advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
McGahn’s testimony released (“crazy s—t”)
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 10, 2021 04:51PM
Buzzfeed News:

House Democrats subpoenaed former White House counsel Don McGahn to testify about the Mueller investigation in spring 2019

[After two years of fighting it,] McGahn finally testified [in] a closed-door hearing, and the 241-page transcript released Wednesday night featured him repeatedly declining to answer questions in detail, explaining that his memories were no longer “crisp.” To get McGahn to testify and end a protracted legal fight, Democrats had agreed to ask him only about information in the public parts of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report. McGahn and his lawyer rebuffed efforts to pry loose something new.

So, nothing there?

Not exactly.

[McGahn testified that] Former President Donald Trump ordered [him] to issue a false statement at the height of the Mueller investigation even though he knew the lying could carry criminal consequences for both of them…

Trump knew that statement “would not have been accurate” since he had ordered McGahn months earlier to orchestrate Mueller’s firing — a demand McGahn refused, he testified.

McGahn saw Trump’s order for him to fire Mueller accurately as another Nixonian Saturday Night Massacre in the making and refused. Then, later Trump insisted, repeatedly, that McGahn issue a false statement that he (Trump) had never ordered McGahn to fire Mueller.

Dunno about you, but that sounds to me like (at least a damn good effort at) obstruction of justice, and suborning perjury on the part of Trump. Not that it would have made much difference, I guess - the usual suspects are already declaring McGahn’s confirmation of real crimes, as we all suspected as a “nothingburger”. But,

One of the judiciary committee’s investigators asked McGahn during the June 4 hearing if he agreed with the characterization that Trump was asking him to “do crazy s--t” in first demanding Mueller’s firing and then requesting a statement claiming it never happened.

I think [that’s] fair,” McGahn replied.

smiley-laughing001
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: McGahn’s testimony released (“crazy s—t”)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 12, 2021 03:57PM
Maybe I'm just getting more and more impatient, but this feels more and more like a train on track but the engine is losing steam.

At this point, it feels like the Dems are slowly acquiescing to the RHL's 'let's forget about all the meshugas and move forward!' rhetoric.

There are more mechanicians than I can keep track of, but I really would like to see definitive actions taken.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 12, 2021 07:56PM
Lately the assertion that 'under the public facade they're all cut from the same cloth' is being heard more and more often. I'd like to think that's not the case.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 13, 2021 05:51PM
BTW, today we hear from the NYT that McGahn himself was also the target of a secret metadata subpoena circa 2018.

Apple informed him within the last month, after they were released from an expired gag order.

Odd that he didn’t mention this in his testimony to Congress.

Also, who initiated the subpoena? It reminds me of when the Bushies fired all the US attorneys and replaced them with more compliant ones - whose idea was that? Bush? No! Cheney? Not me. Rove? Moi? It was apparently a bastard, without a father.

So this is - so far, nobody can say, but in this case, somebody knows. Subpoenas don’t just sprout by themselves. A judge had to approve it, and they know who asked for it.

We shouldn’t just let this go.

Edit: here’s a link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 05:52PM by pdq.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 425
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020