly reducing your odds is always worth it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 26, 2021 05:58AM
The makers of the vaccines are tweaking them as new variants arise.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: March 26, 2021 06:56AM
mattkime
DewGuy

The trials have run at different times. In particular, the variants were in play for J&J. Those numbers do not compare apples to apples.

There is no evidence of efficacy differences between the vaccines.

....this......news programs have stressed that you can't compare the #s to each other as they are for each individual study........

Posted by: sekker
Date: March 26, 2021 08:08AM
DewGuy
If the vaccine effectiveness percentages are not comparable to each other then what is the point of the CDC making them public?

If Johnson & Johnson's numbers are lower because it is less effective against Covid-19 AND the variants, doesn't that still make it less effective?

If the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines aren't as effective against the variants then shouldn't people vaccinated with those vaccines be getting infected by the variants?

Is it too much to ask for a vaccine to prevent infection? Preventing hospitalization and death is a good thing, but isn't it just a small percentage of people that are affected to that extent?

Getting vaccinated and still being susceptible to the virus and still being able to pass it on doesn't make much sense to me.

In the middle of a pandemic, the vaccine is all about reducing the massive impact on the population in real-time, and reducing hospitalizations is critical. Once the R<1, then the vaccine's job is to block new spread.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 26, 2021 08:15AM
Filliam H. Muffman
WA recently announced that 60- 64 will be eligible next Wednesday. There are currently about 4% of reservations in my country going unfilled, not counting no-shows. My guess is that I might be able to get a shot three or four days before the next group gets eligibility on the 15th.
I have no idea which vaccine I will get. When I checked three days ago, the current reservation system did not seem to provide that info. It's like nobody thought to prepare for this until two months ago. RollingEyesSmiley5

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 26, 2021 09:02AM
deckeda
DewGuy

Just skip it altogether. The effect, for you, might be the same in this case. And if everyone else around you is lucky, for them as well.

I disagree. Get the vaccine.
Date: March 26, 2021 09:18AM
DewGuy

People would be angry if they weren't making them public. Don't share them and you're hiding something, share them and people are annoyed they don't mean what they want them to mean.

DewGuy

NO. The variants did not exist when the other two were tested. I don't think there's information that breaks out 'effectiveness vs covid-19' vs 'effectiveness vs variants'

DewGuy

Its likely happening but their trials occurred before the more infectious variants

DewGuy
Is it too much to ask for a vaccine to prevent infection?

I'm not sure where to go with this for a variety of reasons but you're asking for something that isn't possible right now.

DewGuy
Preventing hospitalization and death is a good thing, but isn't it just a small percentage of people that are affected to that extent?

I just looked up the numbers. 2.5% of people age 18-49, and then it goes up to 17% for people age 85 and older. Perhaps 2.5% is small to you, but its very large in absolute numbers. Ask doctors and nurses if its a small number.

Personally, I don't see any upside to a 2.5% chance that I could end up hospitalized due to covid. Its a risk I'd prefer to eliminate from my life.

DewGuy

Unfortunately we're dealing with percentages instead of absolutes. We don't have anything that provides an absolute but we do have something that dramatically changes the percentages for the better. And if enough of us change our percentages by getting the vaccine, we do end up somewhere close to an absolute guarantee.

Date: March 26, 2021 09:24AM
pdq
deckeda
DewGuy

I disagree. Get the vaccine.

Of course I disagree as well. I’ve been jabbed once and go back for my second in a couple weeks. I just figured, DewGuy doesn’t want protection, he wants a guarantee and the best way to achieve that outcome is to forfeit the game entirely.

You’ve heard me say over and over again that this curious and relentless pursuit of perfection in all forms will surely kill us all. In this case, perhaps literally.

Nevermind that infection rates across the country have gone down after vaccines were rolled out. No, mitigation and eventual elimination apparently isn’t a worthy goal. Only a solid guarantee has value here, like flipping off a light switch. “And by 2pm next Wednesday the pandemic will officially be over. You have our promise!”

I’m tired of that paranoia, of that selfish need for a personal tutor to say it’s OK to understand the bigger picture, and to join society like an adult. I’m so done with all of that. My sympathies and empathies have been drained by every soul who refuses to help me, you, and everyone else willing to think beyond their nose.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 26, 2021 09:27AM
Agreed.

Peace.
Date: March 26, 2021 09:40AM
Somehow I think it gets lost that the vaccine doesn't fight covid, our immune system fights covid. If you get a vaccine and then get covid, its not necessarily the vaccine that failed - the vaccine introduced your immune system to a specific protein and it needs to use that info to fight covid.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: March 26, 2021 09:46AM
DewGuy

Do you understand what the attack rate is? Do you understand efficacy rates? Lemon Drop posted this elsewhere, and I found it to be a useful reference.

Do you grasp that 95% efficacy vs. 66% efficacy means that compared to the unvaccinated population, your chances of serious covid illness is either almost entirely eliminated or cut by two thirds?

The number of people who mask and distance, and limit their exposure to large numbers of people already experience very low attack rates of covid-19. The vaccine is an insurance policy in the event that you are exposed anyway, despite your precautions. They may not absolutely prevent infection, but all signs indicate that they reduce transmission even if you're infected, and they reduce your chances of experiencing serious consequences from the disease.

Honestly, your hesitancy reeks of privilege and elitism. Do what you want - it's clear you've decided that your preferences are more important than the common good. More vaccines for those of us who care about everyone getting through this alive.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Pam
Date: March 26, 2021 09:52AM
Still waiting for a J&J vaccine opportunity. Supply was supposed to ramp up next week but Va will receive less than half expected. Even more disconcerting is that the state system seems like it will only use the other two vaccines. This will make it harder and take longer for me to get my shot.
Date: March 26, 2021 09:59AM
In a practical sense, given what we know about infection probabilities based on proximities and so on, vaccines are better than insurance.

I drive every day “betting” I will get into a car accident and hurt someone else. Having an insurance policy places that expectation upon me by default and effectively makes ME liable for their health based on my actions. On the other hand, my realistic chances of actually getting into an accident like that remain vanishingly low.

Society has accepted that as a worthy risk nonetheless, with every state in the land compelling such a personal insurance policy. But half a million people die from a virus and its this not-invented-here syndrome all over again. Let’s recreate that wheel, wring our hands and worry what it may “do” to us if we get jabbed. Yeah, that’s rational ... not.
Date: March 26, 2021 11:07AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 08:24PM by DewGuy.
Date: March 26, 2021 11:10AM
DewGuy
If I were to receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, based on it's effectiveness I would never feel comfortable letting my guard down and would continue wearing mask, social distancing, etc. sad smiley

Guess what? It’s the same with the others. No one has ever recommended tossing masks away after vaccination. Not sure who may have implied differently to you.
Date: March 26, 2021 11:30AM
DewGuy
If I were to receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, based on it's effectiveness I would never feel comfortable letting my guard down and would continue wearing mask, social distancing, etc. sad smiley

As it should be until area numbers come down.

...and once again, its exactly the same with the other vaccines.
Date: March 26, 2021 11:49AM

Date: March 26, 2021 11:50AM
.....they said even if you get vaccine.......you still need to keep up mask protocols.....it doesn't matter which vaccine you get........

Date: March 26, 2021 11:56AM
DewGuy
deckeda
DewGuy

Guess what? It’s the same with the others. No one has ever recommended tossing masks away after vaccination. Not sure who may have implied differently to you.

CDC says vaccinated people can under certain circumstances.

Yes they have, but if you’d like to take additional precautions it sounds like you already know how to do that.

I’m sorry that vaccines are not a silver bullet, bu they remain better than essentially a real one. It’s time to pick what you’ll get worried about, and what’s not worthy of your time.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 26, 2021 12:04PM
I’m currently sitting in the observation area of CVS, having just received Moderna#1!
Date: March 26, 2021 12:11PM
....some people mistakenly think that vaccine is 'panacea' and once they get it....they are fully protected now (100%)......one can get the vaccine and still catch COVID.....percentage wise, it is much lower......

....that is why doctors say even if you get vaccine, to keep up the same safety protocols....

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 26, 2021 12:13PM
I just got my first shot of Moderna this morning. My Dr. wanted me in last Friday but I had another appointment that day. (62 years old with a few health concerns).

The shot was virtually painless and so far, no ill effects.

The nurse who gave me the shot said they were doing 70 per day and she would split that with another nurse.

With the 15 minute wait to see if I had a reaction, I was out of there in less than a half hour.

This is in Northern MI.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: March 26, 2021 12:22PM
S. Pupp
I’m currently sitting in the observation area of CVS, having just received Moderna#1!

The local health dept does them at the county fairgrounds here. It's a drive-through, under a large tent. Their protocol is to have "patients" afterwards drive to a parking lot nearby and wait there for 15 mins.

As if I would be able to crawl or drive back the 100 yards, if suffering a severe reaction?? LOL. I sat there for maybe 5 minutes and since there was no cell signal available, decided it was safer to get the hell home instead. I think we all agreed a 4.5 out of 1 million chance is an acceptable level of risk.

For me I had a mild buzz from it shortly afterwards. Lost a solid hour's worth of work after looking at the computer screen and saying to myself, "Yeah no it's time for a break." smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 12:24PM by deckeda.
Date: March 26, 2021 01:25PM

Date: March 26, 2021 01:33PM
DewGuy
I'm not sure I'd trust a pharmacy tech to administer it.

They do flu shots so I think they have some practice. I'm curious about the protocol if there's a reaction to the shot, although I believe the odds are overwhelmingly small (but not zero)
Date: March 26, 2021 03:19PM
DewGuy
I don't handle new situations well, and this whole thing is overwhelming me.

Also, you are insistent on having everything go just as you want as a coping mechanism. That might be complicating matters.

rj
AKA
Date: March 26, 2021 03:24PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 08:25PM by DewGuy.
Date: March 26, 2021 03:33PM
DewGuy
mattkime
DewGuy

They do flu shots so I think they have some practice. I'm curious about the protocol if there's a reaction to the shot, although I believe the odds are overwhelmingly small (but not zero)

As I understand it, pharmacy techs in Michigan only have to be 18 years old and a high school graduate, they don't have any specialized training, they're just employees that work in the pharmacy.

Intramuscular injections are the easiest of all to administer. The syringes are designed specifically for vaccine administration, and the process is very simple.

rj
AKA
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: March 26, 2021 03:46PM
1st shot scheduled for Tuesday.
My wife is scheduled for April 7th.
Date: March 26, 2021 03:52PM
DewGuy
mattkime
DewGuy

As I understand it, pharmacy techs in Michigan only have to be 18 years old and a high school graduate, they don't have any specialized training, they're just employees that work in the pharmacy.

1) Who told you that?
2) Why does it matter?
Date: March 26, 2021 03:54PM
rjmacs
DewGuy
I don't handle new situations well, and this whole thing is overwhelming me.

Also, you are insistent on having everything go just as you want as a coping mechanism. That might be complicating matters.

Not quite.

He doesn't know how he wants it to go. He cannot state it, at least never completely.

Which leaves basically everything open to question and suspicion. Forever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020