advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Starve the peons into submission: Utah latest to refuse Federal unemployment supplement
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 12, 2021 02:06PM
Plenty of low-paying dangerous exposure jobs out there say the self-stuffed Republicans.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah will terminate its participation in the federal government’s pandemic-related unemployment assistance program, Gov. Spencer Cox announced Wednesday

Utah is the latest of several states, including Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana and South Carolina, ending the $300 federal benefit paid on top of state benefits. Cox, a Republican, said those extra federal benefits will end in Utah on June 26.

“This is the natural next step in getting the state and people’s lives back to normal,” Cox said. “With the nation’s lowest unemployment rate at 2.9% and plenty of good-paying jobs available today, it makes sense to transition away from these extra benefits that were never intended to be permanent.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Starve the peons into submission: Utah latest to refuse Federal unemployment supplement
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 12, 2021 02:07PM
Why look...here's a few of those posh jobs now!

9,000 employees sick as COVID overwhelms Arkansas workplaces
SPRINGDALE, Ark. (AP) — Poultry giant Tyson Foods Inc., the third-largest employer in Arkansas, reported 2,866 COVID-19 cases at its workplaces, nearly one-third of the state’s 9,065 sickened workers across all industries from May 19, 2020, to April 8, 2021, according to an Arkansascovid.com analysis of Arkansas Department of Health data.

The state health department publishes COVID-19 occupational illness reports that show businesses with five or more active cases. In less than one year, Tyson had 281 appearances in these reports. Comparatively, Walmart Inc., the largest employer in the state, had two appearances that totaled 12 sick workers.

Of Tyson’s 21 major locations in Arkansas, four have not appeared in the state’s data during the pandemic. Near the company’s headquarters in northwest Arkansas, the Tyson location on Berry Street in Springdale reported 416 COVID-19 cases, the most of any company workplace in the data.
Re: Starve the peons into submission: Utah latest to refuse Federal unemployment supplement
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 12, 2021 02:12PM
Should not be allowed. Seems like a violation to take away something the federal govt wanted people to have, and you're denied simply because you live in the wrong state.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 12, 2021 03:11PM
Meanwhile, California has what's now being touted as a $76 Billion surplus, and they'll soon pass legislation to send individuals $600 and those with dependents an extra $500.

[www.usatoday.com]

Many are calling this a Recall Refund.

Wonder if Newsom will hold up the works to ensure his signature is on the checks…
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 12, 2021 05:01PM
Steve G.
“This is the natural next step in getting the state and people’s lives back to normal,” Cox said. “With the nation’s lowest unemployment rate at 2.9% and plenty of good-paying jobs available today, it makes sense to transition away from these extra benefits that were never intended to be permanent.”

If the state already has the lowest unemployment rate in the country, then why does action need to be taken? Also, the extra benefits are not permanent; they expire everywhere in less than four months.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 12, 2021 07:02PM
AllGold
Steve G.

If the state already has the lowest unemployment rate in the country, then why does action need to be taken? Also, the extra benefits are not permanent; they expire everywhere in less than four months.

I'm guessing because they want the few that are still drawing benefits to take one of those jobs that are open. They likely have job openings primarily in the $13-$18 range and those are difficult to fill when unemployment pays almost as much as those jobs do.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 12, 2021 08:31PM
Sure, but they will never have all jobs filled. I don't think their action will change the state's unemployment rate.

Posted by: sekker
Date: May 12, 2021 09:39PM
The latest GOP rant is that unemployment insurance is destroying Merica!

I find it interesting that in my back yard, the pandemic has led many to second-guess their lives, abandoning the rat-race that needed second jobs, and consolidating personal housing etc.

I also know many women who used to be in the work force and decided enough is enough. They are tired of doing the same job as men and being paid like crap. If they can pull it off, they can have more control of their lives by NOT being treated poorly at some low-paying employment. So long as they have housing, they are not going back while their kids are learning from home - or ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 09:40PM by sekker.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 13, 2021 08:56AM
AllGold

^this.

...and Governor Cox knows that. He’s just trying to plant a meme in the heads of the Faux News crowd.

You know, I find this “all you lazy minimum-wage peons, back to work!” thing a little offensive; I’m okay with temporary labor shortages this summer and waiting a little longer to get served if it means employers may end up paying these bottom-of-the-ladder folks a little bit more.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 13, 2021 12:20PM
I don't think their action will change the state's unemployment rate.

I don't think the State thinks so either, nor do they actual care.

What's the buzz word — theater?

(No offense to Brother Buzz!)

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 14, 2021 12:57PM
2.9% unemployment is below the so-called natural unemployment rate and it means a lot of jobs are going unfilled. Staying in that state too long causes inflation. And because our country is so corporatist, we worry about inflation much more than the basic needs of our people.

They are not trying to impact the unemployment rate, they want people to take those unfilled jobs without businesses needing to pay decent living wages.

We have a government that fully subsidizes corporate profits in America by forcing people into poverty wage jobs. The basic needs of those underpaid people are then covered by taxpayers with food, housing, childcare and healthcare support.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020