advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What happens when Hamas stops firing hundreds of rockets
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 24, 2021 02:12PM
See what happens today when Hamas stops firing rockets? You can enjoy a quiet cup of coffee or surfer with Fido, not having to worry about being struck by missiles or fear Israeli retaliation.

Gaza -Palestinians sit at a coffee shop terrace at the site of an Israeli airstrike

Tel Aviv -Israel A surfer plays with a dog before entering the Mediterranean Sea, days after a ceasefire was reached
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What happens when Hamas stops firing hundreds of rockets
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 24, 2021 03:01PM
But in Gaza, you can't. Because water has been cut, electric has been destroyed, hospitals destroyed, and doctors and nurses slaughtered.

219 dead in Gaza.
10 dead in Israel.

You'd think Hamas would get the idea that their war is a Pyrrhic one. But that's not the point, is it ? Hamas attacks, Palestinian civilians get slaughtered, the survivors suffer. And their hatred for Israel grows. And their support for Hamas continues.

You'd think that Israel would get the idea that their retaliations produce more opposition than less of it ? Naw.

It's taken generations on both sides to get this bad. It will take generations to get actual 'peace'. But the current leadership on BOTH sides won't buy into it, because they will lose power.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 24, 2021 03:13PM
<original post removed by request>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 06:37PM by btfc.
Posted by: August West
Date: May 24, 2021 03:48PM
jest smiley

Date: May 24, 2021 04:57PM
btfc
elmo-3, Blue Monk, and Steve G. discuss their posting strategy:

Personal insults?? Why do you think you can post that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 06:55PM by Steve G..
Date: May 24, 2021 04:59PM
quote=cbelt3
But in Gaza, you can't.
But that picture is from the Guardian, so it must be true. Have some coffee.

Because water has been cut, electric has been destroyed, hospitals destroyed, and doctors and nurses slaughtered.
Perhaps you should drop a note to Hamas not to place their missile launchers, operations centers and tunnels next to and under civilian areas, schools and hospitals.
The Hamas rockets that fell on three of the main electrical line inside Gaza helped with the electricity outage.

219 dead in Gaza.
10 dead in Israel.

How many of them were Hamas 'warriors'? Hamas won't tell you it's most of them. (Well, have you see ANY figures about Hamas casualties...there were plenty of them because the Israelis aimed at them, NOT CIVILANS)
The Israelis protect their citizens. Hamas doesn't give a damn about their Gazan human shields.

You'd think that Israel would get the idea that their retaliations produce more opposition than less of it ? Naw.
You'd think that after someone launches 4500 missiles at you, it's okay to retaliate. YEAH.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 05:16PM by Steve G..
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 24, 2021 05:04PM
More like an editorial cartoon than a personal affront.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 24, 2021 05:11PM
Steve G.'s not at troll. He's just really, really, REALLY, REALLY into this issue.

Over 29,000 posts on many topics (and he didn't suddenly reappear on this forum after a 15 year absence).
Date: May 24, 2021 05:14PM
RgrF
More like an editorial cartoon than a personal affront.

More like:
1) grouping me in with a bunch of people intent on doing harm to this forum.

2) depicting me as a sub-human

3) please avoid insults like this, okay?
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 24, 2021 05:19PM
I think it's a fair question as to whether those Gaza rockets are potentially damaging or even lethal, or just the equivalent of a bigger version of 4th of July fireworks. If in fact the rockets are potentially lethal, then the logic of a strong Israeli response is pretty clear. In the moment of being shot at, it's less appropriate to make careful long-term calculations on "hearts and minds," and more immediately appropriate to force the opposition to stop shooting at you.

There is one more point, I think. It seems to me that it is a bit condescending to suggest that the Gaza inhabitants can't figure out that when the rockets are fired at Israel, that Israel shoots back. The current situation is kind of like a long-running fight in a bar, or whatever the local equivalent might be.
Date: May 24, 2021 05:23PM
Ca Bob
If in fact the rockets are potentially lethal, then the logic of a strong Israeli response is pretty clear.

They are very deadly, witness the damage of those few that got through the Iron Dome shield.
Date: May 24, 2021 06:43PM
[www.merriam-webster.com]

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.

And playing the victim card is so predictable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 10:18PM by btfc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 24, 2021 07:54PM
Steve G.
Ca Bob
If in fact the rockets are potentially lethal, then the logic of a strong Israeli response is pretty clear.

They are very deadly, witness the damage of those few that got through the Iron Dome shield.

Yeah, they are potentially lethal.

Takes dozens or hundreds and lots of dumb luck, but if one lands in the right place and manages to explode, it can do serious harm.

I think you knew that.

The logic of the response is clear. It's just not sound.

Date: May 24, 2021 08:02PM
funny, they knew enough to get it to Ashkelon Ashdod, Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and other cities, not merely 2 miles away like Sderot.
Date: May 24, 2021 08:09PM
Steve G.
funny, they knew enough to get it to Ashkelon Ashdod, Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and other cities, not merely 2 miles away like Sderot.

And how many rockets did they fire?

I seem to recall someone mentioning that number. Perhaps you can find the post.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 24, 2021 08:11PM
The possible responses Israel could have in response to the rockets fired from Gaza range from doing nothing to genocide of everyone living in Gaza. Of course the Israelis would not choose genocide because that would be a hugely disproportionate response. But like all countries given a similar threat, they are also not going to do nothing. They have to choose responses somewhere in the continuum between the extremes of doing nothing and genocide. The question is, what kinds of responses fall too far into the disproportionate range. I think that is the heart of the disagreements about this in threads in this forum.

I doubt there are any participants in the forum that think Israel should not respond at all to the rocket attacks out of Gaza, but what I see is much disagreement about when a response becomes too disproportionate. That is an extremely difficult line to draw so I'm not surprised there is disagreement on it. Value assessments litter the field of considerations and people's value assessments vary quite a lot.

e pluribus unum
Date: May 24, 2021 08:25PM
Ted King
The possible responses Israel could have in response to the rockets fired from Gaza range from doing nothing to genocide of everyone living in Gaza. Of course the Israelis would not choose genocide because that would be a hugely disproportionate response. But like all countries given a similar threat, they are also not going to do nothing...

I think there's also the larger picture of the land-grab and the lack of civil liberties and the lack of basic services in the occupied territory (in defiance of International law).

The law allows Jewish settlers to take Palestinian land basically at-will, but Muslims with similar land-claims have no rights to pursue a legal challenge. And the settlers are funded by well-healed religious nutters in the United States who think they're bringing on the end-of-days, and by ultra-right-wing organizations that genuinely seek genocide.

It's time to post this again:

...It has been pointed out that the Brits were in control of the territory in 1946 and there was no official Palestinian state. So, try to ignore the first panel.

The rest is accurate.

The population isn't allowed free trade, so the people often go hungry. Water and sewage and power are controlled by an occupying nation that doesn't want to build or support infrastructure for Muslims. They aren't allowed proper schools. They aren't allowed free-travel even within their own territory. They aren't allowed to own or operate their own factories. They don't have proper health care. And their homes are being taken away without even a pretense of due process.

I'm not in any way suggesting that it's appropriate to send rockets into Israel.

I'm saying that it's understandable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 08:33PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 24, 2021 08:33PM
Sarcany
Ted King
The possible responses Israel could have in response to the rockets fired from Gaza range from doing nothing to genocide of everyone living in Gaza. Of course the Israelis would not choose genocide because that would be a hugely disproportionate response. But like all countries given a similar threat, they are also not going to do nothing...

I think there's also the larger picture of the land-grab and the lack of civil liberties and the lack of basic services in the occupied territory (in defiance of International law).

The law allows Jewish settlers to take Palestinian land basically at-will, but Muslims with similar land-claims have no rights to pursue a legal challenge. And the settlers are funded by well-healed religious nutters in the United States who think they're bringing on the end-of-days, and by ultra-right-wing organizations that genuinely seek genocide.

It's time to post this again:

...It has been pointed out that the Brits were in control of the territory in 1946 and there was no official Palestinian state. So, try to ignore the first panel.

The rest is accurate.

Yeah, my post was focused on the issue of the rocket attacks out of Gaza, but it is impossible to cleanly separate that issue from the nexus of issues of conflict between the Israelis and Palestinians. That makes judgements about what to do with respect to any particular aspect of this nexus of conflict much more difficult than the extreme difficulty they would present in isolation if they could even hypothetically be isolated.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 24, 2021 08:54PM
So where are those rockets made and how do they get into Gaza, or wherever it is they are firing from? Is there a strategy that prevents Hamas from getting that many rockets? Doesn't solve the other issues discussed here, but might reduce the provocation that makes things worse?

Glad to see this discussion take a civil tone!
Date: May 24, 2021 08:59PM
Don C
So where are those rockets made and how do they get into Gaza, or wherever it is they are firing from? Is there a strategy that prevents Hamas from getting that many rockets? Doesn't solve the other issues discussed here, but might reduce the provocation that makes things worse?

[en.wikipedia.org]

The utility of the Qassam rocket design is assumed to be ease and speed of manufacture, using common tools and components. To this end, the rockets are propelled by a solid mixture of sugar and potassium nitrate, a common fertilizer. The warhead is filled with smuggled or scavenged TNT and urea nitrate, another common fertilizer. The warhead's explosive material is similar to the civilian explosive ammonite.

The rocket consists of a steel cylinder, containing a rectangular block of the propellant. A steel plate which forms and supports the nozzles is then spot-welded to the base of the cylinder. The warhead consists of a simple metal shell surrounding the explosives, and is triggered by a fuse constructed using a simple firearm cartridge, spring and a nail...

Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 25, 2021 09:43AM
Sarcany,

You can't have peace when one side is shooting rockets at the other side. You can't have peace when one of the goals of the people in control of one side is the destruction of the other side. If peace is the goal - and it ought it be - shooting rockets into Israel is neither appropriate nor understandable.

Robert

"I'm not in any way suggesting that it's appropriate to send rockets into Israel.

I'm saying that it's understandable."
Date: May 25, 2021 10:09AM
Robert M
You can't have peace when one side is shooting rockets at the other side. You can't have peace when one of the goals of the people in control of one side is the destruction of the other side. If peace is the goal - and it ought it be - shooting rockets into Israel is neither appropriate nor understandable.

What's your solution to Israel's oppression of the populace?

Date: May 25, 2021 10:17AM
Sarcany,

No comment other than that your perspective that sending rockets into Israel is understandable doesn't work for me. Violence begets violence. Want peace? Take violence out of the picture. Take the goal of destroying a country out of the picture. I can't think of any solution that will work until both violence and the goal of the destruction of Israel (by Hamas or anyone else for that matter) are removed from the equation.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2021 11:59AM by Robert M.
Date: May 25, 2021 02:15PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

No comment other than that your perspective that sending rockets into Israel is understandable doesn't work for me. Violence begets violence. Want peace? Take violence out of the picture...

Conveniently ignoring that this latest conflict escalated immediately following more land-grabs and violent assaults on holy-places mid-worship.

It takes two sides to call a truce.

Date: May 25, 2021 04:11PM
Sarcany,

Not at all. Just not getting suckered into the discussion about anything other than your assertion that shooting rockets into Israel is understandable. I offered my answer to that particular statement and you've offered nothing that negates my response. It isn't understandable at all.

Robert
Date: May 25, 2021 04:40PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

Not at all. Just not getting suckered into the discussion about anything other than your assertion that shooting rockets into Israel is understandable. I offered my answer to that particular statement and you've offered nothing that negates my response. It isn't understandable at all.

I think this attitude is a reflection of privilege. However imperfect, we have civil liberties in this country.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 25, 2021 04:49PM

219 dead in Gaza.
10 dead in Israel.

In the 12 days that preceded Thursday’s announcement of a cease-fire, the Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad launched 4,369 rockets of various sizes and ranges from Gaza toward Israel. According to Israel’s military, nearly two-thirds of these missed their target, hitting fields and other open areas, or malfunctioning and falling short. That still leaves about 1,500 rockets that headed for built-up areas. Remarkably, this barrage resulted in only a dozen deaths: More than 90 percent of the rockets were intercepted by Israel’s missile-defense system, Iron Dome.

Iron Dome is incredibly popular among Israelis, and understandably so. Although Israel suffered a dozen fatalities during this month’s fighting, more than 240 Palestinians died. That discrepancy, largely due to the effectiveness of Iron Dome, also bears itself out in physical damage to homes, buildings, and infrastructure more broadly. Even during an intense conflict such as this one, the missile-defense system provides a sense of security.

Yet behind this technological marvel is creaking national infrastructure and failing social services, for both Jewish and Arab citizens. That’s why, when the few rockets from Gaza did get through the Iron Dome shield this month, those who were killed were in nearly all cases old, disabled, poor, homeless, or residents of Arab villages without government services and therefore no bomb shelter. And while Israel’s air force simultaneously operated Iron Dome and kept up a steady rate of air strikes in Gaza throughout the recent campaign, within Israel’s cities there were insufficient police to deal with the riots that broke out between Arabs and Jews. Here we see another structural flaw in the Israeli state that Netanyahu has neglected.
[www.theatlantic.com]

Date: May 25, 2021 10:09PM
Harmless fireworks?
Just stand right there while we turn off the Iron Dome counter-missiles.

Date: May 26, 2021 05:37AM
Sarcany,

Nice assumption. The attitude is reflective of seeing what happens when violence and the intent to destroy another country take precedence over peace. Privilege never crossed my mind.

Robert
Date: May 26, 2021 05:50AM
Robert M
The attitude is reflective of seeing what happens when violence and the intent to destroy another country take precedence over peace. Privilege never crossed my mind.

Pretending that this is the whole of the story is the height of privilege. The statement appears quite racially charged, and that kind of expression is also privilege.

That privilege never crossed your mind is entirely irrelevant to your exercise of privilege.

Date: May 26, 2021 07:36AM
Sarcany
...The statement appears quite racially charged.

I think that term has been so offhandedly used - and abused - that it has become meaningless; and perhaps rightly so.

"Since the second half of the 20th century, the association of race with the discredited theories of scientific racism has contributed to race becoming increasingly seen as a largely pseudoscientific system of classification. Although still used in general contexts, race has often been replaced by less ambiguous and loaded terms: populations, people(s), ethnic groups, or communities, depending on context."
Date: May 26, 2021 08:37AM
Sarcany,

I'm not a fan of _anyone_ who shoots rockets indiscriminately at another country nor am I a fan of an organization which lists the destruction of another country as one of its goals. It seems you and I have _very_ different perspectives about what justifies the shooting of the rockets and the goal of destroying a country. If you call my perspective privilege, so be it. You're entitled to your opinion.

Robert
Date: May 26, 2021 09:24AM
DeusxMac
Sarcany

I think that term has been so offhandedly used - and abused - that it has become meaningless; and perhaps rightly so.

"Since the second half of the 20th century, the association of race with the discredited theories of scientific racism has contributed to race becoming increasingly seen as a largely pseudoscientific system of classification. Although still used in general contexts, race has often been replaced by less ambiguous and loaded terms: populations, people(s), ethnic groups, or communities, depending on context."

You seem to be saying that racism doesn't exist because race is a social construct.

Care to elaborate?

Date: May 26, 2021 09:39AM
Sarcany
DeusxMac
Sarcany

You seem to be saying that racism doesn't exist because race is a social construct.

Care to elaborate?

What “races” are involved in this conflict? Can you elaborate?

- Are Palestinians a different “race” than Israelis?
- Are Muslims a different “race” than Jews?
- Are Arabic speakers a different “race” than Hebrew speakers?
- Is “race” determined by economic status, or educational level?
- Is “race” determined by where someone was born, or where they live?
Date: May 26, 2021 10:06AM
DeusxMac
Sarcany
DeusxMac
Sarcany

Care to elaborate?

I was referring to the racism inherent in the assumptions in Robert's post.

Date: May 26, 2021 10:24AM
Sarcany
DeusxMac

Could you please show exactly what you’re referring to as “the racism inherent in” Robert’s post; his statement(s) that you’re basing your contention on.
Date: May 26, 2021 10:31AM
Deus,

I'd like to see it as well since race isn't a factor at all. Never has been. Never will be. Maybe Sarcany considers saying "shooting thousands of rockets into a country and having the destruction of a country as a goal is an obstacle to peace" is racist? I hope not!

Robert

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 11:38AM by Robert M.
Date: May 26, 2021 04:04PM
DeusxMac
Sarcany
DeusxMac

Could you please show exactly what you’re referring to as “the racism inherent in” Robert’s post; his statement(s) that you’re basing your contention on.

He's faulting one-side entirely and dismissing the entire populace as the only ones initiating violence, conflating the entire Muslim population of the Palestinian territories with terrorists.

Date: May 26, 2021 04:29PM
Sarcany,

Where at all does race play a role in this? Muslim is not a race. Jewish is not a race. Israeli is not a race. Race isn't a factor at all. We are all one race. We're humans. Where people differ is ideology. I've followed the conflicts for a long time. I'm not a fan of the violence and especially not a fan of indiscriminate use of it. Unfortunately, due to ideology, I don't see peace ever coming to that area of the world, at least not in my lifetime. It's disheartening.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 04:44PM by Robert M.
Date: May 26, 2021 04:49PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

Where at all does race play a role in this? Muslim is not a race. Jewish is not a race. Israeli is not a race. Race isn't a factor at all.

Racism encompasses false-beliefs on the basis of faith and culture.

And white privilege is getting to say "race isn't a factor at all" unironically.

Date: May 26, 2021 04:52PM
Sarcany
He's faulting one-side entirely and dismissing the entire populace as the only ones initiating violence, conflating the entire Muslim Protestant population of the Palestinian territories Northern Ireland with terrorists.

Would this also be "racially charged"?
Date: May 26, 2021 06:09PM
DeusxMac
Sarcany
He's faulting one-side entirely and dismissing the entire populace as the only ones initiating violence, conflating the entire Muslim Protestant population of the Palestinian territories Northern Ireland with terrorists.

You tell me.

...What if they were Jewish?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Antisemitism (also spelled anti-semitism or anti-Semitism) is hostility to, prejudice, or discrimination against Jews.[1][2][3] A person who holds such positions is called an antisemite. Antisemitism is generally considered to be a form of racism.

Date: May 26, 2021 06:17PM
But, interestingly:

“ Semite, member of a people speaking any of a group of related languages presumably derived from a common language, Semitic (see Semitic languages). The term came to include Arabs, Akkadians, Canaanites, Hebrews, some Ethiopians, and Aramaean tribes. “

[www.britannica.com]
Date: May 26, 2021 06:28PM
btfc
But, interestingly:

“ Semite, member of a people speaking any of a group of related languages presumably derived from a common language, Semitic (see Semitic languages). The term came to include Arabs, Akkadians, Canaanites, Hebrews, some Ethiopians, and Aramaean tribes. “

[www.britannica.com]

Yeah, and the Åryans came from South Asia (India) and Iran, commonly calling themselves "Persian" when encountering Europeans.

Language evolves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 06:29PM by Sarcany.
Date: May 26, 2021 06:34PM
Sarcany,

You’re the one bringing race into this. Nobody else mentioned it. The again, you also considered shooting thousands of rockets into Israel understandable. Very interesting and troubling.

Robert
Date: May 26, 2021 06:40PM
It is a cycle of violence; it is driven by extremists on both sides. Condemning the actions of one side without considering the actions of the other is foolish and intellectually dishonest.
Date: May 26, 2021 06:40PM
Robert M
Sarcany,

You’re the one bringing race into this. Nobody else mentioned it. The again, you also considered shooting thousands of rockets into Israel understandable. Very interesting and troubling.

I think it's understandable when BLM protesters throw rocks at cops and when cops retaliate with guns, too.

It's called empathy, dude.

'Doesn't mean I favor either option.

Date: May 26, 2021 06:42PM
Sarcany
DeusxMac
Sarcany

You tell me.

So you cannot answer, or you will not answer the question?
Date: May 26, 2021 06:46PM
“ Language evolves. “

Yet the definition of ‘Semite’ is unchanged.

Look it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 06:47PM by btfc.
Date: May 26, 2021 06:54PM
DeusxMac
Sarcany
DeusxMac
Sarcany

You tell me.

So you cannot answer, or you will not answer the question?

You're funny!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 398
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020