advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
“ WORKERS LURED FROM INDIA TO NEW JERSEY, PAID $1.20 PER HOUR FOR YEARS: LAWSUIT “
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 11, 2021 07:42PM
“ The lawsuit filed in federal court accuses the leaders of the Hindu organization known as Bochasanwasi Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha, or BAPS, of human trafficking and wage law violations.

The lawsuit says more than 200 workers - many or all of whom don't speak or understand English - were coerced into signing employment agreements in India to work at the Hindu temple in Robbinsville, outside Trenton. They traveled under R-1 visas, which are meant for "those who minister, or work in religious vocations or occupations," according to the lawsuit.

When they arrived, the lawsuit says, their passports were taken away and they were forced to work at the temple from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. with few days off, for about $450 per month. That wage works out to roughly $1.20 per hour.

Of the $450, the workers allegedly only received $50 in cash per month, with the rest deposited into their accounts in India.

The workers lived in a fenced-in compound where their movements were monitored by cameras and guards, according to the lawsuit, and they were told that if they left, police would arrest them because they didn't have their passports. “

[6abc.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “ WORKERS LURED FROM INDIA TO NEW JERSEY, PAID $1.20 PER HOUR FOR YEARS: LAWSUIT “
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 11, 2021 08:37PM
I live a few miles away from Robbinsville. I had no idea this temple existed.

EDIT: less than 5 miles from this place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2021 08:38PM by space-time.
Re: “ WORKERS LURED FROM INDIA TO NEW JERSEY, PAID $1.20 PER HOUR FOR YEARS: LAWSUIT “
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 11, 2021 08:44PM
here is the map, click on the "globe" and then go to the 3D view and tilt to see what's inside.

[www.google.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 11, 2021 08:51PM
This sort of thing is more common than one might imagine.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 11, 2021 09:15PM
'Moonlighting' was a 1982 movie staring Jeremy Irons as a Polish work foreman charged with keeping a crew of Polish workers in line while in London on a job. They were smuggled in by a Polish diplomat to work on his home.

This was one of the first video rentals of a movie that I had never heard of.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 11, 2021 09:26PM
space-time
I live a few miles away from Robbinsville. I had no idea this temple existed.

EDIT: less than 5 miles from this place

Please visit and report back.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 12, 2021 12:31AM
Hmm, I thought for sure they were going to be either Amazon warehouse or Chipotle line workers.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 12, 2021 02:02PM
There should be some sort of criminal complaint filed against those who organized or participated in this, assuming the allegations are true. There should also be a law about taking passports.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 391
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020