advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Liberals and lockdown
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 04, 2021 12:00PM
This is a good read, and should probably be required reading for many on this side of the mantle.

[www.theatlantic.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Liberals and lockdown
Posted by: hal
Date: May 04, 2021 01:02PM
I was gonna post that... it's an important read...
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 04, 2021 01:21PM
Interesting. To me, it read like an opinion piece written by the governor of Florida.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 04, 2021 01:26PM
Anything in there you didn't already know or that doesn't seem like observations of the obvious?

She's being pretty cavalier about public health recommendations. Those have changed frequently and varied by region throughout the pandemic. Who can say who is correct??

People have different levels of risk tolerance. That is normal. There will always be tension there. Not black and white.

Frankly I'll take the very high vaccine rates of places like San Francisco over the low rates of red counties such as where I live now. They will get back to normal faster than the rest of us. And by normal I mean very few people getting Covid. If that's the liberal approach to the pandemic then yes please.

As for school opening we know that's a trainwreck and nobody has the answers. Many private schools in my area never stopped in person learning and were fine, in other parts of the state there were big outbreaks in schools and teachers who died.

All we can do is learn for the next pandemic and pray we have decent leadership when it comes.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 04, 2021 01:39PM
Lemon Drop
Anything in there you didn't already know or that doesn't seem like observations of the obvious?

She's being pretty cavalier about public health recommendations. Those have changed frequently and varied by region throughout the pandemic. Who can say who is correct??

People have different levels of risk tolerance. That is normal. There will always be tension there. Not black and white.

Frankly I'll take the very high vaccine rates of places like San Francisco over the low rates of red counties such as where I live now. They will get back to normal faster than the rest of us. And by normal I mean very few people getting Covid. If that's the liberal approach to the pandemic then yes please.

As for school opening we know that's a trainwreck and nobody has the answers. Many private schools in my area never stopped in person learning and were fine, in other parts of the state there were big outbreaks in schools and teachers who died.

All we can do is learn for the next pandemic and pray we have decent leadership when it comes.

Well put. I agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2021 01:39PM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: p8712
Date: May 04, 2021 01:41PM

All we can do is learn

No one will learn anything.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 04, 2021 02:50PM
It just points out that there are extremists on both sides.

I think this sums it up pretty well:
"For many people, this kind of behavior [over cautiousness] is a form of good citizenship. That’s a hard idea to give up."

Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 04, 2021 04:29PM
Some liberals are puristic zealous proselytizers - for those who didn't already know that.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 04, 2021 07:45PM
No one will learn anything.

And as we've seen, some will learn nothing.

Some liberals are puristic zealous proselytizers - for those who didn't already know that.

On balance, I'll take that over the puristic zealous deniers.

The latter is an evil, the former merely an annoyance.

Two for two, I'm good now.

We are a government of laws, not men.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 04, 2021 08:00PM
RAMd®d

What do you think "puristic zealous deniers" deny?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 04, 2021 08:14PM
Ted King
RAMd®d

the very existence of the virus
Date: May 04, 2021 08:19PM
hal
Ted King
RAMd®d

the very existence of the virus

I asked because I wasn't sure what RAMd®d meant. If it is that, then I agree.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 04, 2021 10:31PM
Plenty of anti-Vaxer liberals in the US, just saying.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 05, 2021 07:32AM
Ted King

I would call some of these people "zealous, acute, politically-influenced oppositional defiance disorder."

"My governor (a democrat) says we should stay home based on the advice of infectious disease experts. F-that! I'm going to kidnap & kill her!"

I've started back at the gym this week, so I get to enjoy reading the FNN chyron again. This time it was all about Biden confusing people about mask protocol (they were showing a pic of him and FLOTUS with the Carters at the time).

I bet they were furious when Trump said he wasn't going to wear a mask, then did wear one, and held superspreader events at the White House!

Well, I wasn't going to the gym then, so I'll just have to assume that they were.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 05, 2021 02:09PM
Lemon Drop

I'd say the point is this: when it comes to what we know now, a good 14 months after the U.S. pandemic began (and longer from the worldwide pandemic), there is a segment of the population that cannot even grasp what is empirically true any longer. On other words, they have "clung to their beliefs" about science that are false. The earth is not flat.
Posted by: kj
Date: May 05, 2021 03:28PM
I think people put too much weight on their personal experience, which isn't hard to understand, or uncommon for any group of people.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 150
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020