Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 07, 2021 08:22PM
It’s basically his Senate now. Enjoy.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Manchin: won’t weaken filibuster, won’t agree to budget reconciliation
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 07, 2021 08:53PM
He always changes his mind. He's proffered the move to return to standing fb.
Date: April 07, 2021 09:03PM
I'm over it. Whatever Democrats can or can't accomplish this year won't matter if we lose the midterms. If they can't somehow counter gerrymandering it won't matter.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 07, 2021 10:01PM
deckeda
I'm over it. Whatever Democrats can or can't accomplish this year won't matter if we lose the midterms. If they can't somehow counter gerrymandering it won't matter.

If the tail keeps wagging the dog, we'll lose the midterms. Republicans flipped back 13 of the 41 seats we triumphantly won in 2018 (though we lost 3 Senators thanks to Bannon, Bossie, Russians and others that I won't mention.

We'll register as many as we can this summer but we need swing voters badly.

righteousness + purity = we lose. That's the formula for losing.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 08, 2021 12:50AM
Manchin is borderline useless, DINO more than any other current Senator. The locals need to find an attractive alternative and primary his ass. He sold out his state on water quality. He was heavily involved in crippling tank and water inspection.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 08, 2021 08:02AM
vision63
deckeda

If the tail keeps wagging the dog, we'll lose the midterms. Republicans flipped back 13 of the 41 seats we triumphantly won in 2018 (though we lost 3 Senators thanks to Bannon, Bossie, Russians and others that I won't mention.

Apparently the formula for winning is to pass legislation only through reconciliation bills that Manchin approves.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 08, 2021 09:41AM
“Senate Democrats must avoid the temptation to abandon our Republican colleagues on important national issues,” Mr. Manchin wrote. “Republicans, however, have a responsibility to stop saying no, and participate in finding real compromise with Democrats.”

Date: April 08, 2021 05:57PM
You guys know I don’t demand purity, but it’s Manchin who is effectively crafting all of his moves to advertise the acceptance of any 10 Republican senators.

I suppose the game is to coast along because that’s the hand that’s been dealt unless and until more votes can be shored up to effect real change that stops being portrayed as egregious by the opposition. It’s going to be a long year + of more of the same.
Date: April 08, 2021 05:59PM
Ted King
“Senate Democrats must avoid the temptation to abandon our Republican colleagues on important national issues,” Mr. Manchin wrote. “Republicans, however, have a responsibility to stop saying no, and participate in finding real compromise with Democrats.”

If every criticism Manchin has for Democrats was matched with, “I’m also still waiting for Republicans to offer viable a solution” then all of this might actually proceed with how he imagines it in his idealistic head.

Yeah. He sure does spend time tilting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2021 06:00PM by deckeda.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 08, 2021 07:55PM
deckeda
Ted King

If every criticism Manchin has for Democrats was matched with, “I’m also still waiting for Republicans to offer viable a solution” then all of this might actually proceed with how he imagines it in his idealistic head.

While Manchin is pursuing his noble vision of Senate bipartisanship by stopping the Democrats from getting as much done as they could if he would give up on it, McConnell is happy as a lark to keep saying "no" because as long as McConnell says "no" and Manchin keeps insisting on not proceeding with Democratic priorities until the Republicans stop saying "no", then, of course, McConnell is going to keep saying "no".
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 08, 2021 08:23PM
Ted King
deckeda
Ted King

While Manchin is pursuing his noble vision of Senate bipartisanship by stopping the Democrats from getting as much done as they could if he would give up on it, McConnell is happy as a lark to keep saying "no" because as long as McConnell says "no" and Manchin keeps insisting on not proceeding with Democratic priorities until the Republicans stop saying "no", then, of course, McConnell is going to keep saying "no".

Exactly. McConnell and Republicans have already flat-out said they will not vote for an infrastructure bill no matter what's in it.

Posted by: sekker
Date: April 09, 2021 11:21AM
Manchin wants to get the Senate to be a functional governing body. Bless him.

But he needs to understand that we DO need to get stuff done too.
Date: April 09, 2021 09:05PM
sekker
Manchin wants to get the Senate to be a functional governing body. Bless him.

But he needs to understand that we DO need to get stuff done too.

Most of the time he votes with Democrats. He's doing you a favor by not being the Republican that would guarantee replace him.
Date: April 09, 2021 09:09PM
rjmacs
vision63
deckeda

Apparently the formula for winning is to pass legislation only through reconciliation bills that Manchin approves.

The abuse of that formula put us in the position where Manchin is such a lynchpin in the first place. I can literally create an exhaustive timeline how.

What he's doing is you a favor. He mostly votes with Democrats. Y'all bitch about a handful of bills but how would his guaranteed Republican replacement vote?
Date: April 09, 2021 09:11PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Manchin is borderline useless, DINO more than any other current Senator. The locals need to find an attractive alternative and primary his ass. He sold out his state on water quality. He was heavily involved in crippling tank and water inspection.

He votes with Democrats most of the time. His guaranteed Republican replacement wouldn't do that.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 10, 2021 02:00PM
vision63
His guaranteed Republican replacement wouldn't do that.

That is a weak excuse.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 10, 2021 02:34PM
Well, Chuckie Schumes can only do what he can do. Wrangling Joe Manchin is apparently a bridge too far.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020