advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
YAAY! More Guns! 'Iowa governor signs bill allowing permitless purchase, carry of handguns'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 04, 2021 06:31PM
Just in time for the Fourth of July Revolution!

Iowa governor signs bill allowing permitless purchase, carry of handguns
[thehill.com]

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) on Friday signed a bill that allows people to purchase and carry handguns in the state without a permit.

“Today I signed legislation that protects the 2nd Amendment rights of Iowa’s law-abiding citizens while still preventing the sale of firearms to criminals and other dangerous individuals,” Reynolds wrote in a statement.

“We will never be able to outlaw or prevent every single bad actor from getting a gun, but what we can do is ensure law-abiding citizens have full access to their constitutional rights while keeping Iowans safe,” she added.

The legislation, which some advocates are calling “constitutional carry,” according to the Des Moines Register, will go into effect on July 1.

The bill makes it optional for Iowans to obtain handgun carry permits and go through background checks when purchasing firearms through unlicensed sales, including websites and gun shows, The Associated Press reported.

If individuals in Iowa opt to not receive permits, however, they must pass a background check when purchasing from a federally licensed dealer, the Des Moines Register noted.

In addition, Iowans who do not have a permit or go through safety training will be permitted to carry a gun into public places, including grocery stores and malls, according to The Associated Press.

The bill does, however, require courts to report to a state law enforcement database when an individual is deemed ineligible to be in possession of a firearm because of mental health reasons, the Des Moines Register reported.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: YAAY! More Guns! 'Iowa governor signs bill allowing permitless purchase, carry of handguns'
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 04, 2021 06:36PM
And backwards into the 1800's we go!
Re: YAAY! More Guns! 'Iowa governor signs bill allowing permitless purchase, carry of handguns'
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 04, 2021 07:08PM
Pew pew pew!!!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 04, 2021 08:12PM
Lemme understand.

1. I can buy from a licensed dealer and get a background check.

2. I can buy from *anyone else* skip the background check.

3. Permits = worthless, meaningless.

Something about this doesn’t sound right, and a lot of it has to do with #2.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: April 04, 2021 08:26PM
deckeda
Lemme understand.

1. I can buy from a licensed dealer and get a background check.

2. I can buy from *anyone else* skip the background check.

3. Permits = worthless, meaningless.

Something about this doesn’t sound right, and a lot of it has to do with #2.

agree smiley
Posted by: Rolando
Date: April 04, 2021 11:24PM
Republicans work for the NRA
NRA works for Putin
Therefore....MURRICAH!!!!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 05, 2021 11:39AM
Minnesota did this already, and it was terrible - and we have a constitutional right to hunt and fish.

Glad to know, I will be avoiding wandering south unless I absolutely have to.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 05, 2021 01:24PM
About 18 states had some form of permit-less carry before Iowa, they are just the latest. Many states have this for both handguns and long guns.
Posted by: Z
Date: April 05, 2021 06:03PM
So much stupid.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 05, 2021 06:49PM
S. Pupp
And backwards into the 1800's we go!

Except in the 1800s,' many frontier cities did not allow for open carry. Even then, guns were tools, not weapons.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 05, 2021 07:23PM
Z
So much stupid.

We underestimate the stupid, and we do so at our own peril.

Stupid people, Carlo M. Cipolla explained, share several identifying traits: they are abundant, they are irrational, and they cause problems for others without apparent benefit to themselves, thereby lowering society’s total well-being. There are no defenses against stupidity, argued the Italian-born professor, who died in 2000. The only way a society can avoid being crushed by the burden of its idiots is if the non-stupid work even harder to offset the losses of their stupid brethren.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 162
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020