advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Have I found the cure to political spam?
Posted by: hal
Date: April 03, 2021 03:22PM
Obama is on my @#$%& list. At some point before the election, I saw a tweet that Obama put out asking to text to this number with a difficult pandemic story. I don't know what was thinking, but I did it. I got an immediate thank you and a request for a donation.

A few days later I start getting messages like, 'Hi, this is Amy with the Anti Evil Republicans group and we could really use your help...'

One after another after another. All kids of different req's looking for $ support for various causes. I'm stupid, I know - they caught me off guard in an emotional moment and I paid for it. They were coming at me from different #s every time. Maddening, but the election ended and so did the spam - YAY!!

Until yesterday... 'Hi, I'm David...blah, blah, blah, Newsom, blah, blah, blah, recall election...

ARGH!!!

I reply '@#$%& Off!!!'

A while later I get a reply - 'I understand! Be well and enjoy the rest of your day.'

I reply, 'so you’re going to take me off your list - right? because I promise to vote the opposite of any spam i get from now on - Newsom is going DOWN!'

the next day I get, 'I'm opting you out of texts immediately. Have a great day.'

I don't believe it, but I think I'll reply to all political spam like this - maybe it'll work.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Have I found the cure to political spam?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 03, 2021 04:04PM
That would tick me off, too. But I'm pretty fond of Obama so I'd still probably give him a pass.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 03, 2021 04:14PM
They shared your number with other organizations. They do it immediately. There's no way to stop them. It grows exponentially.

You can get off of one list with a "STOP" message, but you'll still get messages from the others, and as they each share with more and more groups the problem will just get worse unless you block all messages from anyone who isn't in your contacts list.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 03, 2021 04:50PM
I think this is the main reason that Bernie didn't share his fundraising lists. He knows how frustrating it is to get put on political spam lists.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 03, 2021 06:34PM
It seems that once I "unsubscribe" to emails, Apple Mail starts putting them in my junk folder. Unsubscribing from political emails doesn't work, but the end result is the same: I don't see them more than once from each sender.

EDIT: Just remembered a similar story to hal's.
Back in the days of pre-email and landlines, I was being flooded with calls from the DCCC because I had made the mistake of donating to some Democrat or other. I finally got so angry that I told the guy "So help me God, if the Democrats call me one more time I will vote a straight GOP ticket and I'm not effing kidding you!!". That was the last call.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2021 06:38PM by $tevie.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 03, 2021 11:49PM
hal, it’s possible the original Obama message was using his name without permission.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: April 04, 2021 02:51AM
Before the elections, I was getting all these email asking for money and using various email aliases like trainDemocrats or some such. They tended to have similar styles, and they all asked me for $3 or $5 for some particular candidate. It would be useful to have a list of trustworthy groups/websites that maintain their integrity and don't trade your information.

On the other hand, there should be a legal precedent that you are the owner of the rights to your email address and your phone number. Counter to that, I think that since I pay the phone company for the use of their system, they should provide me free access to an online reverse lookup so I could check to see whether an incoming call used a spoofed phone number and if not, who the caller is/was.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 04, 2021 02:41PM
Ca Bob
It would be useful to have a list of trustworthy groups/websites that maintain their integrity and don't trade your information.

I'm gonna put that in the IPU category. I would need some proof before I believe it.
Invisible Pink Unicorn https ://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 04, 2021 04:09PM
Ca Bob
It would be useful to have a list of trustworthy groups/websites that maintain their integrity and don't trade your information.

It almost doesn't matter.

Every state raises money by selling voter registration info and DMV info to political groups.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 58
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020