advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
After a 30 year ban, yoga is now LEGAL in Alabama schools (but saying Namaste is still banned)
Posted by: hal
Date: May 21, 2021 03:20PM
[www.npr.org]

Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has signed a bill to allow public schools to offer yoga, ending a ban that stood for nearly 30 years. Christian conservatives who back the ban said yoga would open the door for people to be converted to Hinduism.

The new law allows yoga to be offered as an elective for grades K-12. While it erases a ban that, over the years, some schools had not realized existed, it also imposes restrictions on how yoga should be taught. Students won't be allowed to say, "Namaste," for instance. Meditation is not allowed.

"Chanting, mantras, mudras, use of mandalas, induction of hypnotic states, guided imagery, and namaste greetings shall be expressly prohibited," the bill states. It also requires English names be used for all poses and exercises. And before any students try a tree pose, they'll need a parent's permission slip.

I remember having to get permission slips for various off campus field trips and once in 6th grade to allow me to take part in viewing the frightening concentration camp videos, but yoga??? Really?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: After a 30 year ban, yoga is now LEGAL in Alabama schools (but saying Namaste is still banned)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 21, 2021 03:28PM
I remember having to get permission slips for various off campus field trips and once in 6th grade to allow me to take part in viewing the frightening concentration camp videos, but yoga??? Really?

There's literally nothing they aren't afraid of.
Re: After a 30 year ban, yoga is now LEGAL in Alabama schools (but saying Namaste is still banned)
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 21, 2021 03:42PM
...and none a' thet gul durned meditation! We ain't raisin' no commies here.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 21, 2021 04:37PM
Next up: how to keep vulnerable children away from Lululemon pants.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 21, 2021 04:54PM

hot-looking instructors, though
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 21, 2021 07:16PM
I attend a conservative christian church and I have been doing yoga about once a week for years. I'm mostly interested in the stretching and strengthening aspects of it but I have nothing against the controlled breathing etc. I've also done guided meditation and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Still not interested in hinduism though.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 21, 2021 08:32PM
davemchine
Still not interested in hinduism though.

Give it time, you’ll weaken.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 24, 2021 03:43AM
Speedy
davemchine
Still not interested in hinduism though.

Give it time, you’ll weaken.

Yepper. That darned yog'er maydeetation is a gateway to unleashing evil Hindu demons.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: May 24, 2021 09:30AM
So, "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" was a documentary?

=TC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 381
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020