advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Pocketbook Politocs, Manchin, and what Dems can get done
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 10, 2021 09:57AM
For me this was a good clarifying article.

Pocketbook Politics [nyti.ms]

Dems can still make significant progress on economic goals (which we're historically very good at) but any progress on social issues is out of reach if Manchin opposes.

Not great news for gun responsibility, reproductive rights and voting rights.

His West Virginia constituency is white working class. Socially conservative but economically progressive. And he's definitely running again in 2024.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pocketbook Politocs, Manchin, and what Dems can get done
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2021 11:24AM
That is a good summary of his position and his record. Thanks for sharing that article. Do remember that WVa is one of the most 'dependent on the federal government' states in the Union.
[www.thecentersquare.com]

I honestly don't understand the voting rights rejection.. that bill would serve him as well,
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 10, 2021 11:45AM
'The report also showed red states are altogether more reliant on federal funding than blue states, which rank 30.32 on average.

The report confirmed least-wealthy states tend to receive the most federal support. Also, states with higher tax rates needed less federal help, while states with lower rates needed more. Illinois, for example, has the highest tax rates in the nation but ranked 43rd in federal need. Alaska, which has the lowest tax rate, was the second most federally dependent state.'

I always find this GOP argument absurd. Clearly they've fooled their voters who benefit THE MOST from 'darn Big Guvment'.
Date: June 10, 2021 12:34PM
cbelt3
That is a good summary of his position and his record. Thanks for sharing that article. Do remember that WVa is one of the most 'dependent on the federal government' states in the Union.
[www.thecentersquare.com]

I honestly don't understand the voting rights rejection.. that bill would serve him as well,

It would serve all Americans. I would bet he personally favors it, but he's got a pretty racist, Trumpian constituency that probably buys into the voter fraud nonsense.
Date: June 10, 2021 12:43PM
I think poverty measures and other indicators of economic well-being can be better direct measures than simply the amount of federal funds flowing into a state. Those could include military installations, environmental projects, high number of retirees getting benefits, things like that which are not related to the state level tax base.

By any measure West Virginia is not doing well so it's good they have a Senator not bent on blocking aid.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 10, 2021 10:07PM
I guess he hasn’t accepted that he won’t be re-elected no matter what he does.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 13, 2021 10:01PM
Speedy
I guess he hasn’t accepted that he won’t be re-elected no matter what he does.

He doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on reality in general.

Posted by: btfc
Date: June 13, 2021 10:22PM
“ Alaska, which has the lowest tax rate, was the second most federally dependent state. “

“ I think poverty measures and other indicators of economic well-being can be better direct measures than simply the amount of federal funds flowing into a state. Those could include military installations, environmental projects, high number of retirees getting benefits, things like that which are not related to the state level tax base. “

Yes, I think that if you did a deep dive into Alaska’s financial balance sheet it would paint a much different picture. You’d have to factor in things like revenues from energy and other industries, federal lands, Native American issues, and many other mitigating factors.

Not saying that the index is worthless, just that it needs more context.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020