advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Racist?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 15, 2021 12:43PM
My friends are buying a house and it was expected that they would have to pay the asking price. It turns out the seller (a Russian jewish family) wanted to sell the house to "whites". since my friends happen to be whites, they did get a good deal on the house ($20k under asking price). there is a high population of Asian people around here so I guess the seller didn't want to sell to Asians.

We know for a fact that the seller preferred white buyers since he mentioned that explicitly to another friends who happens to live across the street from them. This is how our friends found about about this house.

Anyway, isn't this against racial discrimination? Also as a seller why could you lose money by refusing to sell to people of a different race?

The irony is that Jews were persecuted and now they this Jewish couple are racist.

EDIT: sorry if the initial wording was poorly chose. I did not mean to imply that the entire Jewish people are racist. I was thinking about this couple. Once again sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2021 01:41PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Racist?
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 15, 2021 12:49PM
Per [www.findlaw.com] it is indeed illegal to refuse an offer explicitly because of race. But you can disguise it behind a lot of other reasons. I'm guessing you'd have a hard time finding anyone to prosecute the case, especially if the only proof is a hearsay conversation related by a third party. You'd need to hire a lawyer on your own dime.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 15, 2021 01:12PM
space-time

The irony is that Jewish were persecuted and now they are racist.

Yeah, thanks for slandering the entire Jewish people. These people are definitely racists and should be condemned for it.

I'm sure you might wish to modify your statements about Jews.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 15, 2021 01:13PM
space-time

Jews have diverse views, as do people of all faiths and cultures.

And just as with every group of people, some can't learn from history or pick up the wrong lessons.

Date: May 15, 2021 01:39PM
Steve G.
space-time

Yeah, thanks for slandering the entire Jewish people. These people are definitely racists and should be condemned for it.

I'm sure you might wish to modify your statements about Jews.

I can see how this was poorly worded. I should not have said "they", I should have said this family.

I apologize for my error. This is NOT what I had in mind when I posted. Again "they" referred to this couple, not to the entire Jewish population.

Really sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2021 01:51PM by space-time.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 15, 2021 01:53PM
This 1'40" youtube clip about discrimination when selling a residence has a wonderful (and funny) ending.

Todd's all-keys-are-equal board
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 15, 2021 02:07PM
If they are moving it is even harder to see why they would care who bought the house, but I don’t even pretend to understand what goes on in some people’s minds.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: May 15, 2021 03:15PM
rgG
If they are moving it is even harder to see why they would care who bought the house, but I don’t even pretend to understand what goes on in some people’s minds.

I could see how one would care if they had family living in the house next door, but even then you would be breaking the law by discriminating against poeple based on race or something else.

I don't know more about this case. I also suspect it happes more often that we think.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 15, 2021 04:45PM
So the seller likely lost $20K because of his racist views? I suppose everything has a cost, and people do spend money on dumb things.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 15, 2021 05:18PM
This is how neighborhoods in certain areas stayed all or mostly one race for decades. The mere thought that a seller would let their house be bought by another race was not entertained, and definitely frowned upon by your neighbors (because you didn't want to "offend" anyone even if you were moving away). That said, a seller does have the right to choose the person(s) to whom they sell. I'd choose a family, for instance, over a tech bro, even if it meant losing a bit of cash.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 15, 2021 05:30PM
mrbigstuff
I'd choose a family, for instance, over a tech bro, even if it meant losing a bit of cash.

What do you have against unmarried men who work in tech?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 15, 2021 05:54PM
mrbigstuff
This is how neighborhoods in certain areas stayed all or mostly one race for decades. The mere thought that a seller would let their house be bought by another race was not entertained, and definitely frowned upon by your neighbors (because you didn't want to "offend" anyone even if you were moving away). That said, a seller does have the right to choose the person(s) to whom they sell. I'd choose a family, for instance, over a tech bro, even if it meant losing a bit of cash.

Racial Covenants are specific language included in a deed that prohibit the owner from selling to certain racial groups of Black, Asian or Jewish heritage. Although they are superseded by current law, they are not uncommon to this day. In my area, there are ongoing efforts to find and remove that language from deeds even before a sale.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: May 15, 2021 06:40PM
Ammo
mrbigstuff

Racial Covenants are specific language included in a deed that prohibit the owner from selling to certain racial groups of Black, Asian or Jewish heritage. Although they are superseded by current law, they are not uncommon to this day. In my area, there are ongoing efforts to find and remove that language from deeds even before a sale.

wow, never heard of this but now I can see how such discrimination took place in the past.
Date: May 15, 2021 07:29PM
Ammo
mrbigstuff

Yes, those definitely existed but that's not what I'm referring to in my post. It was just "unsaid" but widely accepted.
Date: May 15, 2021 07:31PM
mattkime
mrbigstuff
I'd choose a family, for instance, over a tech bro, even if it meant losing a bit of cash.

What do you have against unmarried men who work in tech?

Nothing, and l know a bunch. But I'd much prefer a family to bring some life to neighborhoods now bereft of kids.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 16, 2021 07:47PM
Look into Oregon exclusion laws, and Redlining. Washington state seems to be in the process of banning the use of Zip Codes in determining insurance rates because in many areas Zip Codes were based on Redlined neighborhoods.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020