advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson announces he has VETOED anti-trans bill HB 1570.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 05, 2021 02:32PM
Here's some video of his announcement: [twitter.com]

essentially saying that this is a shot in the cultural war that is unnecessary and indefensible. Reporters point out that there are plenty of votes for a veto override, but that doesn't mean they will do so.

here is a recent story about another veto that had plenty of votes for an override, but the house declined to put it up for a vote... [www.arkansasonline.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson announces he has VETOED anti-trans bill HB 1570.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 05, 2021 02:57PM
They will override him. What is there to boycott in Arkansas?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson announces he has VETOED anti-trans bill HB 1570.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 05, 2021 03:13PM
Walmart stores nationwide would be a good start.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 05, 2021 03:27PM
Carnos Jax

Already doing so.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: April 05, 2021 03:58PM
Carnos Jax

Great target, but that's not how statewide boycotts usually work.....

rj
AKA
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 05, 2021 04:04PM
As a Republican, Asa could be much worse. He has always helped the legislature get the Medicare Extension through. Sarah Huckabee will be a different story.
Date: April 05, 2021 04:04PM
rjmacs
Carnos Jax

They have tremendous political influence here in Arkansas I would guess. If they felt a pinch from a nationwide boycott, you don’t think things could be changed politically here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 04:05PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: April 05, 2021 04:06PM
Dennis S
As a Republican, Asa could be much worse. He has always helped the legislature get the Medicare Extension through. Sarah Huckabee will be a different story.

Sure enough, we could’ve had a lot worse then Hutchinson. Huckabee will be an ass.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 05, 2021 04:43PM
I'd be surprised if walmart felt a boycott considering their customers, but I guess it might provide an excuse for them to do something they otherwise wanted to.

Date: April 05, 2021 05:01PM
Carnos Jax
rjmacs
Carnos Jax

They have tremendous political influence here in Arkansas I would guess. If they felt a pinch from a nationwide boycott, you don’t think things could be changed politically here?

Candidly, I don't think that a nationwide boycott based on a law in Arkansas is likely to succeed.

rj
AKA
Date: April 05, 2021 05:12PM
Yeah, I'm skeptical of that too.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 05, 2021 05:21PM
Cancel the Razorbacks TV schedule, that'll rile em up.

edit: to capitalize

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 05:22PM by RgrF.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 05, 2021 05:36PM
Of course Walmart won't feel the boycott - it's been going on for decades - why would they feel it now?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 05, 2021 09:00PM
I actually read the bill - HB 1570. It makes a LOT of medical claims about potential harm of gender therapies for minors. I have no way of being able to analyze their claims for veracity but I did see that Arkansas pediatricians strongly object to the bill:

[www.nwahomepage.com]

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — Pediatricians around Arkansas led a rally against House Bill 1570 at the capitol Saturday afternoon.

The bill would prohibit anyone under the age of 18 from getting treatment involving gender reassignment surgery or medication.

It passed this week — and would have to be signed by Governor Hutchinson Monday at the latest.

The Arkansas chapter of the Academy of Pediatrics lead the rally.

They say their hope is to convince Hutchinson to veto the bill — saying it begins a slippery slope of legislating what happens in a pediatric exam room.

“If this bill were to pass, we know that it’s going to raise suicide rates among trans kids — we’ve heard these doctors speak today and say how important gender affirming care is for trans kids,” said Willow Beshears, founder of the Young Trans Women Project.

Supporters of the bill say it does not prevent anyone from getting health care, but merely saves kids from experimenting with hormone therapies that make permanent changes to the body — noting it could cause other health issues later in life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 09:40PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 05, 2021 10:21PM
Just outlaw the treatments and the problem goes away! Works for abortion, too! So simple!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2021 10:21PM by Acer.
Date: April 06, 2021 11:27AM
The authors of this bill don't believe in trans people, period.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 06, 2021 11:52AM
rjmacs
The authors of this bill don't believe in trans people, period.

I think the main person behind it is a preacher.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020