advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Republicans: Electric vehicle don't need charging stations
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 27, 2021 03:38PM
Gasoline stations are good enough for my Ford truck!

The Republican infrastructure proposal leaves out these Biden recommendations.

As part of his original plan, the president 1)vowed to install at least half a million electric charging stations across the U.S. by 2030. 2)He also proposed boosting domestic supply of EV materials and 3)providing tax incentives for EV buyers as well as 4)grant and incentive programs for charging infrastructure.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Republicans: Electric vehicle don't need charging stations
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 27, 2021 04:35PM
Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 27, 2021 04:56PM
My buggy whip still works perfectly.
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 27, 2021 05:01PM
The Republican solution?

British retiree builds coal-fired steam powered Land Rover - YouTube

Northern California Coast
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 27, 2021 05:21PM
I actually agree with this. I don't see why the government needs to install EV charging stations, they don't build gas stations. This is something private business can take care of.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 27, 2021 05:29PM
C(-)ris
I actually agree with this. I don't see why the government needs to install EV charging stations, they don't build gas stations. This is something private business can take care of.

The US government has a rich history of supporting the development and use of different energy sources and transportation over the years. Remember railroads? The government GAVE the land away etc.

I think it's fine to consider support of key infrastructure - honestly, I do not want there to be 3 DIFFERENT kinds of charging networks. The government can mandate one format for ALL cars.

[cen.acs.org]
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 27, 2021 05:31PM
Hopefully it’s because they believe it’s in our strategic/national interest in hastening our transition to electric vehicles.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 27, 2021 05:40PM
C(-)ris

Have you ever driven on an Interstate?

“The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act (Public Law 84-627), was enacted on June 29, 1956, when President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law. With an original authorization of $25 billion for the construction of 41,000 miles (66,000 km) of the Interstate Highway System supposedly over a 10-year period, it was the largest public works project in American history through that time.”
Date: May 27, 2021 06:05PM
DeusxMac
C(-)ris

“The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956, popularly known as the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act (Public Law 84-627), was enacted on June 29, 1956, when President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill into law. With an original authorization of $25 billion for the construction of 41,000 miles (66,000 km) of the Interstate Highway System supposedly over a 10-year period, it was the largest public works project in American history through that time.”

What do roads have to do with energy sources such as electricity or gas? No gas stations anywhere except possibly on military bases and government property are owned or built by the government. They don't own pipelines, distribution networks, power grids etc. That is all privately funded infrastructure.

Again, I support a standard for coming out, but the government can't force anyone to actually follow the standard. The free market will take care of it. There isn't a government mandated standard gas station nozzle, everyone just accepted one specification eventually because it made it easier for everyone. (except for in California facepalm)

C(-)ris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 06:09PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 27, 2021 06:16PM
Oil companies get a huge amount of federal subsidies (mostly in the form of tax breaks). I don't have a problem doing the same for companies that might build national networks of charging stations. One issue that I still have not seen as properly addressed is funding for roads on a state and local level like gas/diesel retail taxes.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 27, 2021 06:23PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Oil companies get a huge amount of federal subsidies (mostly in the form of tax breaks). I don't have a problem doing the same for companies that might build national networks of charging stations. One issue that I still have not seen as properly addressed is funding for roads on a state and local level like gas/diesel retail taxes.

Electricity producing companies get subsidies as well. Gas station owners do not. EV charging stations are the equivalent of a gas station. Honestly, I expect gas stations to start installing more and more charging stations as the number of EVs increases. I bet it is cheaper to install a charging station than to replace an underground gas tank.

Here in WI we charge an EV tax based on an average miles driven by the average person and how much they would contribute via gas taxes and levy that amount on all EV yearly tab renewals.

C(-)ris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 06:27PM by C(-)ris.
Date: May 27, 2021 06:43PM
Clock is ticking on climate change, but yeah, let's just let fossil fuel phase itself out gracefully.
Date: May 27, 2021 07:05PM
C(-)ris
What do roads have to do with energy sources such as electricity or gas?

1. We are discussing vehicles; vehicles which are powered by gasoline or electricity; vehicles which need those roads to operate on.
2. The Interstate system was funded and built for the benefit of the entire country, as is this electrification program.

C(-)ris
The free market will take care of it.

Where have we heard that panacea touted before?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 27, 2021 07:09PM
C(-)ris

apparently the fossil fuel industry is well subsidized.

US fossil fuel production is subsidized to the tune of $20 billion annually

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 27, 2021 07:29PM
graylocks
C(-)ris

apparently the fossil fuel industry is well subsidized.

US fossil fuel production is subsidized to the tune of $20 billion annually

Pretty sure we are talking about charging stations here, not the vehicles. It is in the thread title. I think we are confusing or combining 3 completely separate parts of the entire process.

The charging stations themselves are the equivalent of a gas station which would not get subsidized.

The power distribution network regionally is the same thing as oil pipelines both of which are already subsidized and the local portion is semi delivery trucks and power lines and transformers to the business(not subsidized).

Fuel production(Refineries)(subsidized) is the same as a power plant.

EV Fuel production already exists(power plants), The power distribution network also already exists (electrical lines are everywhere).

The only piece missing is the last mile which is getting high voltage from the pole to the ground and installing transformers. Then you need to install the charging stations. That is the equivalent of the fuel delivery semis and the fuel pumps themselves. Neither of which are currently subsidized and shouldn't be for EVs either.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 07:30PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 27, 2021 07:37PM
Randomly placed EV charging stations, with little or no oversight, will go downhill quickly. Anyone who's used to depending on chargers other than the Tesla network (which can have its own problems) knows this. The charging stations need to be part of a larger program that restructures the oil infrastructure.

Because Dino-fueling stations won't likely go away anytime soon, they could be a site for partnerships between oil companies who own the properties and investors who will eventually manage the EV network. They will likely need a spark that federal dollars can provide them. Whether it's in subsidies or tax credits, big business will get serious when they see something in it for them.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 27, 2021 07:45PM
C(-)ris
I bet it is cheaper to install a charging station than to replace an underground gas tank.

Maybe. A new transformer (could need to be underground), replacing the main service wiring, routing new underground conduit and cables. EV's will take 4x to 20x as long so they can't be in a gas/diesel lane which will require marking off new dedicated parking. If they install more than a couple of Level 3 DC fast charging spots, the electric utility might need to upgrade the distribution wiring (pretty much a given in remote highway areas). That could mean a very long wait.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 27, 2021 08:53PM
C(-)ris
Here in WI we charge an EV tax based on an average miles driven by the average person and how much they would contribute via gas taxes and levy that amount on all EV yearly tab renewals.

I can't find evidence of any such calculation.

also, it was a good way to stick it to annoying libs driving annoying priuses.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 27, 2021 10:00PM
C(-)ris
The charging stations themselves are the equivalent of a gas station

Except they're not.

C(-)ris
The power distribution network regionally is the same thing as oil pipelines

Except they're not.

There is really quite a big difference between a gas station and a charging station. For one thing, everyone has a charging station at home and almost no one has a gas station at home (aside from a few farmers). Also, have you seen any charging stations? They can stand alone without all the rigamarole of a gas station. My local library has a charging station in the parking lot.

Power distribution systems are nothing like gas and oil distribution systems.

Date: May 28, 2021 07:52AM
C(-)ris
DeusxMac
C(-)ris

What do roads have to do with energy sources such as electricity or gas? No gas stations anywhere except possibly on military bases and government property are owned or built by the government. They don't own pipelines, distribution networks, power grids etc. That is all privately funded infrastructure.

Again, I support a standard for coming out, but the government can't force anyone to actually follow the standard. The free market will take care of it. There isn't a government mandated standard gas station nozzle, everyone just accepted one specification eventually because it made it easier for everyone. (except for in California facepalm)

Actually, the government already did fund rural electrification in the ‘30’s and they still subsidize rural systems because of the expense of supplying adequate power to farms because they are distant from each other.

Also, not to nitpick, the size of gas nozzles was mandated by the government when the switch was made from leaded to unleaded gasoline (so that you couldn’t fuel your unleaded car with leaded gas and ruin your pollution control system.)

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 28, 2021 07:57AM
I do like how gas stations are mysteriously not subsidized despite being aligned with the entire oil industry. I’m sure the subsidies Shell and BP and Exxon enjoy never ever make it down to the gas stations that coincidentally have their NAME on them. Nope, no chance.

When charging stations appear under names that look similar to your monthly electric bill I’m sure that too will be “the free market” at work.
Date: May 28, 2021 08:32AM
The link I posted has nearly two centuries-worth of government subsidies for different forms of transportation infrastructure. The entire purpose and role of the government was to step in where the market was not working, or to accelerate a change due to a time-sensitive question (i.e. wars, or in our case climate change).

Current charging networks are terrible in the US. As a Tesla owner, it's remarkable to me how few non-Tesla stations are functional to me and can charge my car in under an hour, while a Tesla stop is typically only 15 min.

Once there are enough EVs on the road, each 15 min stopover location will be prime spots for new convenient stores, etc.

The government just needs to get us through to that point.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 28, 2021 09:04AM

[beamforall.com]
Date: May 28, 2021 09:57AM
btfc

[beamforall.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: kj
Date: May 28, 2021 10:04AM
mattkime
C(-)ris

I can't find evidence of any such calculation.

also, it was a good way to stick it to annoying libs driving annoying priuses.

I paid extra when I registered my electric vehicle. I don't know how they arrived at the charge, but it doesn't bother me to pay for the roads I drive on. I don't feel like I have the right to be subsidized.

I noticed at some point that the power company here offers subsidies for people installing charging stations. I don't know whether other states' power companies do so, but I would think so.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 28, 2021 10:39AM
kj
I paid extra when I registered my electric vehicle. I don't know how they arrived at the charge, but it doesn't bother me to pay for the roads I drive on. I don't feel like I have the right to be subsidized.

Its a little less fair when you drive a hybrid that gets ~30mpg.
Date: May 28, 2021 10:47AM
The hybrid does not weigh any less than a gasoline-only car, and it's the weight that wears out the roads.

Of course, pound for pound, passenger cars pay much more tax than the trucks, but hey, capitalism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2021 10:47AM by Acer.
Date: May 28, 2021 10:57AM
Acer
The hybrid does not weigh any less than a gasoline-only car, and it's the weight that wears out the roads.

Of course, pound for pound, passenger cars pay much more tax than the trucks, but hey, capitalism.

in GA they really pulled the EV fee out of their butts though. It is significantly higher than the average gas driver pays in gasoline taxes allotted for roads. i guess they figure if you can afford an EV you can afford to pay more. that’s the part that’s not fair. fortunately for me Volt owners do not have to pay that unless they want the plate that allows them to use the HOV lanes with only one person in the car.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 28, 2021 11:04AM
graylocks
Acer

in GA they really pulled the EV fee out of their butts though. It is significantly higher than the average gas driver pays in gasoline taxes allotted for roads. i guess they figure if you can afford an EV you can afford to pay more. that’s the part that’s not fair. fortunately for me Volt owners do not have to pay that unless they want the plate that allows them to use the HOV lanes with only one person in the car.

Never miss an opportunity to stick it to the libs.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 28, 2021 11:13AM

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2021 11:23AM by Ted King.
Date: May 28, 2021 01:29PM
graylocks
Acer

Always it’s creative reasoning. Remember when the 20-yr toll on GA400 got extended another 10 years by Sonny Purdue, he of the taxes-R-bad political party, to find additional roadwork? Apparently roads cost money, and they’ll get it anyway they can if they want badly enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2021 01:30PM by deckeda.
Date: May 29, 2021 12:03AM
deckeda
graylocks
Acer

Always it’s creative reasoning. Remember when the 20-yr toll on GA400 got extended another 10 years by Sonny Purdue, he of the taxes-R-bad political party, to find additional roadwork? Apparently roads cost money, and they’ll get it anyway they can if they want badly enough.

Taxes - bad, user fees - good.

We don’t pay the extra $75 annual road tax for EVs on our plug-in hybrids in Minnesota even though we drive our local roads most everyday. We pay only the road tax at the pump and I imagine I will fill my nine gallon tank a few times a year while my wife will (be forced by Chevy to) do so only once annually with her car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 12:04AM by Speedy.
Date: May 29, 2021 07:06AM
A user fee is a tax, meant to be targeted i.e. fair. They’ll only work to an extent. We don’t makes just parents of school kids pay a user fee. Same with fighting fires. You tax evenly so that society as a whole doesn’t need to be needlessly segregated and everyone can benefit without artificial hoops to jump thru.

They built the tolls on GA400 as a test of the system. So for 30 yrs users got to “test” it by dealing with either slowing down to toss 2 quarters in the bin, or dealing with the plastic box sensors velcroed to the windshield, or when those fell off or wound up in the wrong car too many times GA said, forget it, we’ll just use a picture of your license plate as you go through, analyze that and if it matches our file it’s all good. The question is, if tolls are good why not simply use them everywhere? User fees do not scale.
Date: May 29, 2021 08:25AM
In the democratic state of IL, the only way roads are made now is via tollways. It’s absurd that government cannot function to get basic infrastructure built. Stupid is on both parties when it comes to these issues.
Date: May 29, 2021 10:25AM
deckeda
A user fee is a tax, meant to be targeted i.e. fair. They’ll only work to an extent. We don’t makes just parents of school kids pay a user fee. Same with fighting fires. You tax evenly so that society as a whole doesn’t need to be needlessly segregated and everyone can benefit without artificial hoops to jump thru.

They built the tolls on GA400 as a test of the system. So for 30 yrs users got to “test” it by dealing with either slowing down to toss 2 quarters in the bin, or dealing with the plastic box sensors velcroed to the windshield, or when those fell off or wound up in the wrong car too many times GA said, forget it, we’ll just use a picture of your license plate as you go through, analyze that and if it matches our file it’s all good. The question is, if tolls are good why not simply use them everywhere? User fees do not scale.

Those little plastic boxes, EZ pass version that PA has had for 15 years at least, work fine. I've never had a misread except when I was trying to use it temporarily in another car (which is legit as long as you register the plate on the EZ pass website) and forgot to hold it up to the windshield at the right time. The velcro has really sticky backing that has been in place a decade on my cars. Toll by plate here in PA is convenient, but expensive. They charge full toll plus a convenience fee. The EZ pass rates have a significant discount...like 20% or something. PA went to full EZ-Pass or Toll by Plate and closed every toll booth in the first weeks of COVID. They had been planning to phase it in over several years, but, turns out that was just for the optics. It was a fully operational Death Star.

Toll By Plate or EZ-Pass...it's actually a little scary how good it works. It will make toll roads that much more common.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 10:26AM by Acer.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 30, 2021 07:22AM
AllGold
C(-)ris
The charging stations themselves are the equivalent of a gas station

Except they're not.

C(-)ris
The power distribution network regionally is the same thing as oil pipelines

Except they're not.

There is really quite a big difference between a gas station and a charging station. For one thing, everyone has a charging station at home and almost no one has a gas station at home (aside from a few farmers). Also, have you seen any charging stations? They can stand alone without all the rigamarole of a gas station. My local library has a charging station in the parking lot.

Power distribution systems are nothing like gas and oil distribution systems.

Is that library charger a Level 2 or Level 3?

Level 3 chargers do require a lot of rigamarole & are not possible to replicate at home.

If I want even a Level 2 charger at home it would require a panel upgrade (100A to 200A) plus running a new 240VAC circuit (can't be shared with a dryer/range/etc.)
Date: May 30, 2021 07:33AM
Bill in NC
If I want even a Level 2 charger at home it would require a panel upgrade (100A to 200A) plus running a new 240VAC circuit (can't be shared with a dryer/range/etc.)

If I want indoor plumbing in my house, even just one seat, that would require running a fresh water line plus an even larger sewer line, not to mention the throne itself and the brush to clean it and... devil smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 30, 2021 02:11PM
DeusxMac
If I want indoor plumbing in my house, even just one seat, that would require running a fresh water line plus an even larger sewer line, not to mention the throne itself and the brush to clean it and... devil smiley

Not necessarily.. there are options.

A composting toilet just needs a vent line. Then there are desecrating and incinerating toilets. None of those have incoming or outgoing waterlines

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: May 30, 2021 03:30PM
Ombligo
DeusxMac

Not necessarily.. there are options.

A composting toilet just needs a vent line. Then there are desecrating and incinerating toilets. None of those have incoming or outgoing waterlines

OK, but not really to the point I was trying to make.
Date: May 30, 2021 04:04PM
Desecrating toilet? What are you eating over there???
Date: May 30, 2021 04:30PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 04:31PM by Speedy.
Date: May 30, 2021 08:10PM
Acer
Desecrating toilet? What are you eating over there???

LOL! smiley-laughing001

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: May 31, 2021 07:03AM
DeusxMac
Bill in NC

Many modern homes using natural gas for DWH & space heating like mine have smaller, 100A services.

So adding any Level 2 charging means ab outlay of thousands in panel upgrades and new circuitry.

With hybrids delivering 50+ mpg why bother?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2021 07:03AM by Bill in NC.
Date: June 01, 2021 01:44PM
Bill in NC
DeusxMac
Bill in NC

Many modern homes using natural gas for DWH & space heating like mine have smaller, 100A services.

So adding any Level 2 charging means ab outlay of thousands in panel upgrades and new circuitry.

You don't need Level 2 to charge an EV, it's just a lot slower with Level 1. If your battery is mostly depleted then you won't get a full charge on a Level 1 charger during the time you're home from work before you have to leave again the next morning. But you will get to full if your battery is at 50%.

Date: June 01, 2021 09:48PM
Bill in NC
DeusxMac
Bill in NC

No need. Over your lifespan there will always be ICE cars just like there are still horses and carriages.

I charge one of my PHEV on Level 1 and the other on Level 2. Over the past two years I think I swapped things once to get a faster charge on the other vehicle.

Date: June 01, 2021 10:11PM
Bill in NC

For some of us it's not just about the cost of gas. There's the cost to the planet to consider also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020