advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Sen. Manchin drives a stake thru D.C statehood idea
Posted by: deckeda
Date: April 30, 2021 02:36PM
via some radio interview

He provided the usual Republican talking points about “an Amendment” being necessary.

Can someone inform Hawaii of this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sen. Manchin drives a stake thru D.C statehood idea
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 30, 2021 03:07PM
I'm one of the rare (me, angling to be something special) humans born when there were 49 states.
Posted by: hal
Date: April 30, 2021 03:10PM
vision63
I'm one of the rare (me, angling to be something special) humans born when there were 49 states.

I just realized that my sister is one of those folks too...
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: April 30, 2021 03:11PM
vision63

Congrats, dude! That’s awesome!

Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 30, 2021 03:16PM
vision63

I lived for about a year in that 49th state before it was a state.
Date: April 30, 2021 03:18PM
S. Pupp
vision63

cry smiley I always knew there had to be "something." cry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 03:20PM by vision63.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 30, 2021 03:20PM
vision63
ditto ! It confuses people when I tell them that.
Date: April 30, 2021 03:20PM
hal
vision63

I just realized that my sister is one of those folks too...

We'll need to buy 49 state flags (Joe willing).
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 30, 2021 03:56PM
They have to figure out a way to get this done
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 30, 2021 03:58PM
I guess I was one of the 48ers.
At least it was still an even number. smiling smiley
Don’t want to be an “odd”ball. smiley-laughing001

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 30, 2021 04:25PM
cbelt3
vision63
ditto ! It confuses people when I tell them that.

Ha! You guys are old! smiling smiley

(Missed it by that much)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: April 30, 2021 04:57PM
Considering that Manchin represents a state that was split off from another for nothing but political reasons, I think he should be apologizing.
Date: April 30, 2021 05:13PM
Steve G.
Considering that Manchin represents a state that was split off from another for nothing but political reasons, I think he should be apologizing.

He'd say "I apologize for not being the Republican that would surely replace me."
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 30, 2021 05:27PM
rgG
At least it was still an even number. smiling smiley
Don’t want to be an “odd”ball. smiley-laughing001

wow! it has never occurred to me to look this up. i too was born before Alaska and Hawaii became states.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RgrF
Date: April 30, 2021 05:47PM
My only contribution to this mess of a thread is that I although I was young I was sentient enough at that young age to notice the addition of Hawaii and Florida. Also of an age that can remember when GOD had nothing to do with our pledge of Allegiance!
Date: April 30, 2021 07:06PM
RgrF
My only contribution to this mess of a thread is that I although I was young I was sentient enough at that young age to notice the addition of Hawaii and Florida. Also of an age that can remember when GOD had nothing to do with our pledge of Allegiance!

haha! You're much older than I thought!
Date: April 30, 2021 07:16PM
S. Pupp
vision63

[m.youtube.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 30, 2021 07:30PM
RgrF

I'm guessing a lot, if not most, of the MRF'ers here are also 48'ers, and that a statistically significant number are Godly 48'ers; born in during that five year window during the start of Generation Jones. Us Early Boomers are Ungodly 48'ers, as is the entire Silent Generation. Ya gotta go back to the Greaties to hit 47, or fewer, when they added OK, NM, and AZ. In the history of the USA, 48'ers represent the largest age spread, by far, so far.... a record which would/will be broken if/when 51 hits the flag.
==
Date: April 30, 2021 07:31PM
hal
RgrF

haha! You're much older than I thought!

Even older. Remember that Maine and Minnesota were a part of Massachusetts.

BTW: What's up in Sacramento? Caught a bleep somewhere?
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 30, 2021 07:52PM
Y'all sound old. Some of us are younger than the Civil Rights Act.
Date: April 30, 2021 07:56PM
Buzz
RgrF
My only contribution to this mess of a thread is that I although I was young I was sentient enough at that young age to notice the addition of Hawaii and Florida Arizona. Also of an age that can remember when GOD had nothing to do with our pledge of Allegiance!

I'm guessing a lot, if not most, of the MRF'ers here are also 48'ers, and that a statistically significant number are Godly 48'ers; born in during that five year window during the start of Generation Jones. Us Early Boomers are Ungodly 48'ers, as is the entire Silent Generation. Ya gotta go back to the Greaties to hit 47, or fewer, when they added OK, NM, and AZ. In the history of the USA, 48'ers represent the largest age spread, by far, so far.... a record which would/will be broken if/when 51 hits the flag.
==

If I'd been a grunt and seen what they'd seen, I'm not sure I'd want to come home and grow another generation. What they did was come home and wall it all off in hope we'd never experience what they did.
Date: April 30, 2021 08:20PM
Acer
Y'all sound old. Some of us are younger than the Civil Rights Act.

Some of us (those few left) did indeed precede that. I personally can recall the search and circus that surrounded the disappearance of those righteous kids from the north - Goodman, Chaney and Schwerner. Seems today the NEW SOUTH is more interested becoming the OLD SOUTH.
Date: April 30, 2021 08:41PM
RgrF
Buzz
RgrF
My only contribution to this mess of a thread is that I although I was young I was sentient enough at that young age to notice the addition of Hawaii and Florida Arizona. Also of an age that can remember when GOD had nothing to do with our pledge of Allegiance!

==

If I'd been a grunt and seen what they'd seen, I'm not sure I'd want to come home and grow another generation. What they did was come home and wall it all off in hope we'd never experience what they did.

Phyliss ‘Pippa’ Latour Doyle MBE, the last surviving female Special Operations Executive. At age 23, Phyllis parachuted into occupied Normandy in May 1944 to gather intelligence on Nazi positions in preparation for D-Day. She celebrates her 100 year Birthday this week.

The kicker, which dovetails with what you said is she "did not discuss her wartime activities with her family until her children discovered them by reading about them on the internet in 2000."
Date: April 30, 2021 08:48PM
vision63

Phyliss ‘Pippa’ Latour Doyle MBE, the last surviving female Special Operations Executive. At age 23, Phyllis parachuted into occupied Normandy in May 1944 to gather intelligence on Nazi positions in preparation for D-Day. She celebrates her 100 year Birthday this week.

The kicker, which dovetails with what you said is she "did not discuss her wartime activities with her family until her children discovered them by reading about them on the internet in 2000."

Hard enough trying to imagine being a 23yo man and parachuting into Nazi territory all alone for a spy mission... being a 23 yo woman and doing this is WAY beyond my imagination. Look at all that hardware!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: April 30, 2021 09:12PM
Will a popular Dem please primary Manchin...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: April 30, 2021 09:24PM
Buzz
RgrF

==

Date: April 30, 2021 09:40PM
51 star flags - pretty clever

Date: April 30, 2021 10:13PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Guaranteed Democratic loss. It is a deeply red state that was once a labor stronghold. It's state full of Trumpers except for Manchin. He barely won his last election. We gotta get more Democrats in the Senate and protect the seats that exist like Warnock's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 10:18PM by vision63.
Date: April 30, 2021 10:32PM
@#$%&! Once the usual Dems abandon their roots, the GQP moves in and mines resentments. It's happened pretty much everywhere that Dems abandoned their core voters.

Did I mention that as a core Dems suck and cannot be trusted.

Joe Biden seems to have learned this lesson and is at least initially ready to stay the course. After all these years its hard to think an old warhorse will change course and stay steady but things like that do happen. LBJ stayed the course although it did cost him a Presidency to do so.
Posted by: bfd
Date: April 30, 2021 10:38PM
DC and PR

Get 'em in now!
Date: April 30, 2021 10:47PM
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

Guaranteed Democratic loss. It is a deeply red state that was once a labor stronghold. It's state full of Trumpers except for Manchin. He barely won his last election. We gotta get more Democrats in the Senate and protect the seats that exist like Warnock's.

“ Manchin, Sinema filibuster support scores political points back home, GOP poll shows “

[thehill.com]
Date: May 01, 2021 12:11AM
vision63
Filliam H. Muffman

Stop giving up before anything happens.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 01, 2021 07:51AM
hal

Actually that first example - alternating rows of even and odd numbers of stars - is the same method used in the 49-states flag from July 4, 1959 to July 3, 1960; and almost certainly the way 51 stars would be handled.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 01, 2021 08:22AM

Me, too.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 01, 2021 10:01AM
Some of the 49ers are also in the hole where men didn't need to register for the draft (like me).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 02, 2021 04:23PM
DeusxMac
hal

Actually that first example - alternating rows of even and odd numbers of stars - is the same method used in the 49-states flag from July 4, 1959 to July 3, 1960; and almost certainly the way 51 stars would be handled.

[en.wikipedia.org]

All seven rows of the 49-star flag had seven stars each (7x7=49) - they were just alternately shifted to the left or right.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2021 04:25PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: May 02, 2021 09:01PM
N-OS X-tasy!
DeusxMac
hal

[en.wikipedia.org]

All seven rows of the 49-star flag had seven stars each (7x7=49) - they were just alternately shifted to the left or right.

smiley-signs001 You are correct! brain fart
Posted by: mrbill62
Date: May 03, 2021 12:07AM
Article I, Section 8, Clause 17:

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards and other needful Buildings;

Madison's rationale from Federalist 43 - Yale Law Library

The indispensable necessity of complete authority at the seat of government, carries its own evidence with it. It is a power exercised by every legislature of the Union, I might say of the world, by virtue of its general supremacy. Without it, not only the public authority might be insulted and its proceedings interrupted with impunity; but a dependence of the members of the general government on the State comprehending the seat of the government, for protection in the exercise of their duty, might bring on the national councils an imputation of awe or influence, equally dishonorable to the government and dissatisfactory to the other members of the Confederacy. This consideration has the more weight, as the gradual accumulation of public improvements at the stationary residence of the government would be both too great a public pledge to be left in the hands of a single State, and would create so many obstacles to a removal of the government, as still further to abridge its necessary independence. The extent of this federal district is sufficiently circumscribed to satisfy every jealousy of an opposite nature. And as it is to be appropriated to this use with the consent of the State ceding it; as the State will no doubt provide in the compact for the rights and the consent of the citizens inhabiting it; as the inhabitants will find sufficient inducements of interest to become willing parties to the cession; as they will have had their voice in the election of the government which is to exercise authority over them; as a municipal legislature for local purposes, derived from their own suffrages, will of course be allowed them; and as the authority of the legislature of the State, and of the inhabitants of the ceded part of it, to concur in the cession, will be derived from the whole people of the State in their adoption of the Constitution, every imaginable objection seems to be obviated. The necessity of a like authority over forts, magazines, etc. , established by the general government, is not less evident. The public money expended on such places, and the public property deposited in them, requires that they should be exempt from the authority of the particular State. Nor would it be proper for the places on which the security of the entire Union may depend, to be in any degree dependent on a particular member of it. All objections and scruples are here also obviated, by requiring the concurrence of the States concerned, in every such establishment.

As IANAL, but it seems (to me at least) that a Constitutional Amendment would be needed to change Article I, Section 8, Clause 17.

I'm sure that there are plenty of lawyers who will argue for either side.

FWIW, I decided to show what is in the Constitution & the rationale.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 03, 2021 12:24PM
bfd
DC and PR

Get 'em in now!

And combine the Dakotas into one state.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 03, 2021 03:24PM
We gave Alexandria to Virginia. W VA carved itself off Virgina. "DC" can be a 9x9 paver on the Mall, and the remainder, which our Constitution tells us is NOT part of MD and under no obligation to join it, can seek its own destiny.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2021 03:25PM by Acer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020