advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Decades of conspiracy theories pay off with an undetectable injectable tracking chip...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 16, 2021 11:17AM
[www.engineering.columbia.edu]

Researchers at Columbia Engineering report that they have built what they say is the world's smallest single-chip system, consuming a total volume of less than 0.1 mm3. The system is as small as a dust mite and visible only under a microscope. In order to achieve this, the team used ultrasound to both power and communicate with the device wirelessly. The study was published online May 7 in Science Advances.

“We wanted to see how far we could push the limits on how small a functioning chip we could make,” said the study’s leader Ken Shepard, Lau Family professor of electrical engineering and professor of biomedical engineering. “This is a new idea of ‘chip as system’—this is a chip that alone, with nothing else, is a complete functioning electronic system. This should be revolutionary for developing wireless, miniaturized implantable medical devices that can sense different things, be used in clinical applications, and eventually approved for human use.” ...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Decades of conspiracy theories pay off with an undetectable injectable tracking chip...
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 16, 2021 11:31AM
It's unclear to me whether these injected chips are supposed to operate from the muscle in which they were injected, or should they be put into the bloodstream to lodge in the brain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2021 11:33AM by Acer.
Re: Decades of conspiracy theories pay off with an undetectable injectable tracking chip...
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2021 11:45AM
0.1 mm^3 is small, but I could be more impressed with (0.1mm)^3

bonus points if you can tell the difference.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 16, 2021 11:50AM
space-time

0.1 mm^3 = 0.1 mm * mm * mm = 0.1mmmmmm

Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 16, 2021 11:53AM
mattkime
space-time

smiley-laughing001

e pluribus unum
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 16, 2021 11:56AM
Ted King
mattkime
space-time

smiley-laughing001

So, I guess you guys are saying size does matter. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 16, 2021 12:09PM
So, I guess you guys are saying size does matter.

LOL1

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 16, 2021 12:10PM
LOL!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Diana
Date: May 16, 2021 12:21PM
rgG
Ted King
mattkime
space-time

smiley-laughing001

Yes, it does!

Let's see if I can unfurl my nerd flag.

0.1 mm^3 = 0.1 mm by 0.1 mm by 0.1 mm (a cube)
(0.1 mm)^3 = 0.1 mm x 0.1 mm x 0.1 mm = (0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1) mm^3 = 0.001 mm^3, about 1 µm^3 (again, a cube but much much smaller)

To put it into context:

"A typical human red blood cell has a disk diameter of approximately 6.2–8.2 µm and a thickness at the thickest point of 2–2.5 µm and a minimum thickness in the centre of 0.8–1 µm, being much smaller than most other human cells." (Wikipedia)

The first one would cause a stroke in the bloodstream if it blocked a vessel in the brain. The second would be just fine.

Did I win? smileys with beer
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 16, 2021 12:24PM
Mmm Mmm Mmm (Mmm)

[m.youtube.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 16, 2021 12:32PM
Now I want a Zune and a divorce.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 16, 2021 01:00PM
Diana
rgG
Ted King
mattkime
space-time

smiley-laughing001

Yes, it does!

(0.1 mm)^3 = 0.1 mm x 0.1 mm x 0.1 mm = (0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1) mm^3 = 0.001 mm^3, about 1 µm^3 (again, a cube but much much smaller)

To put it into context:

"A typical human red blood cell has a disk diameter of approximately 6.2–8.2 µm and a thickness at the thickest point of 2–2.5 µm and a minimum thickness in the centre of 0.8–1 µm, being much smaller than most other human cells." (Wikipedia)

The first one would cause a stroke in the bloodstream if it blocked a vessel in the brain. The second would be just fine.

No, because you basically posted the same description of the two.

The first one could be 1 mm x 1 mm x 0.1 mm, not the 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 that you posted.

Another set of dimensions that would result in 0.1 mm3 is 0.5 mm x 0.5 mm x 0.4 mm
Posted by: Diana
Date: May 16, 2021 01:14PM
JoeH
Diana
rgG
Ted King
mattkime
space-time

smiley-laughing001

Yes, it does!

To put it into context:

No, because you basically posted the same description of the two.

The first one could be 1 mm x 1 mm x 0.1 mm, not the 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 that you posted.

Another set of dimensions that would result in 0.1 mm3 is 0.5 mm x 0.5 mm x 0.4 mm

Not what was stated; perhaps implied but not stated. True, mm^3 is a volume but as stated it means a shape of 0.1 mm per side. If I said I had a particle 0.1 mm^3 it is implied that it’s size is 0.1 mm across, either round or square. If I said the particle had a volume of 0.1 mm^3 then the shape is irrelevant as long as the volume is 0.1 mm^3.

The prior discussion assumed size, not shape.

And there is a BIG difference in cubic millimeters and cubic micrometers. The parenthesis given in the original post regarding bonus points gives the intent of the poster.

Edit: specificity in language is important

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2021 01:14PM by Diana.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 16, 2021 01:22PM

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2021 01:22PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Spock
Date: May 16, 2021 01:38PM
Was the research financed by Bill Gates?

Conspiracy theorists will want to know.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 16, 2021 02:05PM
Melinda did the financing while Bill invested his in Dogecoin.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 16, 2021 05:31PM
So is this why State Department employees are having health problems? They had listening chips implanted and the ultrasound waves to power them are giving them headaches...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 16, 2021 06:35PM
Wow, BOOM!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 16, 2021 08:18PM
I am glad you all found this entertaining.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 17, 2021 09:09AM
I always laugh about the 'tracking chip' idea. Ever chip a pet ? You've gotta read from close in. Now you can track movements by an RFID chip embedded in a person by setting up reading 'doorways' in public buildings, mass transit, etc.

What IS more easily dont is small 'wearable' devices that can be put into clothing, shoes, etc.. that provide a cell signal to track the clothing and theoretically the wearer.

Is an implantable actual cellular enabled tracking devices be possible now at a limited basis ? Yeah, probably. Battery life is very limited. Or powered by temperature differentials inside the body (which is possible).

I expect the technology to be first mass developed and implemented in China, probably to be used on a non Han population. And probably include an implanted explosive for 'sudden aneurysm' death. BioEthics is not a thing in China.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 17, 2021 09:25AM
“TPC has developed a ‘modern electronic miracle’, the Cerebrum Communicator (CC), a microelectronic device that can communicate wirelessly with any other CC in the world. With the CC implanted in the brain, a user need only think of the phone number to be called, and is instantly connected…
For this to work, every human being will be assigned a number instead of a name, and will have the CC implanted prenatally.”

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 861
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020