advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
... And you knew this might be coming
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 12, 2021 02:03PM
[www.huffpost.com]

... now that Liz has been ousted, let's hope they follow through with this. The real, not-insane Republicans need to distance themselves from the utter horsesh!tshow that is the current GOP.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ... And you knew this might be coming
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 12, 2021 02:05PM
It’s not going to work unless they grab a portion of the voting electorate.

In other words - what will Fox News say?

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 12, 2021 02:15PM
lots of FORMER bigwigs.

Unless the present crew of traitors is turned out in elections, the party doesn't stand a chance of reuniting with the Constitution.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 12, 2021 02:31PM
I think we're stuck with the Trump GOP for a while. Probably a decade at least. If they lose again in 22 and 24 then the donations will start to dry up.

This is who we are now.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 12, 2021 02:45PM
Their challenge is, how to offer something different (democracy) when Trump's GOP already gives conservatives everything they want in terms of regressiveness? If I was a staunch conservative, why would I care? I'm basically "winning" all the time, even when I lose.

That last part holds the key, because if you're poised to win the next time around, or pretty sure of it, there isn't much incentive to change anything. The only way this ship has a chance of turning around is if Dems hold the midterms so that Republican losses become that more dear.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 12, 2021 03:38PM
The Qpug states are doing their best to make sure that any votes coming from their states in 2022 are Qpug votes.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 12, 2021 04:11PM
deckeda
Their challenge is, how to offer something different (democracy) when Trump's GOP already gives conservatives everything they want in terms of regressiveness? If I was a staunch conservative, why would I care? I'm basically "winning" all the time, even when I lose.

It's a long shot but maybe if the "traditional" Republicans want to start another party, they should have more centrist policies. Lighter on the social reactionary crap and embracing a somewhat less libertarian take on economics. IOW, create a party that really goes for the middle. That would be interesting and could really shake things up.

deckeda
That last part holds the key, because if you're poised to win the next time around, or pretty sure of it, there isn't much incentive to change anything. The only way this ship has a chance of turning around is if Dems hold the midterms so that Republican losses become that more dear.

Given the improbability of a viable center based party created by traditional anti-Trump Republicans, I think you are right. And the key to that key is Democratic voter turnout and whether or not it will be sufficient to overcome Republican gerrymandering and voter suppression (and maybe even Republican state legislatures just deciding the winners irrespective of the votes). I wouldn't want to hazard a guess right now how that's going to turn out. Unfortunately, it looks like the Republicans could very well cheat democracy enough to take House and the Senate.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 04:12PM by Ted King.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 367
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020