advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Did you learn about the Tulsa Maasacre in school?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 19, 2021 01:40PM
I did not. Don't even remember hearing about it until fairly recently. I heard one college professor say when teaches it now the students get traumatized and upset because they had never heard of it before. We gotta do better.

The testimony during the remembrance ceremony is very powerful.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Did you learn about the Tulsa Maasacre in school?
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 19, 2021 01:57PM
Not until later.

I knew about some similar incidents; I believe that I learned about Rosewood, Fl in school:

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

[blackthen.com]
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 19, 2021 02:06PM
High School in the 70's. I assumed it was common knowledge until I found out it wasn't. There were a bunch of Tulsas.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 19, 2021 02:15PM
I learned about it in the last 10 years or so
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 19, 2021 02:20PM
Most I learned about such instances in school were generalities, and that there had been lynchings into the first half of the century. No specifics about Tulsa or Rosewood or other such race riots. They certainly were not mentioned as counterpoints to the riots in black ghetto areas during the '60s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2021 02:22PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2021 02:38PM
No, nor any other incidents. Jim Crow was not taught, either. I graduated in ‘68 from an all-white school in the ‘burbs. We didn’t discuss integration or desegregation nor voting rights even though these were in the news almost daily except in passing, perhaps because our textbooks were pre-‘65. We also never discussed the war in Vietnam much.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 19, 2021 03:15PM
Ditto Speedy.

In that era, we were so racist we didn’t even know it. AFAIR, there was no awareness whatsoever in my all-white community. It’s interesting to me that while I can’t recall being explicitly taught to be racist, I was as deeply racist as everyone else. It was part of the air we breathed.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 19, 2021 03:21PM
In Georgia in the 70’s, surely you jest.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 19, 2021 04:12PM
Are you kidding? The civil war was the war of northern aggression.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 19, 2021 04:26PM
We did not learn about it in Arkansas in the 60's.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 19, 2021 05:06PM
Nothing here, either - in Southern IL, it was the 'War Between the States.'

My kids grew up in MN, I do not recall them learning in their high school more recently, either.

I consider it good news that this word is getting out for sure.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: May 19, 2021 05:18PM
From the early 1950s thru the mid 1960s, not a word. I did think it strange that there were no non-whites in the small community I grew up in south of Boston MA (given that there certainly were non-whites in Boston metro).

By the first week in college, I had met a large number of folks who did not look like me, and I was quite happy. Still am.

Wish me luck.

=TC
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 19, 2021 05:30PM
TheCaber
From the early 1950s thru the mid 1960s, not a word. I did think it strange that there were no non-whites in the small community I grew up in south of Boston MA (given that there certainly were non-whites in Boston metro).

By the first week in college, I had met a large number of folks who did not look like me, and I was quite happy. Still am.

Wish me luck.

^^^^ This.

Growing up in a Boston adjacent city in that same time period, never even had a non-white classmate until the first year of a high school located in a different Boston adjacent city. Archdiocesan textbooks barely touched on slavery.
Date: May 19, 2021 06:31PM
On a related note, the trustees at UNC Chapel Hill overrode a faculty tenure recommendation for Nikole Hannah Jones, author of the Pullitzer winning 1619 Project

It's pretty much unheard of for a board to do this. They did it because conservatives including Trump don't like what she has to say about the role of slavery in US history.

[19thnews.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2021 06:32PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 19, 2021 06:32PM
Nothing in my rural area of Iowa in the mid to late sixties. I had a lot of catching up to do in college and even then I didn't hear about what happened in Tulsa.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2021 06:40PM
Lemon Drop
On a related note, the trustees at UNC Chapel Hill overrode a faculty tenure recommendation for Nikole Hannah Jones, author of the Pullitzer winning 1619 Project

It's pretty much unheard of for a board to do this. They did it because conservatives including Trump don't like what she has to say about the role of slavery in US history.

[19thnews.org]

Disgusting.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 19, 2021 06:49PM
Apparently OK is the only state that requires this event be taught, and that requirement is very recent.

[www.parents.com]

I hope the focus on the anniversary of this tragedy sparks more social studies teachers to make sore this is included. Tough wjen you've got people on the school board who want to ignore this part of our history.
Posted by: Diana
Date: May 19, 2021 07:04PM
Lemon Drop
Apparently OK is the only state that requires this event be taught, and that requirement is very recent.

[www.parents.com]

I hope the focus on the anniversary of this tragedy sparks more social studies teachers to make sore this is included. Tough wjen you've got people on the school board who want to ignore this part of our history.

It was not taught in the schools I went to in the Oklahoma City area in the late 70s.
Date: May 19, 2021 07:10PM
So how long before Jan 6, 2021 is conveniently forgotten? These kind of inconvenient stories just seem to get lost for time …
Date: May 19, 2021 07:17PM
Diana
Lemon Drop

[www.parents.com]

It was not taught in the schools I went to in the Oklahoma City area in the late 70s.

Amazing. In the state where it happened.
Date: May 19, 2021 07:19PM
sekker
So how long before Jan 6, 2021 is conveniently forgotten? These kind of inconvenient stories just seem to get lost for time …

Imagine the future college course "The Year 2020"
Posted by: Wags
Date: May 19, 2021 07:36PM
How about when the Philly cops dropped a couple bombs on the MOVE headquarters from a helicopter and subsequently burned down 65 houses? They don't like to talk about that one, either.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 19, 2021 08:02PM
I also was taught a rudimentary version of this:

“ Wilmington Insurrection of 1898 “

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

NOTE: Contains several instances of the “N” word!
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 19, 2021 08:34PM
was not even mentioned in the segregated Long Island of my childhood.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 19, 2021 08:44PM
Not that I remember.

But to be fair, I don’t think any of my many, many years of “social studies” ever got past World War 2. Beyond that was too controversial for my whitebread upbringing.

They left out soooo much that could have made a difference in life. But on the other hand, we did learn about the American Revolution for, like, 10 years in a row.
Posted by: samintx
Date: May 19, 2021 09:19PM
In a Kansas town of 300, blacks were never discussed. Learned about Tulsa in my 87th year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2021 09:21PM by samintx.
Date: May 19, 2021 09:33PM
Lemon Drop
sekker

Imagine the future college course "The Year 2020"

Will be considered too ridiculous a plot to be a political TV series, too.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 19, 2021 10:46PM
Lemon Drop

[19thnews.org]

Slavery is firmly at the root of all that we see concerning Black-White relations today, over 400 years later. It is THE institution in institutionalized racism… it's possible to undo the damage, but it will take reparations, time, and genuine will something that at least half of the USA still doesn't have…
Posted by: Z
Date: May 20, 2021 09:44AM
In school, no, but did pick up a copy of the People History of the US sometime in my HS senior year and I am pretty sure it gave an overview of it (plus a bunch of other less than stellar moments in the history of the US).
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 20, 2021 12:12PM
Z
In school, no, but did pick up a copy of the People History of the US sometime in my HS senior year and I am pretty sure it gave an overview of it (plus a bunch of other less than stellar moments in the history of the US).

Howard Zinn should be required reading in any American History course.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 20, 2021 12:20PM
RgrF
Z

Howard Zinn should be required reading in any American History course.

His historiography is problematic at times, but he was one of the first to successfully tell some of the history not included in standard texts.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 20, 2021 12:22PM
It would be interesting to see what the history books say about the first quarter of this century, 50 or 75 years from now. I won’t be around to see it, so some of you young’uns remember to look it up and see if it’s like you remember.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Spock
Date: May 20, 2021 06:22PM
I wish that someone would write a history of the US in the same vein as Sellar and Yeatmen's "1066 and All That: A memorable history of England".

I was getting bored sitting at home all day doing nothing; that's why I took up meditation.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 21, 2021 03:38PM
rgG
It would be interesting to see what the history books say about the first quarter of this century, 50 or 75 years from now. I won’t be around to see it, so some of you young’uns remember to look it up and see if it’s like you remember.

There won't be any books. Just historical footnotes that can be aggregated, filtered and fed through our personalized "feeds." There won't be "history," but "histories" that can potentially be gamed by bad characters and used as data points to fuel various narratives. We're more than halfway there now. Cat memes will survive intact.

It's not even cynical because this is very likely how it'll play out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2021 03:39PM by vision63.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 21, 2021 05:21PM
vision63
Cat memes will survive intact.

thank GAWD! You had me scared there for a moment...
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 22, 2021 11:32AM
vision63
Cat memes will survive intact.

So, you're saying that the key to preserving history accurately is somehow encoding it into cat memes?

Hmmmmm. Brilliant!

wink smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020