advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The essence of the "I refuse to get a vaccine" argument from Republicans
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 25, 2021 09:42AM
"The science tells us the vaccines are 95% effective, so if you have a vaccine quite honestly, what do you care if your neighbor has one or not?" Johnson said. "What is it to you? You've got a vaccine and science is telling you it's very, very effective. So why is this big push to make sure everybody gets a vaccine? And it's to the point where you're going to shame people, you're going to force them to carry a card to prove that they've been vaccinated so they can still stay in society. I'm getting highly suspicious of what's happening here."

[madison.com]

facepalm

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The essence of the "I refuse to get a vaccine" argument from Republicans
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 25, 2021 10:06AM
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 25, 2021 10:16AM
At some point the vaccinations will lose their 'experimental' tag. At that point, many employers will be able to legally REQUIRE it. Medical. Military. etc...

Get the jab or lose your job.

Bye, Felicia !
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 25, 2021 10:21AM
The common denominator is selfishness, behaviors done without regard to society. It’s foundational to the Republican Party.
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 25, 2021 10:24AM
Would Jesus get the vaccine?
Date: April 25, 2021 02:22PM
Acer

I think he would, considering that he was all about helping the poor and universal brotherhood, which means treating others as you wish to be treated. Ironically, pretty much the antithesis of the Republican party in its current form.

Posted by: GGD
Date: April 25, 2021 02:44PM
I've said this before: "Make it a requirement for in-person voting"
Date: April 25, 2021 03:32PM
GGD

Will never happen. If Repubs have a problem with people needing to have an immunization card, they'd never go for it being a requirement for anything-- and particularly considering they're already pushing through laws that favor themselves, such as requiring ID for both in-person and mail-in voting ... which is obviously "forc[ing] them to carry a card" (cough).

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 25, 2021 03:34PM
GGD

It should have been a requirement for covid relief checks

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 25, 2021 03:35PM
Isn't that in the spirit of the line of reasoning that anti-vacciners could use against any social pressure to get vaccinated for anything? And one of the primary counterarguments for that line of reasoning is that there are those who live in our communities that are vulnerable to the viruses that the vaccines protect against but they can't get vaccinated because of a medical condition. Evidently, Johnson could care less about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2021 03:37PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 25, 2021 04:11PM
get polio
Date: April 25, 2021 07:12PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens when full FDA approvals are granted. You can't go to school without what we consider basic vaccines today but ... Covid hurts adults too, and it's been politicized yada yada.

This is related to America never having had a true lockdown, or they could tie lockdowns to it. Regardless, the economy and social lives remain in the tank because of the virus, and so at some point we still need to acknowledge this with something stronger than mild recommendations. People need incentives, either hard or soft ones. Mandates only work when there's a guaranteed outcome, and there isn't one here.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 26, 2021 02:15AM
You can't go to school without what we consider basic vaccines today but ...

Really? I thought people get around this requirement by claiming religious exemption or something like that. I'm pretty sure it is not enforceable, at least if you have a good lawyer.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 26, 2021 04:49AM
Acer

More importantly, would Donald get the vaccine. (Of course he did.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 26, 2021 07:21AM
Acer

He would but he'd wait until all the world's poor countries had enough supply.
Date: April 26, 2021 08:01AM
space-time
You can't go to school without what we consider basic vaccines today but ...

Really? I thought people get around this requirement by claiming religious exemption or something like that. I'm pretty sure it is not enforceable, at least if you have a good lawyer.

Dunno, maybe it is. It sure isn’t a contentious issue that got politicized tho. The main difference is that people are used to it. Covid vaccines were allowed to be framed very differently and treated as such, instead of being understood there’s the common good behind it.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 26, 2021 08:28AM
Texas, yes, Texas!

"By law in Texas (Texas Education Code, § 51.9192, Subchapter Z), all students under the age of 22 attending classes at Texas institutions of higher education must present proof of immunization for bacterial meningitis or present the appropriate exemption."

(d) A student to whom this section applies or a parent or guardian of the student is not required to comply with Subsection (c) if the student or a parent or guardian of the student submits to the institution:
(1) an affidavit or a certificate signed by a physician who is duly registered and licensed to practice medicine in the United States in which it is stated that, in the physician's opinion, the vaccination required would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student; or
(2) an affidavit signed by the student stating that the student declines the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief, or confirmation that the student has completed the Internet-based process described by Subsection (d-3) for declining the vaccination on that basis, if applicable to the student.
(d-1) The exemption provided by Subsection (d)(2) does not apply during a disaster or public health emergency, terrorist attack, hostile military or paramilitary action, or extraordinary law enforcement emergency declared by an appropriate official or other authority and in effect for the location of the institution the student attends.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2021 09:00AM
Acer

Jesus - who's that?
Date: April 26, 2021 09:26AM
Speaking of irresponsible people:

My wife and I went to an open house that turned out to be way above our budget. The cars outside cost more than 50% of what we paid for our house 8 years ago. We are both fully vaccinated, but were the only ones wearing masks. The real estate agent wore a mask outside, but took it off when going inside (WTF?)

This is the deep South and these people were obviously all very wealthy. The chances are that they were all Republicans. The chances are that none of them had been vaccinated.

I'm sick of this.
I'm sick of people at Costco taking off their masks as soon as they are in the store, then coughing up a lung - obviously ill.
I'm sick of people in Walmart wearing masks on their chins, or going maskless.
I'm sick of maskless people in Walmart who are in their pajamas, red and sweating, coughing like mad.

I can't help but think that, since we fail to hold people accountable, we're doomed.
Date: April 26, 2021 09:34AM
This is the deep South and these people were obviously all very wealthy. The chances are that they were all Republicans. The chances are that none of them had been vaccinated.

I'm sick of this.
I'm sick of people at Costco taking off their masks as soon as they are in the store, then coughing up a lung - obviously ill.
I'm sick of maskless people in Walmart who are in their pajamas, red and sweating, coughing like mad.

I can't help but think that, since we fail to hold people accountable, we're doomed.

Life's too short! Get out of that environment - live somewhere that makes you comfortable.
Date: April 26, 2021 09:36AM
S. Pupp

Remember the old days, when Democrats were selfish snobs, all elitists? Good times.

The challenge Republicans have is that the culture war is mostly all they have to offer. They’ll continue to rack up wins but it won’t be based on sustainable issues. They’re dead, long term unless about 10 in the House and 1 maybe 2 in the Senate can forge a new direction. I’m not placing any bets on that.
Date: April 26, 2021 10:08AM
S. Pupp

My wife and I went to an open house that turned out to be way above our budget. The cars outside cost more than 50% of what we paid for our house 8 years ago. We are both fully vaccinated, but were the only ones wearing masks. The real estate agent wore a mask outside, but took it off when going inside (WTF?)

I'm sick of this.

Picked up some wine at a nice shop Saturday afternoon in Spartanburg then got a take out supper. Both places , no masks except me. People drinking and eating in close proximity like nobody has heard of COVID 19.

I'm getting groceries by curbside pick up only now

Insane.
Date: April 26, 2021 10:08AM
RgrF
Life's too short! Get out of that environment - live somewhere that makes you comfortable.

Good advice, and I've already decided that, if my wife does not survive her cancer, I'll be moving.

My wife LOVES it here, though, and it looks like she's going to do fine and live a long life, so I'm stuck here. Still, I'd rather have her and be stuck here, than not have her and be someplace reasonable.
Date: April 26, 2021 10:20AM
S. Pupp
RgrF

Good advice, and I've already decided that, if my wife does not survive her cancer, I'll be moving.

My wife LOVES it here, though, and it looks like she's going to do fine and live a long life, so I'm stuck here. Still, I'd rather have her and be stuck here, than not have her and be someplace reasonable.

Best wishes for healing for your wife.

I hope you don't leave. I get that it's tough, I am in the same boat myself. There are like-minded souls around but it is harder to connect in the pandemic of course.

My connection here is family not politics. I don't have rose colored glasses about liberal places after living in one for 22 years.
Date: April 26, 2021 10:55AM
S. Pupp
RgrF

I understand. Mine went back through ER last night - too many miles on the heart, kidneys and lungs. Waiting tests.
Posted by: Wags
Date: April 26, 2021 11:21AM
Here in Portland I often see people driving by alone in their car, wearing a mask. Probably on the way to meet up with friends and light a Starbucks on fire.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: April 26, 2021 03:30PM
RgrF
Acer

Jesus - who's that?

I think he cuts the grass.

Posted by: sekker
Date: April 26, 2021 03:46PM
Sorry for those living in an Alternate Reality.

If you have an option, go to a different business. I stopped going to Home Depot due to their failed response in the pandemic (go to Menards now, went twice this weekend and neither time had a single person not wearing a mask properly), and Walmart years ago due to their failure in providing health care to their employees.

I'd rather go to Bezosville (with the compromises inherent in that choice) than a MAGA mecca destination.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: April 26, 2021 05:52PM
Wags
Here in Portland I often see people driving by alone in their car, wearing a mask. Probably on the way to meet up with friends and light a Starbucks on fire.

I still haven't figured out the wearing masks while driving alone thing yet. Best thing I can think of is that those people truly are not bothered and do not even notice that they have them on. Kind of like when you wear sunglasses for hours and then go inside and 30 minutes later you realize it is really dark for some reason.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: April 26, 2021 06:17PM
RgrF
S. Pupp
RgrF

I understand. Mine went back through ER last night - too many miles on the heart, kidneys and lungs. Waiting tests.

I'm so, so sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 26, 2021 11:19PM
RgrF
Acer

Jesus - who's that?

He's the guy who painted my house. I'm pretty sure he got the vaccine.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 27, 2021 02:56PM
C(-)ris
Wags

I still haven't figured out the wearing masks while driving alone thing yet. Best thing I can think of is that those people truly are not bothered and do not even notice that they have them on. Kind of like when you wear sunglasses for hours and then go inside and 30 minutes later you realize it is really dark for some reason.

You'll sometimes spot me wearing a mask while driving alone. When I'm out on my weekly shopping / errands trip, I put my mask on when I get to my first stop and leave it on when driving between stops, and take it off before driving home from my last stop.

Part of this is because I wear an N95 with a KN95 over it, and dealing with all of the straps along with glasses and long hair is a pain.

I get my second dose tomorrow, not taking chances leading up to that.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 27, 2021 05:25PM
I think people got in the habit of wearing a mask alone in the car when we thought that touching things could give us covid. I'm sure it felt easier to put it on and keep it on when running errands than to have to worry about contaminating the mask every time you put it back on after each stop.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 27, 2021 06:24PM
$tevie
I think people got in the habit of wearing a mask alone in the car when we thought that touching things could give us covid. I'm sure it felt easier to put it on and keep it on when running errands than to have to worry about contaminating the mask every time you put it back on after each stop.

Yeah, remember when we used to hear it said quite a lot, "Don't touch your face." Wearing a mask while driving could help remind you not to do that.

I'm sure some of the people wearing masks are doing so because they are more susceptible to bad consequences if they get covid. I don't blame them for not taking their mask off at all when they are outside their homes. It's not like I can tell who those people are out of all the people I see wearing masks, so I just sort of figure I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt for being reasonable about the risks if they are wearing a mask even outside on a breezy day where everyone is moving around and well separated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 06:25PM by Ted King.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 28, 2021 04:19AM
I still haven't figured out the wearing masks while driving alone thing yet. Best thing I can think of is that those people truly are not bothered and do not even notice that they have them on.

For me, it's convenience.

It takes me a minute to get them both lined up and properly pinched, so I just leave it on until I'm back home, unless it's a longer/longish drive.

Most of my outings are hops, not journeys.

My car has a HEPA filter and all the windows are still tight, so risk is quite low.

And I'm quite comfortable wearing one for quite a bit.

Given all the people who, in crowded spaces, wear their masks on their chins or at least under their nose, or a bandana, or no mask at all, I really wonder why there's even an iota of concern about someone alone in a car with their COVID kit.

It's not a balaclava, ffs.

Get over yourselves.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 28, 2021 05:19PM
RgrF
Acer

Jesus - who's that?

He's the guy who picks your lettuce.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Bo , JoeH
Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020