advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"CDC says vaccinated people can take masks off indoors and outdoors"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 13, 2021 02:34PM
[thehill.com]

Well, there a few important caveats so the headline is a bit of an overstatement, but:

People who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 can safely resume life without any restrictions, according to long-awaited federal guidance released Thursday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says if you are fully vaccinated — two weeks past the last required COVID-19 vaccine dose — you don't need to wear masks indoors or outside, and you don't need to maintain physical distance.

The change is a monumental shift in how the agency has communicated about the risks of the coronavirus and the benefits of vaccines, and is a major step towards reopening America in time for the July 4th holiday.

Essentially, for vaccinated people, life can begin to return to normal.

"Anyone who is fully vaccinated, can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said during a White House briefing. "If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic. We have all longed for this moment, when we can get back to some sense of normalcy."

The new guidelines do not apply to health care settings, correctional facilities or homeless shelters, the agency said. People will also need to follow local business and workplace guidances, so masks are likely to continue to be required in private businesses.

In addition, CDC emphasized fully vaccinated people should still wear well-fitted masks where required by laws, rules and regulations, including on airplanes, trains and public transportation.

It also urged those who are immune-compromised to speak with their doctors before giving up their masks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "CDC says vaccinated people can take masks off indoors and outdoors"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 13, 2021 02:40PM
the official link
[www.cdc.gov]

Continue to respect local rules and the rules in private property (shops).
Ohio is still mask obligatory until June 2nd.

There is NO requirement for people to prove they are vaccinated. I'll continue to carry my card though. A bit clunky in the wallet....

I will continue to mask until everyone in my household has been fully immunized. I just hit the 2 week after the second shot.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 13, 2021 03:02PM
The ones requiring "belief" that it's a good idea will largely be the ones who get sick. The rest of us are about to live our lives for real.
Date: May 13, 2021 03:05PM
another similar headline,

CDC says fully vaccinated Americans no longer need masks indoors or outdoors in most cases
The relaxation of restrictions incentivizes people to get the shots and helps pave the way for a full reopening of society.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: May 13, 2021 03:09PM
FREEDOM!!

Date: May 13, 2021 03:20PM
Aw, no Hookers ‘n Booze?

They forgot the incentive about random sex: Go bar-hopping, hookup with strangers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 03:21PM by deckeda.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 13, 2021 03:36PM
Does this prvent store owners from banning people who are not wearing a mask?
Date: May 13, 2021 03:39PM
Dennis S

no
Date: May 13, 2021 03:40PM
Dennis S

Companies can do whatever they want but without government support it won't be enforceable ... but note that the language here does identify certain types of businesses it still recommends you mask up.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 13, 2021 04:17PM
....so won't this result in people using......less protection......and a baby boom will result.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 13, 2021 04:25PM
Key word is "vaccinated."
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 13, 2021 05:55PM
Call me skeptical, but I don't see how this could possibly go wrong. <sarc> </sarc>

For someone like myself, I was planning on continuing to use my N95 regardless ... the vaccination in my case likely not being anywhere near as effective as for the average person.

And for those of you who don't have my issues and who are vaccinated, do you really want to trust that that guy next to you who isn't masked and breathing in your face has been vaccinated? Even if you're vaccinated, there's the possibility of breakthrough infection, and then there are also the variants.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 13, 2021 06:20PM
PeterB
Call me skeptical, but I don't see how this could possibly go wrong. <sarc> </sarc>

For someone like myself, I was planning on continuing to use my N95 regardless ... the vaccination in my case likely not being anywhere near as effective as for the average person.

And for those of you who don't have my issues and who are vaccinated, do you really want to trust that that guy next to you who isn't masked and breathing in your face has been vaccinated? Even if you're vaccinated, there's the possibility of breakthrough infection, and then there are also the variants.

You can never be too safe. But I have probably been incrementally exposed to the virus these last few months since my second dose (on Feb. 2, Moderna) because I was less concerned about maintaining social distance. I got a physical and had a routine dental visit, both things I avoided before being vaccinated. More trips to stores, more verbal exchanges with the unmasked. Exposure that my immunization kept me from getting sick but also possibly keeping my immune system on its toes. I’ll go with the science and d/c the mask except where required by management.

My daughter (kidney transplant) got the Pfizer and two weeks after the second dose returned to her job at McDonald’s at the beginning of March. I’m not worried about her becoming seriously infected because her transplant center told us her risk was minimal and gave us the go-ahead as long we were comfortable with her work conditions. The dining room is still closed, all employees are masked and her main exposure is through her interactions with her teen co-workers. She works the window handing out orders to the public and they are typically not masked in their vehicles. Again, incremental exposure.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 13, 2021 06:27PM
....but can you leave your hat on......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 13, 2021 06:30PM
Speedy, I dunno. Your exposure, that seems reasonable. But if I were you, I'd be very concerned about your daughter. There are probably quite a few who will go maskless who have NOT gotten vaccinated. And teenagers ... that age group is likely to behave more irresponsibly than most. And then there are her customers.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 13, 2021 07:12PM
PeterB
Speedy, I dunno. Your exposure, that seems reasonable. But if I were you, I'd be very concerned about your daughter. There are probably quite a few who will go maskless who have NOT gotten vaccinated. And teenagers ... that age group is likely to behave more irresponsibly than most. And then there are her customers.

She has an appointment with the chair of the infectious disease department at the U of Minnesota in early June. We’ll learn much more at that time but, for now, she has an amber light.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 13, 2021 08:02PM
hilarious comment stolen from twitter: It’s possible the CDC saw a bunch of us trying to hoard gasoline in old Burger King cups and just gave up
Posted by: davester
Date: May 13, 2021 08:08PM
The big fly in the ointment here is the great unwashed (err, I mean unmasked) masses who are anti-maskers and don't follow any safety guidelines. Those folks are basically a pestilence who need to be avoided or branded with a scarlet letter across their foreheads. I look at this as allowing for me to hang out with groups who I personally know have been vaccinated. Any other indoor venue is not safe unless there is enforced social distancing (i.e. widely spaced tables) and good ventilation, or vaccination cards are required to be shown at the door.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 13, 2021 08:23PM
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 13, 2021 08:24PM
Schools, well high schools anyway, are going to have to choose between only letting the vaccinated in building or still requiring masks. That is going to go over well....

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 13, 2021 08:29PM
Oh the schools here never required masks. They aren’t going to care if anyone’s jabbed.
Date: May 14, 2021 01:25AM
davester
The big fly in the ointment here is the great unwashed (err, I mean unmasked) masses who are anti-maskers and don't follow any safety guidelines. Those folks are basically a pestilence who need to be avoided or branded with a scarlet letter across their foreheads. I look at this as allowing for me to hang out with groups who I personally know have been vaccinated. Any other indoor venue is not safe unless there is enforced social distancing (i.e. widely spaced tables) and good ventilation, or vaccination cards are required to be shown at the door.

That's exactly the rub. The great unmasked will not admit that they weren't vaccinated, and aren't going to wear any scarlet letter, so you'll have no way of knowing if the people you're around have or haven't been vaccinated. And if you press them on it and demand to see their vaccination card, they'll freak out and say "you can't tell me what to do!" or some such nonsense; likewise, they'll reject any masking or social distancing guidelines, as they've mostly been doing all along. Meanwhile, they'll be milling around amongst all those who have been vaccinated, infecting each other and perhaps also some of those who have been vaccinated.

Some decent discussion of the social/privacy/safety issues this all raises, here: [www.nytimes.com]
(they bring up what was quite possibly really behind this announcement...)

Posted by: Janit
Date: May 14, 2021 05:54AM
Under these circumstances, the only way to feel that our neighbors are sufficiently vaccinated is to see it reflected in a significantly lower COVID case rate. CDC has cited a lower case rate as the reason for changing the mask mandate. Personally, I would like to see it even lower.

It might have been better for CDC to announce the good news that the case rate is going down, and then recommend a step-wise return to normal based on how the local case rates change with time.

In other words, when the case rate reaches X you will be able to do Y, and so on. And then finish with the reminder that the best way to lower the local case rate is for everyone who can to take the vaccine.

I realize that people might still decide to ignore the guidance, but I think it would have been a better conservative yet optimistic approach, and would feel more reasonable to the people who are now feeling blind-sided.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2021 05:55AM by Janit.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 14, 2021 07:28AM
Remember, this is a recommendation, states and local entities, including businesses still have the final say. Michigan has reached the first vaccination milestone, 55% have had their first shot, this allows business to start bringing workers back by the end of May. I still think the 70% first shot immunization threshold to full reopening is short-sighted, I would have liked to see 80%, but the governor does have to play some politics, after all.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 14, 2021 08:05AM
IMO the infection rate is the only thing that matters. They look at the vaccination rate as a way to motivate people which isn't quite cause and effect.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 14, 2021 06:40PM
deckeda
Companies can do whatever they want but without government support it won't be enforceable ...

huh smiley

So “No shoes, no shirt. No service!” isn’t enforceable?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 14, 2021 07:46PM
I am at a bit of a loss to understand the assumption that because I can stop wearing a mask, I am going to start attending crowded indoor events where I am forced to have strangers in my personal space. I may not take my mask but it doesn't mean I leave my brain back home inside it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2021 07:47PM by $tevie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020