advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Pennsylvania Republicans cut a lawmaker's mic after he said the state GOP is '100% white'
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 10, 2021 04:31PM
A Dem

A Pennsylvania Democrat had his speech cut short on Wednesday after he said the state's Republican lawmakers were "100% white."

The heated moment came during a debate over a Republican proposal to regulate the disposal of fetal remains, one that Democratic lawmakers argued would force women to bury or cremate a miscarried fetus. As USA Today reported, a number of Democratic women spoke against the measure — which Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf has promised to veto — by highlighting their own traumatic experiences with miscarriages.

Rep. Brian Sims, a Democrat from Philadelphia, lamented the fact that his colleagues were forced to share such testimony in the state's Republican-controlled House.

"This is just another act in a political theater that has plagued this chamber for far too long," Sims said. "We are a legislature that has met more to remove mask mandates, strip executive emergency powers, and overturn free and fair elections than we have to make strategic investments in Pennsylvania's women, children, and families."

Sims punctuated his remarks with an attack on his Republican colleagues and the demographic makeup of their caucus. The bill, he said, was just another line item in "a grossly, predictably misogynistic agenda — an agenda pursued by a party that is 100% white, in a chamber that is 70% male."

House Majority Leader Bryan Cutler, a Republican, then cut Sims' microphone. "That's enough," he said amid booing from other GOP lawmakers.

Sims was unrepentant.

"Your boos mean nothing to me," he said. "I've seen what you cheer for."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pennsylvania Republicans cut a lawmaker's mic after he said the state GOP is '100% white'
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 10, 2021 04:52PM
Truth hurts sometimes.
Re: Pennsylvania Republicans cut a lawmaker's mic after he said the state GOP is '100% white'
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 10, 2021 05:14PM
Brain Sims is a troublemaker. Good trouble…

=wr=
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 10, 2021 08:44PM
p8712

Sims was unrepentant.

"Your boos mean nothing to me," he said. "I've seen what you cheer for."

THAT is a quote right up there with, “…. I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy.”

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 10, 2021 09:36PM
pdq
Truth hurts sometimes.

Might want to turn down your screen brightness if you are in a dark room before clicking these links:

[www.pagop.org]

[www.pasenategop.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2021 01:53AM
THAT is a quote right up there with, “…. I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy.”

Whooooah!

Get outta my head!

That is the exact same thought I had, though mine included 'I'm going to steal that as sig material'.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: June 11, 2021 03:46AM
He's being generous. The real value is 79% male.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 11, 2021 09:32AM
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 11, 2021 12:49PM
Lux Interior

Mittens shared a very similar sentiment in response to the boos he heard from Utah GOP. Sims statement was far more elegant, however!
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 11, 2021 12:50PM
Acer
pdq
Truth hurts sometimes.

Might want to turn down your screen brightness if you are in a dark room before clicking these links:

[www.pagop.org]

[www.pasenategop.com]

Wow! Looks like the PA GOP thinks the phrase 'Women of Color' means red pantsuits...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020