advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Vaxxed adults and unvaxxed kids - what's the conventional wisdom re: gathering/indoor activities?
Posted by: clay
Date: May 09, 2021 06:48PM
I understand the CDC is saying vaccinated adults can safely gather unmasked indoors in small groups from different households. (at least according to the latest CDC recommendations: [www.cdc.gov] ) That doesn't fully compute with me, as it would seem there is conflicting guidance from one paragraph to the next (in one paragraph they say masks aren't required, but then in the following say masks are recommended). But let's put that to the side for now.

My main question relates to adults who are fully vaccinated and children who are not vaccinated. It would seem that in small gatherings (like family or friend groups where the adults are all vaccinated) are at least getting the OK from CDC to gather.

I'm trying to balance the safety of children with the possibility of getting together with other vaccinated adults indoors. I know we don't have tons of long-term data about this all yet.

What do you folks make of this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Vaxxed adults and unvaxxed kids - what's the conventional wisdom re: gathering/indoor activities?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 09, 2021 07:01PM
We don't know to what extent the vaccinated can be carriers or asymptomatic breakthrough cases. As a result, it's best for the vaccinated to only socialize with the vaccinated.

But it's still best to keep up the rules even if everyone's vaccinated: Wear masks and keep up the social distancing indoors.

Add kids to the mix: You darned well better wear masks and socially distance. (Crack open the windows, too.) Kids may only show symptoms rarely, but when they do get ill, it can be bad. And we still don't know to what extent they shed the virus when they're asymptomatic.

Re: Vaxxed adults and unvaxxed kids - what's the conventional wisdom re: gathering/indoor activities?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 09, 2021 08:20PM
My sisters with school aged children are NOT allowing their children to be around others until they are vaccinated. And that's going to have to wait until towards the end of this year or early next year as safety testing continues.

It's also important to remember this....

Vaccination does not make you 100% immune. It helps. A LOT. And it's totally worth it.
Date: May 09, 2021 08:45PM
thanks, guys, for the reality check. Always helpful to hear from some folks who seem to be reasonably closely aligned with my priorities.

Me and my spouse are in agreement and are pretty conservative on the "return to normal" spectrum that we're witnessing with friends and close family members. Until the kids are vaccinated, we will need to continue to be the "stick in the mud" with regards to joining activities that we deem too risky.

I'm not trying to virtue signal or anything. It just starts to feel like we're the crazy ones for not being OK with a lot of the activities other people are doing. I understand life and parenting is all about balancing risk vs reward, but what seem like pretty clear-cut lines to us don't seem to be striking others in the same way. We'll continue to be OK with the current restrictions until the fundamentals change.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 10, 2021 12:24AM
Clay—- more power to you. A parents job is protecting their child. Listen to the experts (CDC ) and not the Farcebook Moms.

Kids are resilient. Yeah lack of outdoor physical friendships sucks. Burying a child is way worse.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 10, 2021 08:27AM
Yeah, this is going to be annoying for a while and we're in a process of creating new social norms around the current shape of the pandemic.

Personally, I feel safe being unmasked around others that share my views on the pandemic and have been vaccinated. Generally speaking, its okay for children to be in those situations but I'd be a bit more concerned about a lot of mixing of kids.

Its annoying but we're making progress.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 10, 2021 09:18AM
I think if you're waiting to go into social situations until most kids are vaccinated, you'll probably be waiting for quite some time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2021 09:19AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 10, 2021 09:31AM
My kid has been in school in person(Masks and 6 feet, etc.) since last March. Also has been doing sports(Masks required, but no distancing possible for obvious reasons). Everyone takes the mitigations seriously and doesn't come in if they feel sick and get tested and there have been no issues.

The idiots who won't follow the basic guidelines are the reason this is still around.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 10, 2021 09:40AM
C(-)ris
My kid has been in school in person(Masks and 6 feet, etc.) since last March. Also has been doing sports(Masks required, but no distancing possible for obvious reasons). Everyone takes the mitigations seriously and doesn't come in if they feel sick and get tested and there have been no issues.

The idiots who won't follow the basic guidelines are the reason this is still around.

Exactly, to your last sentence. And my kids are also in person school and playing sports. Last two weeks, there were 4600 tests of those associated with schools and 0 positive results.
Posted by: Z
Date: May 10, 2021 11:27AM
Little Z has a small bubble of friends (2) outside of in-person school that she gathers with indoors. Though both parent-Zs are vaccinated, we've limited what we do with her to err on reducing exposure potential. We'd contemplated some travel to see family, etc in TX and elsewhere but have at least pushed those plans back to autumn in hopes of the vaccine being approved for the 9-12 set.
Date: May 10, 2021 11:43AM
mrbigstuff
I think if you're waiting to go into social situations until most kids are vaccinated, you'll probably be waiting for quite some time.

Our kids will get vaccinated as soon as they're able to do so. My concerns mostly center around their risk level at this point as they interact with other unvaccinated kids in settings where the adults are vaccinated. Once our kids are vaccinated, I'll breathe a bit easier and be more OK with indoor gatherings, etc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 230
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020