advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Arkansas executed an innocent man in 2017 DNA testing shows
Posted by: hal
Date: May 07, 2021 11:56AM
[www.nytimes.com]

“My dying words will always be, as it has been, ‘I am an innocent man,’” he told the BBC in an interview published on April 19, 2017 — the day before officials in Arkansas administered the lethal injection.

Four years later, lawyers affiliated with the Innocence Project and the American Civil Liberties Union say DNA testing has revealed that genetic material on the murder weapon — which was never previously tested — in fact belongs to another man. In a highly unusual development for a case in which a person has already been convicted and executed, the new genetic profile has been uploaded to a national criminal database in an attempt to identify the mystery man.

The Innocence Project and the A.C.L.U. have pushed for additional DNA testing at previous times, including the eve of Mr. Lee’s execution. The request was denied. A federal judge rejected Mr. Lee’s request for a stay of the execution, saying that he had “simply delayed too long,” according to a complaint filed by Ms. Young.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Arkansas executed an innocent man in 2017 DNA testing shows
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 07, 2021 02:26PM
hal
...genetic material on the murder weapon — which was never previously tested...The Innocence Project and the A.C.L.U. have pushed for additional DNA testing at previous times, including the eve of Mr. Lee’s execution. The request was denied...

Granted, I don't work in the legal community, so am not familiar with all of the arcane inner-workings, but speaking as an outsider: WTF?!!?
Posted by: kj
Date: May 07, 2021 02:32PM
That's sickening.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 07, 2021 03:05PM
The court version of kneeling on his neck

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 07, 2021 03:30PM
SDGuy
hal
...genetic material on the murder weapon — which was never previously tested...The Innocence Project and the A.C.L.U. have pushed for additional DNA testing at previous times, including the eve of Mr. Lee’s execution. The request was denied...

Granted, I don't work in the legal community, so am not familiar with all of the arcane inner-workings, but speaking as an outsider: WTF?!!?

'too late' says the court. That's understandable - you can't expect them to wait around for ever...

/s
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 07, 2021 03:45PM
This is why I am against the capital punishment.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 07, 2021 03:55PM
Yup
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 07, 2021 05:04PM
It's ONE reason I'm against capital punishment.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 07, 2021 06:11PM
Judges, District Attorneys, and prosecutors all fight anything that will cut down their success rate because they rely on keeping those numbers high to stay in their jobs.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 07, 2021 08:13PM
I like the MAGA's explanation of these things...'Well, he must have been guilty of SOMETHING'.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 07, 2021 10:29PM
How about we put to - I mean, put in - prison the people who perpetrated this travesty.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 08, 2021 12:20AM
Mistakes happen. Get over it. You don’t hear the guy they executed by mistake complaining.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 12:20AM by Speedy.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 08, 2021 08:10AM
I am reminded of the argument by one of the Supremes (Scalia?) that citizens are guaranteed process, not result. If the process fails (like it has here) and an innocent defendant is convicted and punished, too bad. Gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 09, 2021 01:17PM
Yep, actual innocence is no bar to conviction.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 16, 2021 10:28AM
Perhaps if Judges and Prosecutors would face murder charges for intentionally blocking/ignoring evidence of innocence? Maybe manslaughter if they did not know? Never gonna happen! Accountability is only for the poor white trash, @#$%& and @#$%&!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2021 10:29AM by Rolando.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 16, 2021 11:08AM
Insulating officials from personal responsibility for official acts (limited liability for police is the more current) is perhaps the most corrosive of underlying problems with the current criminal justice system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020