advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Texas' Gov. Abbott bans vaccine "passports"
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 08, 2021 08:31AM
[www.texastribune.org]

... yay! Go where you want, do what you want, regardless if you're vaccinated or not! Freedomz!

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas' Gov. Abbott bans vaccine "passports"
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 08, 2021 09:39AM
"We're gonna ban something that does not exist. Freedoms !"

Idiot.

FWIW LEGAL(*) Vaccine documentation is required by many countries if you want to visit. Without it, you have to submit to a test, 14 day quarantine, and then another test. Sorry, Americans. Your two weeks vacation is now spent in a hotel room. What fun !

(*) Not the fake form you buy on Etsy.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 08, 2021 09:49AM
Was the domestic vaccine passport that you'd have to show to get into American businesses and events ever really a thing outside early speculation amplified by right wing talking heads?
Date: June 08, 2021 09:53AM
I wonder how this is going to work for things like students attending school, etc., where the school has every right to require proof of vaccination in order to attend.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 08, 2021 10:13AM
PeterB
I wonder how this is going to work for things like students attending school, etc., where the school has every right to require proof of vaccination in order to attend.

My company has informed everyone that they don't have to wear a mask if the are vaccinated. But they can be asked to show proof (CDC card) if requested. And being unmasked and unvaccinated is considered a safety violation, which will lose you bonus (50% of your annual pay) or get you fired. I fully expect some idiot is going get fired "pour encouragez les autres".
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 08, 2021 11:14AM
cbelt3
PeterB

My company has informed everyone that they don't have to wear a mask if the are vaccinated. But they can be asked to show proof (CDC card) if requested. And being unmasked and unvaccinated is considered a safety violation, which will lose you bonus (50% of your annual pay) or get you fired. I fully expect some idiot is going get fired "pour encouragez les autres".

My company has a don't ask, don't tell policy regarding employee's vaccination status. Which means everyone has to keep on wearing masks when out of their individual work spaces. Which also means that vaccination is not mandatory to work here.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 08, 2021 12:32PM
Stupid political stunt as he and DeSantis try to outTrump each other.

Really messes things up for cruise ships out of Galveston. They want the crew and passengers vaccinated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2021 01:02PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 08, 2021 12:48PM
"Texas businesses that require customers to be vaccinated against COVID-19 wear shoes will be denied state contracts and could lose their licenses or operating permits under legislation Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law Monday.

'Texas is open 100%, and we want to make sure you have the freedom to go shoeless where you want without limits,' Abbott said before signing the law, in a video he posted Monday on Twitter."
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 08, 2021 01:44PM
Lemon Drop
Stupid political stunt as he and DeSantis try to outTrump each other.

Exactly. It just gets worse and worse.

Freedumb!
Date: June 08, 2021 01:49PM
Sam3
cbelt3
PeterB

My company has a don't ask, don't tell policy regarding employee's vaccination status. Which means everyone has to keep on wearing masks when out of their individual work spaces. Which also means that vaccination is not mandatory to work here.

Both of these situations could be construed as requiring proof of vaccination -- in cbelt3's case, if someone can be asked to show proof, and they refuse and get fired, they could make the argument that the policy goes against Abbott's order because the workplace's rules implicitly require proof of vaccination -- since you could be asked to show proof at any time. In Sam3's case, "don't ask, don't tell" is a problem because while nobody is being required to provide proof of vaccination, if someone comes down with corona and dies, and it's determined that it was because someone else there wasn't vaccinated (and because of the employer's policy, didn't say anything about it), that person as well as the company could be held liable -- the employer is not establishing a safe work environment for all employees, something which is required by law (and therefore requires proof of vaccination, use of PPE, or both). In either case... I can easily see a lawsuit in the making, and I wonder if the employers have really thought this through.

Posted by: vision63
Date: June 08, 2021 02:04PM
PeterB
Sam3
cbelt3
PeterB

Both of these situations could be construed as requiring proof of vaccination -- in cbelt3's case, if someone can be asked to show proof, and they refuse and get fired, they could make the argument that the policy goes against Abbott's order because the workplace's rules implicitly require proof of vaccination -- since you could be asked to show proof at any time. In Sam3's case, "don't ask, don't tell" is a problem because while nobody is being required to provide proof of vaccination, if someone comes down with corona and dies, and it's determined that it was because someone else there wasn't vaccinated (and because of the employer's policy, didn't say anything about it), that person as well as the company could be held liable -- the employer is not establishing a safe work environment for all employees, something which is required by law (and therefore requires proof of vaccination, use of PPE, or both). In either case... I can easily see a lawsuit in the making, and I wonder if the employers have really thought this through.

That's basically what governments respond to and protect against. Lawsuits that attack their general funds. By "banning" passports or proof, the states of Texas and FloridaMan become targets.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 08, 2021 02:39PM
IT WORKS!!!

"The ICV (International Certificate of Vaccination) was most successful in the case of smallpox. The mandatory possession of vaccination certificates significantly increased the number of travellers who were vaccinated, and thus contributed to preventing the spread of smallpox, especially when the rapid expansion of air travel in the 1960s and 1970s reduced the travelling time from endemic countries to all other countries to just a few hours. After smallpox was successfully eradicated in 1980, the International Certificate of Vaccination against Smallpox was cancelled in 1981, and the new 1983 form lacked any provision for smallpox vaccination. Thus, only yellow fever remained as vaccination requirement for international travel for which the ICV was used."

And the process continues...

"Yellow fever is the most common vaccine required for international travel. Many countries require the vaccine for all travellers or only for travellers coming from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission. Exceptions are typically made for newborns until 9 months or one year of age, depending on the country. The ICVP (International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis) form is valid for yellow fever starting 10 days after vaccination."
Date: June 08, 2021 03:51PM
DeusxMac
IT WORKS!!!

"The ICV (International Certificate of Vaccination) was most successful in the case of smallpox. The mandatory possession of vaccination certificates significantly increased the number of travellers who were vaccinated, and thus contributed to preventing the spread of smallpox, especially when the rapid expansion of air travel in the 1960s and 1970s reduced the travelling time from endemic countries to all other countries to just a few hours. After smallpox was successfully eradicated in 1980, the International Certificate of Vaccination against Smallpox was cancelled in 1981, and the new 1983 form lacked any provision for smallpox vaccination. Thus, only yellow fever remained as vaccination requirement for international travel for which the ICV was used."

And the process continues...

"Yellow fever is the most common vaccine required for international travel. Many countries require the vaccine for all travellers or only for travellers coming from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission. Exceptions are typically made for newborns until 9 months or one year of age, depending on the country. The ICVP (International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis) form is valid for yellow fever starting 10 days after vaccination."

That's crazy talk. You're infringing on my freedomz! You can't tell me what to do! The virus is a hoax! Ban the W.H.O.! Fire Fauci! 'Murica!

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 08, 2021 04:09PM
Davy didn't have no vax shot...

...that's why he died a Texas hero!!
YEE HA!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2021 04:22PM by Steve G..
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 08, 2021 11:30PM
They knew how to handle insurrectionists back then.

Steve G.
Davy didn't have no vax shot...

...that's why he died a Texas hero!!
YEE HA!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 394
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020