advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Anchorage to Juneau, 14 hours by car. Canada and a ferry are involved. Most people fly instead.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 26, 2021 12:29PM
Here's an exception: AK State Sen. Lora Reinbold

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Feel free to read about the injustice of it all, or not. She doesn't really seem worth the effort.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anchorage to Juneau, 14 hours by car. Canada and a ferry are involved. Most people fly instead.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 26, 2021 12:42PM
It's behind a paywall - why do that?

PS: How would that be different than if I were to link to a subscriber only sub-stack?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 12:47PM by RgrF.
Re: Anchorage to Juneau, 14 hours by car. Canada and a ferry are involved. Most people fly instead.
Posted by: davester
Date: April 26, 2021 01:03PM
Her district, Eagle River, has a population of about 20,000. So, probably only around 10,000 voters. So, she represents about 0.006% of the US. That's smaller than a city council district in my city (Berkeley). Think of her as that batty city councilmember who lives down the street, not a person worthy of a seat in congress.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: April 26, 2021 01:05PM
RgrF

PS: How would that be different than if I were to link to a subscriber only sub-stack?

I'm not a subscriber and had no trouble reading the article. Even so, you could probably just google her name and find an article on this.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 26, 2021 01:05PM
You could use the workaround that’s been posted here numerous times, or you could simply do a search but instead you whine...

why do that?
Date: April 26, 2021 01:06PM
RgrF

Are you asking why paywalls exist, or why I shared it? If it's the latter, it's because that's the resource I had. Let me know if I can Google "Sen. Lora Reinbold" for you.
Posted by: Z
Date: April 26, 2021 02:28PM
They... grow them special in Eagle River. Eagle River is one of the communities that make up the Municipality of Anchorage (bigger than Rhode Island!), which covers a bit over 1700 sq. mi. of land (what can we say, the mountains need their space).

One of the two Eagle River-Chugiak members of Anchorage Assembly members that Mrs. Z serves with is equally batshit - e.g.:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

You'll be shocked (SHOCKED!) to learn that Reinbold and Allard are purportedly friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 02:29PM by Z.
Date: April 26, 2021 02:48PM
deckeda
RgrF

Are you asking why paywalls exist, or why I shared it? If it's the latter, it's because that's the resource I had. Let me know if I can Google "Sen. Lora Reinbold" for you.

So it then becomes my job to chase down a story you posted about? Thanks, no thanks.
Date: April 26, 2021 02:53PM
I missed that story. And Allard was on the Human Rights Commission?!
Date: April 26, 2021 02:54PM
RgrF
deckeda
RgrF

So it then becomes my job to chase down a story you posted about? Thanks, no thanks.

Actually, nothing at all is required of you.
Date: April 26, 2021 03:34PM
OK! I'll take that job and won't link to unopenable (coined word) sub-stacks.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 26, 2021 03:46PM
Posted by: pdq
Date: April 26, 2021 04:12PM
Call a waaaambulance.
Date: April 26, 2021 04:19PM
davester
Her district, Eagle River, has a population of about 20,000. So, probably only around 10,000 voters. So, she represents about 0.006% of the US. That's smaller than a city council district in my city (Berkeley). Think of her as that batty city councilmember who lives down the street, not a person worthy of a seat in congress.

From Laura's last rodeo in 2018:

SENATE DISTRICT G
Total
Number of Precincts 13
Precincts Reporting 13 100.0 %
Times Counted 13393/29153 45.9 %
Total Votes 13234
Schiess, Oliver DEM 4911 37.11%
Reinbold, Lora H. REP 8257 62.39%
Write-in Votes 66 0.50%
Date: April 26, 2021 05:07PM
That is so ridiculous. My congressperson (Barbara Lee) won her election with 260,580 votes vs 34,257 for her opponents, so she's representing almost ten times as many people as Reinbold is. I don't understand this. Isn't the House supposed to have representation proportional to population (unlike the highly undemocratic Senate). I don't understand why this discrepancy exists. Is it because each state gets a minimum number of congresspersons no matter what their population?

Posted by: Ted King
Date: April 26, 2021 05:09PM
davester
That is so ridiculous. My congressperson (Barbara Lee) won her election with 260,580 votes vs 34,257 for her opponents, so she's representing almost ten times as many people as Reinbold is. I don't understand this. Isn't the House supposed to have representation proportional to population (unlike the highly undemocratic Senate). I don't understand why this discrepancy exists. Is it because each state gets a minimum number of congresspersons no matter what their population?

I think this is a state Representative, not federal.

e pluribus unum
Date: April 26, 2021 05:11PM
State senate, not federal. Sorry for the confusion.

Otherwise our state population is approx. 733k, per census data released today.

We've only got one state representative at the federal level Don 'Longest Currently Serving Member of the House' Young, re-elected biennially since 1973.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 26, 2021 05:13PM
Ted King

I think this is a state Representative, not federal.

yes
Date: April 26, 2021 05:22PM
Z
State senate, not federal. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. I was the one that was confused.

However, it is notable that my state assembly member won her election by 118,407 to 18,053, still around ten times as many voters as Reinbold. The populated part of Alaska is about as big as many counties in California.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2021 05:28PM by davester.
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 26, 2021 07:50PM
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 27, 2021 01:48AM
seems like they're speeding. Should take about 20 hours

[www.google.com]
Date: April 27, 2021 12:18PM
If you don't count boat-time, maybe it works?

Having done it, it's a pretty drive, but a long one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020