advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
FBI and Australia dropped the hammer today
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 08, 2021 02:02PM
NBC:

A massive international sting involving 16 countries, including the U.S., has netted more than 800 suspects, the seizure of 8 tons of cocaine and more than $48 million, officials said Tuesday.

The FBI and Australian law enforcement developed and operated an encrypted device company, called ANOM, that was then used to gain access to organized crime networks in more than 100 countries...

...The platform’s users communicated in 45 languages about trafficking and drugs, arms and explosives, armed robberies, contract killings and more, said van der Berg.

"I think what surprised us ... is how open they were about planning," FBI Special Agent in Charge Suzanne Turner told reporters in San Diego. "It was exactly what car was coming to what location. What maybe vessels or ships. They were very explicit in their detail because they believed it was secure communications."

While my initial reaction included some ambivalence about governments running fake software, that ambivalence has largely faded away. It's not like they made these people seek out what they hoped was a way they could plan crimes secretly.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FBI and Australia dropped the hammer today
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 08, 2021 03:21PM
Who snitched!!! cursing smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 08, 2021 03:49PM
...thought this would be about......Thor's hammer.....and Chris Hemsworth [ he is Australian ]......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 09, 2021 02:46AM
has netted more than 800 suspects, the seizure of 8 tons of cocaine and more than $48 million, officials said Tuesday.

Color me jaded, but other than the number of suspects (which will likely diminish substantially by trial time, the weight and dollar amount just don't seem significant, in the scheme of things.

I hope I am just jaded, and it is a real hurt on the drug enterprise.

And unlike some here, I am unsurprisingly still in favor of the war on drugs.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: kj
Date: June 09, 2021 01:42PM
800 suspects is quite a few, and they seem to be pretty high level, at least many of them. They also prevented the murders of many innocent people (I'd like to know what's up with that?) I'm thinking the main benefits are less tangible than the number of tons of this or that, though. They mention insight into the structure...etc. I'm sure it's just the tip of the iceberg. Of course, it depends what they do with what they've learned.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 398
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020