advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine continues to show robust antibody levels at 6 months
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 06, 2021 01:20PM
Moderna’s mRNA Covid-19 vaccine shows robust antibody levels at six months, according to a research letter published Tuesday in The New England Journal of Medicine.

Protection from the vaccine is expected to last longer than six months, but we’ll only know how long it works when there is more data from late-stage clinical trials. The company is continuing to study this.

With this research, using three distinct tests that look for antibodies, the scientists found that protective antibody activity remained high in all age groups of the 33 adults involved in this early-stage study.

Younger adults seemed to have higher antibody levels compared to the older groups. Antibody levels are expected to decline over time, but it’s unclear what level of protection this will provide in the real-world. To understand that, there will need to be further studies.

Scientists will continue to monitor these adults to see how long the protection lasts. They will also determine if a booster dose will extend the duration against emerging viral variants.

Last week, a separate study showed that the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine is 91.3% effective six months after the second dose, and 100% effective against severe disease. Moderna’s previous interim results showed it was 94.1% effective, though with less follow-up time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine continues to show robust antibody levels at 6 months
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 06, 2021 01:53PM
Moderna is what's available here.

In scheduling my 2nd jab, I stumbled upon a notice on the TN state site that they've now opened it up to everyone 16+.

I was annoyed that the site never mentions the 2nd shot, as in how to schedule it. Neither does the vaccination card I got after the first shot. The email I got back then contained a link that went right to it however.

We have two places in our county for this, the health department and Walmart. I got my 18yr old scheduled for tomorrow at Walmart.
Re: Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine continues to show robust antibody levels at 6 months
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 06, 2021 02:00PM
Continued booster shots for multiple variants should be a nice long term revenue stream for pharma.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 06, 2021 02:22PM
deckeda
Moderna is what's available here.

In scheduling my 2nd jab, I stumbled upon a notice on the TN state site that they've now opened it up to everyone 16+.

I was annoyed that the site never mentions the 2nd shot, as in how to schedule it. Neither does the vaccination card I got after the first shot. The email I got back then contained a link that went right to it however.

We have two places in our county for this, the health department and Walmart. I got my 18yr old scheduled for tomorrow at Walmart.

For us, the pharmacy automatically scheduled everyone for exactly same day of the week, same time, just three weeks later. You can change it of you want, but it was not clear if you get priority or if you have to go back to cancel/refresh mode at the website.
Posted by: numbered
Date: April 06, 2021 02:36PM
The 2nd jab scheduling is up to the locals. In our case, we signed up during the 15 minute waiting period. They started with exactly 3 or 4 weeks, but were trying to be flexible.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 06, 2021 05:57PM
deckeda

When I got my shot yesterday, the first thing they did after checking me in was schedule my second shot. My vax card has a sticker on the back with the scheduled date/time.

It is what it is.
Date: April 06, 2021 05:59PM
mrbigstuff
Continued booster shots for multiple variants should be a nice long term revenue stream for pharma.

We'll eventually figure out how much time to allow between boosters.

Remember, we're literally making this up as we go along - we are all lab rats in that sense. Trials have proved that the vaccines work, but not enough time has elapsed since the vaccines were developed to know how long they will remain effective.

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2021 06:13PM
....the same goes for multiple......orgasms......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 06, 2021 06:27PM
N-OS X-tasy!
mrbigstuff

We'll eventually figure out how much time to allow between boosters.

Remember, we're literally making this up as we go along - we are all lab rats in that sense. Trials have proved that the vaccines work, but not enough time has elapsed since the vaccines were developed to know how long they will remain effective.

...nor how effective they'll be with variants like the latest from India.

Researchers at Stanford University identified a new COVID-19 variant that is being called the "double mutant" because it contains two mutations flagged by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as of concern.
Posted by: bfd
Date: April 06, 2021 08:45PM
What "they" really need to be seriously thinking about - moving forward – is the next viral threat. It's not if, but when … so having structures in place – and not politicizing them – may be practically impossible, but not totally impossible. Just takes some leadership.
Date: April 06, 2021 09:03PM
bfd
What "they" really need to be seriously thinking about - moving forward – is the next viral threat. It's not if, but when … so having structures in place – and not politicizing them – may be practically impossible, but not totally impossible. Just takes some leadership.

I’m sure that is happening, now that an adult is back in charge.

It is what it is.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 06, 2021 11:20PM
Cave -- it's not for sure that the level of antibodies correlates with actual protection. "Neutralizing" antibodies aren't necessarily what they've been measuring ... the term they're using is "protective", but "neutralizing" and "protective" aren't necessarily the same thing.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 07, 2021 09:07AM
The same new tech used for COVID has just been shown to be effective at the first level of protection for HIV in 97% of the test subjects. This could be the first real option tor an HIV vaccine.

I expect one outcome to be far more vaccines in our future. And if the pharma companies make some money - reasonable $$, not absurd $$ - and we prevent another massive pandemic, they will have earned it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020