Federal judge denies NRA attempt to declare bankruptcy
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 11, 2021 05:42PM
[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Federal judge denies NRA attempt to declare bankruptcy
Posted by: hal
Date: May 11, 2021 05:44PM
yeah, you can't just go spend a bunch of money then declare bankruptcy... nice try guys...
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 11, 2021 07:06PM
[apnews.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 11, 2021 07:28PM
Poor babies.

Not like NRA supporters will be moved by the revelation this group has basically scammed them.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 11, 2021 08:52PM
F@ck around and find out, Waynne LaPierre.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 11, 2021 09:39PM
Lemon Drop

Posted by: mrbill62
Date: May 12, 2021 12:59AM
• I am a life member of the NRA.
• I do not support LaPierre & haven't for years. When the NRA sends me fundraising pleas, the prepaid envelope gets returned with "FIRE WAYNE!" on an index card.
• When at 2018 NRA Annual Meeting & when WLP and his cronies stopped an attempt of the membership to remove WLP; that started the downfall of the NRA. The NRA is more than LaPierre & his cronies, much more.
• I believe in the Second Amendment.
• I believe that the vast majority of NRA members are legal gun owners and are inappropriately villified by those who wish to restrict our Constitutional Rights in a quest for power.
• Nearly everyone who bleats the phrases, "weapons of war", "assault weapon", & "assault rifle" hasn't a clue about firearms & is resorting to emotion & hyperbole rather than facts.
• Gun control laws will remain ineffective until there is emphasis on enforcement. Passing new laws will not change this. All passing new laws will accomplish is to provide politicians the ability to claim hey did something, especially in this time of "defund the police."
• Gun owners have an estimated over 400 millions firearms & over 12 trillion rounds of ammunition. When we become the probem, you WILL know it. To those who claim that the armed forces will defeat guerilla warfare, I ask, "How did we do in Vietnam?" and "How are we doing in Afghanistan?"
• If I need ID to buy a gun, don't complain about voter ID. Both are Constitutional rights.
• People should be required to take parenting classes before having children.
• Gun Control Advocates are allowed to blame all legal gun owners for the actions of a few. Now consider the response should all Muslims be blamed for the actions of a few. Substitute different races & religions for "legal gun owners" & imagine the responses. Hypocrisy in action.
• The judge was correct in saying, "“In recent years, however, it has become apparent that the NRA was suffering from inadequate governance and internal controls.”
• All of my firearms have been lost in a tragic boating accident.

The main reason that the NRA has survived since 2018 is the constant attempts to further restrict the Second Amendment & most are Life Members. I believe many yearly & 5 year members have and/or will not renew. I have become Life Members of the Gun Owners of America & the Second Amendment Foundation which have successfully defeated many attempts to attack the 2A.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 01:00AM by mrbill62.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 12, 2021 04:23AM
Thoughts and prayers for the Russian-funded NRA.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 12, 2021 08:25AM
Mrbill

I am not a member of the NRA
I have never owned a gun
I find hunting and target shooting to be boring, but that's me.
I agree 100% with just about everything you wrote

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 12, 2021 08:56AM
NRA has been a mess since well before 2018 so I’m glad this is coming to a head. It’s time.

I lived in Baltimore for 8 years, and gun control is absolutely NOT about restricting anyone’s constitutional rights. It’s about public safety. I do not understand the other links made, but the one that’s missing is police reform. Please keep the discussion about the critical issue - public safety. I live in a state where it’s now the constitutional right to hunt and fish. Gun owners overwhelmingly approve ID checks for purchases and gun registration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 08:56AM by sekker.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 12, 2021 08:59AM
Use that semi-atuomatic pistol with a large clip to hunt deer?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 12, 2021 08:59AM
vision63
Lemon Drop

She's the one
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 12, 2021 09:54AM
mrbill62
• All of my firearms have been lost in a tragic boating accident.

huh smiley
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2021 09:54AM
mrbill...
I get it. I do. I used to be a member of the NRA. I do own guns. I used to hunt. My father and grandfather were life members.

I gave up my membership when the NRA started going full on political. And then when they refused to even talk to me when I tried to get support to establish a gun lock program in my town after four of my children's high school classmates died by suicide with their parent's poorly stored guns.

The NRA has stopped being the member funded organization from my youth that was all about teaching gun safety and marksmanship, and become 100% raving lunatics funded by a variety of sources, from corporations to foreign governments trying to destabilize our country.

Unfortunately, your screed includes elements of that lunacy. Threats of armed terrorist attacks. Conflation of gun ownership with parenthood and voting.

The NRA as an organization is part and parcel of the movement to destroy this nation. You need to think about your membership through that lens. Will you ally yourself with people who are actively trying to destroy democracy, who encouraged and supported an armed terrorist attack on the nation's capitol ?

Step back from the lunacy, I beg you. You'll be a happier person. You can still go to the range. You can still hunt. You can still carry for protection if you need to.
Date: May 12, 2021 10:09AM

Use that semi-atuomatic pistol with a large clip to hunt deer?

Proves my point.
It is a magazine, not a "clip". The M1 Garand used a clip that was loaded with ammunition & pushed down into the magazine. After all of the rounds were expended, the clip was ejected with the well known "ping" sound as shown in "Saving Private Ryan" for example.

Please keep the discussion about the critical issue - public safety. I live in a state where it’s now the constitutional right to hunt and fish. Gun owners overwhelmingly approve ID checks for purchases and gun registration.

Enforcing current laws will go much towards improving public safety. Punishing those who follow the law does not. The GAO as well as OIG have both done studies regarding the lack of prosecutions for lying on form 4473 (a felony offence).
GAO - Few Individuals Denied Firearms Purchases Are Prosecuted
OIG - Audit of the Handling of Firearms Purchase Denials Through the NICS
Hunter Biden is an example of a prohibited person who purchaseed a firearm & was not prosecuted.

Gun control in the minds of many IS about restricting Constitutional rights.
75 Cases of those calling for Gun Confiscation (note the many politicians)
2020 Democrats on Gun Control

Nowhere in the text of the Second Amendment does the word hunt appear. Simply misdirection.

I have no issue w/ ID checks to purchase firearms. In fact, I underwent a deeper check to get my concealed carry permit; which in my state, I still fill out the 4473 which is kept on file, but do not have to wait for NICS approval.

Mrbill

I am not a member of the NRA
I have never owned a gun
I find hunting and target shooting to be boring, but that's me.
I agree 100% with just about everything you wrote/

Thank you.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 12, 2021 10:59AM
I'll let the vast majority of gun owners off the hook when they help put an end to gun violence. Currently, and for many year now, they've simply stood in the way and the NRA has been at the center of it. Gun ownership is as much a symbol of tribal belonging on the right as asking people for their preferred pronouns is on the left - the primary difference being one of those can kill someone. Gun ownership is a claim to power, and one that cannot be impeded no matter how many are hurt or killed, or so we are told. Other items that cause such destruction are restricted but guns have been put into a special class.

Quibbling over the names of gun parts is a distraction from the importance of what is being said.

The whole notion that the 2nd amendment allows universal gun ownership is a recent construct.

The Onion said it best - ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 11:02AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 12, 2021 12:34PM
Over one million dead in my lifetime from guns in the USA. But gunners gotta gun.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 12, 2021 01:21PM
sorry, I used the word 'clip' instead of the approved 'magazine'.

Therefore it's okay to hunt deer with a semi-automatic pistol and hundreds of round of ammo. (that's why you bought it, right?)
Date: May 12, 2021 07:39PM
Steve G.
sorry, I used the word 'clip' instead of the approved 'magazine'.

Therefore it's okay to hunt deer with a semi-automatic pistol and hundreds of round of ammo. (that's why you bought it, right?)

I don't hunt. According to my brother, real deer hunters don't use pistols or need hundreds of rounds. Relying on reductio ad absurdum?

That destroys your prejudice, doesn't it?

My sister works at a pharmacy & I would often give her a ride home at night (she doesn't drive). Her store has been robbed at both gun & knife point.

Silly me for wanting to protect my family (& myself) when & wherever possible. I take it very seriously.

Just an FYI:
It is illegal to own an automatic weapon (pistol, assault rifle, machine gun) manufactured after 1986. To buy such a weapon manufactured before 1986 the purchaser (transferee) must:
•both parties (dealer & buyer) must reside in the same state as the individual
•pay a $200 transfer tax to ATF (tax stamp)
•the application (ATF Form 4) must include detailed information on the firearm and the parties to the transfer
•the transferee must certify on the application that he or she is not disqualified from possessing firearms on grounds specified in law
•the transferee must submit with the application (1) two photographs taken within the past year; and (2) fingerprints
•the transferee must submit with the application (3) a copy of any state or local permit or license required to buy, possess, or acquire machine guns
•an appropriate (local) law enforcement official must certify whether he or she has any information indicating that the firearm will be used for other than lawful purposes or that possession would violate state or federal law
•the transferee must, as part of the registration process, pass an extensive Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background investigation.
I believe the current delay for approval is over 1 year. Also these weapons are ridiculously expensive.
The same process applies for suppressors.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 12, 2021 08:38PM
mrbill62
My sister works at a pharmacy & I would often give her a ride home at night (she doesn't drive). Her store has been robbed at both gun & knife point.

Silly me for wanting to protect my family (& myself) when & wherever possible. I take it very seriously.

You have a (legally obtained) CCW/CCL/CPL for a legally purchased firearm. No one has a beef with that (except maybe a few nuts that no one pays attention to).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 08:39PM by AllGold.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 12, 2021 09:46PM
mrbill62

Just an FYI:
It is illegal to own an automatic weapon (pistol, assault rifle, machine gun) manufactured after 1986. To buy such a weapon manufactured before 1986 the purchaser (transferee) must:
•both parties (dealer & buyer) must reside in the same state as the individual
•pay a $200 transfer tax to ATF (tax stamp)
•the application (ATF Form 4) must include detailed information on the firearm and the parties to the transfer
•the transferee must certify on the application that he or she is not disqualified from possessing firearms on grounds specified in law
•the transferee must submit with the application (1) two photographs taken within the past year; and (2) fingerprints
•the transferee must submit with the application (3) a copy of any state or local permit or license required to buy, possess, or acquire machine guns
•an appropriate (local) law enforcement official must certify whether he or she has any information indicating that the firearm will be used for other than lawful purposes or that possession would violate state or federal law
•the transferee must, as part of the registration process, pass an extensive Federal Bureau of Investigation criminal background investigation.
I believe the current delay for approval is over 1 year. Also these weapons are ridiculously expensive.
The same process applies for suppressors.

I'm trying to find information on this statement, but I do not see the support. The 1986 gun law protects gun owners. What am I missing?

In a separate statement, you imply that the cost of purchasing guns made before 1986 makes them prohibitive. Somehow, our nearly daily mass shooting rate shows that these 'gun extremists' - or home-grown terrorists, or whatever you want to call them - seem to access them just fine.
Date: May 12, 2021 10:12PM
sekker

I'm trying to find information on this statement, but I do not see the support. The 1986 gun law protects gun owners. What am I missing?

In a separate statement, you imply that the cost of purchasing guns made before 1986 makes them prohibitive. Somehow, our nearly daily mass shooting rate shows that these 'gun extremists' - or home-grown terrorists, or whatever you want to call them - seem to access them just fine.

Most of it is from the National Firearms Act of 1934. The Firearms Owners Protection Act (1986) is what prohibits the sale to civilians of automatic firearms (assault rifles, "machine guns") manufactured after the date of the law's passage. Requires ATF approval of transfers of automatic firearms.

The cost of purchasing automatic firearms comes from the scarcity of them, basic economics.

AFAIK there have been no mass shooting involving automatic weapons in the US in decades. IIRC the last was the North Hollywood shootout in 1977 using illegally modified weapons.
Date: May 12, 2021 10:36PM
I am in favor of rifle hunting the growing pestilence of deer. I never imagined that anyone would use a semi-automatic pistol to do it. (I was just funnin' you)

Which is why, aside from mowing down other people in a hail of bullets, committing untold numbers of crimes, committing suicide or killing your wife and the occasional dog, I can see no reason for there being 390,000,000 firearms in the U.S..
Date: May 12, 2021 10:54PM
I was a hunter. I’ve chosen not to hunt for several years because I prefer watching the critters running around to killing and eating them. I’m glad that it is a skill that I possess and I could see myself doing it again someday. I still own weapons and try to practice enough to maintain proficiency.

I live in areas where many friends and neighbors have weapons; many do not hunt, but lots do, and for many of them it represents an important food source. Hunting around here is an importatnt wildlife management tool.

I live, work, and recreate in areas where it would not be unusual to encounter grizzly and black bears, mountain lions and wolves.

I am not a member of the NRA. I think the NRA has made the gun situation worse in our country, despite being in an excellent position to make things better. For years I’ve hoped that they would come out in favor of some of the common sense gun regulations that something like 80% of Americans support.

For years, I’ve brought up what I call the grizzly test to illuminate the discussion on gun carrying; here’s a short version:
I’ve talked to many people who have been upset that they couldn’t carry weapons in some National Park backcountry areas. “I want to be able to defend myself if a grizzly charges”.

My response: Most charges are bluff charges. Many occur suddenly and at close range. A charging grizzly is a challenging target and difficult to stop if shooting is necessary.

I know many people who would make good decisions in such a situation, and would react competently and wisely. There are also some who would perform badly; take bad shots, spray bullets, etc.

Bottom line is that I’m fine with the disciplined, competent weapons carriers having a weapon in such circumstances, but the undisciplined, incompetent ones should not be carrying.

We need a system that takes that into account.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 10:57PM by btfc.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 13, 2021 01:03AM
This is a long read but if you're at all interested in how the NRA devolved from a volunteer organization to a political arm of the white nationalist movement and munitions industry.

The name is Harlon Carter, he led the NRA from 1977 to 1985 and handed over a turn key operation that Wayne LaPierre eventually turned into a personal ATM.
Date: May 13, 2021 01:47AM
Lost me at "White Nationalist". I've attended several NRA National meetings & I've met people of all races & religions. All the gun owners I've met to a person were pleasant & basically nice people. Tolerant & diverse. None felt the need to push their beliefs onto another.

WLP, his massive ego, & his cronies will end up destroying the NRA; especially w/ the NY AG labeling the NRA & its members terrorists. This is unfortunate as the NRA gun education is excellent. Can anyone list the gun safety courses that Everytown for Gun Safety offers? Moms Demand? I saw a video of a woman in a Moms Demand tee shirt reportedly teaching some sort of safety class waving a pistol around w/o any type of muzzle control. This violates the basic tenets of gun safety.

For as much as the left preaches diversity & tolerance, it only seems to apply to those that believes as they do. The only group I've met with so far are members of a liberal pro-gun group. Fun time at the range.

I am in favor of rifle hunting the growing pestilence of deer. I never imagined that anyone would use a semi-automatic pistol to do it. (I was just funnin' you)

Which is why, aside from mowing down other people in a hail of bullets, committing untold numbers of crimes, committing suicide or killing your wife and the occasional dog, I can see no reason for there being 390,000,000 firearms in the U.S..

Consider a firearm as a tool. Use the right tool for the right situation.

For concealed carry - the choice of firearm depends of clothing worn, placement of holster, weather (temp, season, rain), & other factors. Going running - small size pistol. Need to be careful not to print (clothing reveals outline of pistol). One reason why I'm against open carry is that it essentially paints a bulls-eye on the carrier. A bad guy will probably take out those that are possible threats first.

For hunting - what animal is being hunted, distances involved, & caliber being used are factors.

Home defense - shotgun, some people can't handle the recoil. This is where the AR is effective for its relative light recoil.

Target shooting - fun to go to the range & shoot at either paper or steel targets.

Teaching/practice - Learn to shoot with a .22 caliber (.22 cal used to be cheap & plentiful), develop proper techniques/habits before moving to larger calibers.

There's more to it than just the total number.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 01:55AM by mrbill62.
Date: May 13, 2021 09:26AM
I learned to shoot with a .22. Shot shotguns too. Pretty simple, really; Aim, pull trigger. Turns out I was fairly good at shooting inanimate targets. As a kid I shot a bird out of a tree once, egged on by adults. Made me sick to my stomach.

Listen, I eat meat, which means I have others kill animals for me. If people want to hunt (legally) that’s up to them, even though I don’t get the thrill of killing for sport, and it gives me an uneasy feeling about someone who does. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

But I don’t think that learning about guns/shooting is a particular accomplishment, or something that need be widely encouraged, any more than learning how to handle dynamite. People don’t end up dead or shooting other people because they’re not sufficiently trained. That’s a fable. It happens because of their intent or willful negligence, which is widespread among gun owners, aided by the almost ridiculous ease with which anyone can get a gun in a country with more guns than people.

It doesn’t matter what your definition of clip vs magazine is, or what gun you think is properly called an assault rifle. Many of us know the difference between automatic and semi-automatic, as though that makes a difference with bump stocks or kits with which you can effectively convert one to the other. A gun is only a “tool” if you plan on the possibility of killing someone or something with that tool. If you keep one in your home, your loved ones are much more likely to be injured or killed by one than if you don’t.

Fact is, we have way too many guns in this country, and people are unnecessarily injured and killed as a result of this obsession. We are an distant outlier as a developed country in this regard, and we suffer commensurately for it. This needs to change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 09:34AM by pdq.
Date: May 13, 2021 12:19PM
mrbill62
Most of it is from the National Firearms Act of 1934. The Firearms Owners Protection Act (1986) is what prohibits the sale to civilians of automatic firearms (assault rifles, "machine guns") manufactured after the date of the law's passage. Requires ATF approval of transfers of automatic firearms.

The cost of purchasing automatic firearms comes from the scarcity of them, basic economics.

AFAIK there have been no mass shooting involving automatic weapons in the US in decades. IIRC the last was the North Hollywood shootout in 1977 using illegally modified weapons.

"Twenty-four firearms, a large quantity of ammunition, and numerous high-capacity magazines capable of holding up to 100 rounds apiece...The AR-15 rifles were fitted with vertical forward grips and bump stocks, the latter of which allowed for recoil to actuate their triggers at a rate of 90 rounds in 10 seconds... Paddock was found to have fired a total of 1,058 rounds from fifteen of the firearm: 1,049 from twelve AR-15-style rifles, eight from two AR-10-style rifles...

... he had attempted to purchase tracer ammunition, but the gun dealer he approached did not have the item in stock. He bought tracer ammunition from a private seller at a Phoenix, Arizona gun show"

Quibble with the 60 dead and 411 wounded about the difference between "automatic" and "semi-automatic".

But hey; Second Amendment, well regulated militia and all that, so it's all cool.
Date: May 13, 2021 12:29PM
btfc
... I’m fine with the disciplined, competent weapons carriers having a weapon in such circumstances, but the undisciplined, incompetent ones should not be carrying.

Yes, I'm certain all those "undisciplined, incompetent ones" will come forward and declare their status. We're all set.

Reminds me very much of the statistic that "three-quarters (73 percent) of U.S. drivers consider themselves better-than-average drivers. Men, in particular, are confident in their driving skills with 8 in 10 considering their driving skills better than average."

I'd bet that gun owners self-rank themselves even higher.
Date: May 13, 2021 12:40PM
‘ Yes, I'm certain all those "undisciplined, incompetent ones" will come forward and declare their status. We're all set. ‘

Wow! You figured that out all by yourself? Amazing!
Date: May 13, 2021 12:52PM
DeusxMac
"Twenty-four firearms, a large quantity of ammunition, and numerous high-capacity magazines capable of holding up to 100 rounds apiece...The AR-15 rifles were fitted with vertical forward grips and bump stocks, the latter of which allowed for recoil to actuate their triggers at a rate of 90 rounds in 10 seconds... Paddock was found to have fired a total of 1,058 rounds from fifteen of the firearm: 1,049 from twelve AR-15-style rifles, eight from two AR-10-style rifles...

... he had attempted to purchase tracer ammunition, but the gun dealer he approached did not have the item in stock. He bought tracer ammunition from a private seller at a Phoenix, Arizona gun show"

Quibble with the 60 dead and 411 wounded about the difference between "automatic" and "semi-automatic".

But hey; Second Amendment, well regulated militia and all that, so it's all cool.

Since you didn't specify, I assume you are talking about the Las Vegas Shooting. A bump stock is not needed. There is a technique that replicates a bump stock. I will not link to it, but with practice, it is reasonably accurate.

WRT to Las Vegas:
Would a cargo truck driving through the crowd be more acceptable? (Nice, France)
What about a rental truck filled with ANFO? (Oklahoma City amongst many)

After 9/11, many ER staff & hospital security were trained in CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, & Explosives), myself included.

If you really want to freak out, get an early copy of the Anarchists Cookbook. Then you can quibble all you want.
Date: May 13, 2021 07:20PM
Nice try.

2020 saw more gun deaths in the US than any year in over two decades, showing even a pandemic couldn't stop the violence

19,379 gun deaths, including those from 611 mass shootings.

Orders of magnitude differences.
Date: May 14, 2021 12:31AM
Wow, even the FBI & CDC haven't yet released any stats for 2020.

Using the CDC WONDER Tool for guns in 2019 (which is very useful BTW) showed:
Suicides 23,941
Accidents 486
Assaults 14,394

FBI Crime in the US:
Total Firearms Homicides 10,258

Gun Violence Archive for 2019:
Suicides 24,090
Homicide/Murder/Unintentional/DGU 15,444

I did notice that the GVA does not collect data on race, either victim & perpetrator. Their search tool, while exporting to csv, doesn't do summations based on search criteria.

I'll wait for all of the data & do my own evaluations.

Thanks very much for the GVA source. I'll add it to my collection for sources & data.

I have spent 30 years in Emergency Medicine (Paramedic & RN) and have seen what horrible things humans do to each other. I simply refuse to be a victim and if possible will protect my family.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020