advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
How Jewish parents used Guardian ads to save their children’s lives
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 25, 2021 01:41PM
[www.theguardian.com]

On Wednesday 3 August 1938, a short advertisement appeared on the second page of the Manchester Guardian, under the title “Tuition”.

“I seek a kind person who will educate my intelligent Boy, aged 11, Viennese of good family,” the advert said, under the name Borger, giving the address of an apartment on Hintzerstrasse, in Vienna’s third district.

The small ad cost a shilling a line; the 11-year-old boy was Julian Borger’s father, Robert. It turned out to be the key to their survival and the reason, nearly 83 years later, Julian is working at the newspaper that ran the ad, he tells Anushka Asthana.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How Jewish parents used Guardian ads to save their children’s lives
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 25, 2021 02:08PM
they had to pay for it. From what I can gather, The Guardian did not take up the appeal by themselves. They chose to ignore the children who were soon to be headed for the extermination camps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2021 02:08PM by Steve G..
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 25, 2021 05:23PM
Steve G.
they had to pay for it. From what I can gather, The Guardian did not take up the appeal by themselves. They chose to ignore the children who were soon to be headed for the extermination camps.

The title of the thread and the statement in the article are not implying some sort of massive moral high-ground by the newspaper.

I read it as celebrating the innovation of parents - so sad that they had to deal with this at all of course.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 25, 2021 06:38PM
You may want to read the article written by Julian Borger himself about his father's story:

[www.theguardian.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 25, 2021 07:52PM
Janit
You may want to read the article written by Julian Borger himself about his father's story:

[www.theguardian.com]

Remarkable piece of history, thank you.
Date: May 25, 2021 09:12PM
Really? Where's the Guardian's 1938 front page appeal for all good Brits to provide refuge for the Jewish kids? I must have missed that part.
Date: May 25, 2021 09:53PM
RgrF
Janit

[www.theguardian.com]

Remarkable piece of history, thank you.

There were many stories like this. There should have been many many many many more.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 25, 2021 09:57PM
Steve G.
Really? Where's the Guardian's 1938 front page appeal for all good Brits to provide refuge for the Jewish kids? I must have missed that part.

If you look close...

Date: May 25, 2021 10:07PM
I see tiny paid ads.
Date: May 26, 2021 09:33AM
Steve G.
I see tiny paid ads.

From Julian Borger's article cited above [www.theguardian.com]:

Similar appeals were placed in the Times and the Telegraph, but the Manchester Guardian was seen as more sympathetic by those seeking to flee. The city was home to the biggest UK Jewish community outside London; it had ties to Vienna through the textile trade, as well as an energetic Quaker community that set up a refugee committee after Kristallnacht, which helped resettle large numbers of central European Jews.

The Guardian also focused more than the rest of the British press on the plight of Jews under Nazi rule and the hardships of those in the UK. It ran an anonymous column about a Jewish maid in a British home, by a writer identified only as “J”, giving the view from below stairs.

“The Manchester Guardian had a justified reputation for being supportive of the Jewish plight and especially being pro-refugee, so it would be a natural place to advertise in, especially if there were commercial agencies and also refugee organisations at either end,” says Tony Kushner, a University of Southampton professor and the author of Journeys from the Abyss, a book about the Holocaust and forced migration.

If you want to call out the Guardian for still not doing enough, that's fine, but the context would be helpful for a more comprehensive understanding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 453
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020