advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Hiring was fine - for men. Women? Not so much.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 13, 2021 06:27PM
Indeed, over 266k jobs were added - but the net were for men. Over the last month, women netted LOSS of 64k jobs. (does this mean it was a net gain of over 320k jobs for men? I think so). Imagine - we are STILL bleeding women from the workforce.

Why is that? I think it's because women (and some men) have decided to re-assess their lives.

'Even among those who have jobs, people are rethinking their options. Front-line workers are reporting high levels of burnout, causing some to seek a new career path. There’s also been a wave of retirements as workers over 50 quit because they don’t want to return to teaching, home health care or other front-line jobs. More affluent Americans say they are retiring early because their retirement portfolios have surged in the past year and the pandemic has taught them that life is short. They don’t want to spend as much time at a desk, even if it is safe.'

This article talks more about the idea this is a far bigger change than economics (open in an incognito window or have a WP sub):

'It’s not a ‘labor shortage.’ It’s a great reassessment of work in America.'

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hiring was fine - for men. Women? Not so much.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 13, 2021 06:51PM
sekker

'It’s not a ‘labor shortage.’ It’s a great reassessment of work in America.

I think that’s absolutely true.

If only there were some source of new workers that would be willing to take entry-level jobs in exchange for a chance for a better life for themselves and their children...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 13, 2021 07:18PM
Those women are just lazy. That’s why states are cutting off the enhanced federal benefit - to get them out of the house and back to the grindstone.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 13, 2021 08:15PM
Speedy
Those women are just lazy. That’s why states are cutting off the enhanced federal benefit - to get them out of the house and back to the grindstone.

WELFARE QUEENS
- Ghost of Granny Reagan
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 13, 2021 08:20PM
deckeda
Speedy

WELFARE QUEENS
- Ghost of Granny Reagan

If you're going there, go all out and throw in the racism as well

CADILLAC QUEENS
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 14, 2021 01:25AM
I think they are staying home because their pay after taxes and credits isn't enough to pay for child care. It might change after people see how the new tax credits work.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 14, 2021 12:33PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I think they are staying home because their pay after taxes and credits isn't enough to pay for child care. It might change after people see how the new tax credits work.

This has been true for at least 25 years. I know because my wife is a teacher, and child care for our two children would have been far more than the pay she would have earned as a tenured teacher in Baltimore Public Schools. She stayed home, volunteered when she could (which was often up to 30 hours/week at our school as an outstanding professional parent classroom TA), and then went back to school for a Masters when our kids left the house.

After working throughout COVID with in-person classes, she received only MORE work and actually LESS pay. We have her new contract, and it's not a step forward. We are seriously considering change. We can afford to have her not earn a paycheck. She is a dedicated professional and will walk if there is no respect.

Professions dominated by women are almost ALWAYS underpaid in our society.

The time of reckoning is here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020