advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Mitch McConnell retracts his demand that corporations 'stay out of politics'
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 07, 2021 08:38PM
The 'backwards turtle' is more than a yoga position. Big Mouth Mitch steps in it...retreats.

Mitch McConnell retracts his demand that corporations 'stay out of politics'
[www.businessinsider.com]

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday retracted his demand that corporations "stay out of politics," with the exception of political donations, as major companies protest Georgia's recently-passed voting rights restrictions.

"I didn't say that very artfully yesterday," the Kentucky Republican told reporters of his comments earlier this week. "They're certainly entitled to be involved in politics."

"My complaint about the CEOs is they ought to read the damn bill," he added.

Major League Baseball announced last Friday that it would pull its All-Star game from Atlanta in response to the Georgia law, which civil rights activists have broadly condemned as a racist voter suppression effort. Georgia-based companies, including Coca-Cola, Delta, and Home Depot, followed, arguing that the voting law was based on the GOP's lies about voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.
-
But after critics pointed out that McConnell is simultaneously staunchly supportive of corporate political speech in the form of donations to politicians, the lawmaker clarified that there were exceptions to his new mandate.

"I'm not talking about political contributions," he told reporters on Tuesday. "I'm talking about taking a position on a highly incendiary issue like this and punishing a community or a state because you don't like a particular law they passed. I just think it's stupid."

turtles protect their eggs in feathered nests
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mitch McConnell retracts his demand that corporations 'stay out of politics'
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 07, 2021 08:52PM
"My complaint about the CEOs is they ought to read the damn bill," he added.

Good luck with that. Execs at every level work from summaries presented to them. It’s how delegation of responsibility works, right?

And in this case, execs didn’t require a heck of a lot to demonstrate to them from credible sources that GA’s law is indeed highly regressive.
Re: Mitch McConnell retracts his demand that corporations 'stay out of politics'
Posted by: timg
Date: April 08, 2021 12:31AM
Maybe Mitch should read the bill ...

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 08, 2021 05:12AM
timg
Maybe Mitch should read the bill ...

Whoa, let’s not suggest something so radical.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 08, 2021 07:31AM
He did read it, which is why he’s a fan.

Meanwhile in his home state, the Republican legislature crafted a bill that expands voting rights. It was naturally just signed into law by the Dem. Governor.

Great? Better, but not great. KY was so restrictive to begin with it’s still more restrictive overall than GA. You know things are bad when even Republicans welcome expansion.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020