advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The Trump administration forced Apple to secretly reveal at least two Democrats’ data
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 10, 2021 10:24PM
Crap

By now, you may have heard that Trump’s Department of Justice secretly seized the phone records of journalists working for The New York Times, CNN, and The Washington Post, in the hopes of revealing their sources and stopping leaks to the press. But the NYT is now reporting that Trump didn’t stop at journalists — in 2017 and 2018, it forced Apple to cough up metadata on at least two Democratic members of the House Intelligence Committee, including current chairman Adam Schiff and representative Eric Swalwell, and as many as a dozen people tied to that committee in total, including family members and at least one child.

Like the media outlets, Apple was under a gag order and unable to tell anyone until it expired this year — the only reason we’re learning about this now is because the new administration’s Justice Department decided to reveal the subpoenas and gag orders to the press.

METADATA IS POWERFUL
While one of the NYT’s sources insist that Apple only provided metadata, not photos or the contents of emails, it’s been well-established for years that metadata is data: you can learn a lot if you know where, when, and who a given person is talking to, particularly if you combine that with other insights. (An earlier NYT investigation showed that the amount of location data smartphones already reveal to data brokers is enough to identify someone personally.)

Apple didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Last Saturday, the Justice Department promised it would no longer secretly subpeona records from journalists to root out leaks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Trump administration forced Apple to secretly reveal at least two Democrats’ data
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 10, 2021 10:37PM
Last Saturday, the Justice Department promised it would no longer secretly subpoena records from journalists to root out leaks.

Pointless unless it's codified. A promise is only good until a change of administration or AG.
Re: The Trump administration forced Apple to secretly reveal at least two Democrats’ data
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2021 11:04PM
Which Judge signed the warrant ?

THAT is the person that should be immediately tossed off the bench for a deeply unconstitutional and illegal act. When the judges jump off the balance and do whatever the executive branch wants in violation of The Law, then the constitution is badly damaged.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 10, 2021 11:04PM
I'd be interested to know more about what this metadata was AND why Apple was in possession of it in the first place? Were these from phone backups to iCloud? Maybe backing up to an encrypted backup on your own computer via iTunes isn't such a bad idea after all.
Date: June 10, 2021 11:06PM
cbelt3

THAT is the person that should be immediately tossed off the bench for a deeply unconstitutional and illegal act. When the judges jump off the balance and do whatever the executive branch wants in violation of The Law, then the constitution is badly damaged.

A FIFA Court?
Date: June 10, 2021 11:13PM
RgrF
cbelt3

A FIFA Court?
FISA... FIFA courts involve egregious bribery to get the World Cup in one's country.

The court in question..
[en.wikipedia.org]

The judge in question... not sure.
Date: June 10, 2021 11:38PM
Typos - the bane of my online existence.
Date: June 11, 2021 01:00AM
RgrF
A priest, a minister, and a rabbit walk into a bar….
Date: June 11, 2021 01:13AM
cbelt3
RgrF
A priest, a minister, and a rabbit walk into a bar….

It was a big rabbit, someone called him Harvey.

Re: The Trump administration [subpoenaed] Apple to secretly reveal at least two Democrats’ data
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 11, 2021 01:43AM
Apple has long stated it will cooperate to the extent it can, as required by law, so there shouldn't really be much surprise there.

in 2017 and 2018, it forced Apple to cough up metadata on at least two Democratic members of the House Intelligence Committee, including current chairman Adam Schiff and representative Eric Swalwell, and as many as a dozen people tied to that committee in total, including family members and at least one child.

I'd like to know a lot more about this, more than any part of the reveal.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 11, 2021 08:11AM
GGD
I'd be interested to know more about what this metadata was AND why Apple was in possession of it in the first place? Were these from phone backups to iCloud? Maybe backing up to an encrypted backup on your own computer via iTunes isn't such a bad idea after all.

My understanding is that metadata is who called (or texted, or emailed) who and when.

Still, this is very concerning. I agree that we should know who the judge was and more about what they were after.
Date: June 11, 2021 08:45AM
The more I think about this, the more I get pissed off. The Trump administration appears to have been as bad as Nixon’s.

We shouldn’t just let this go. Fortunately, it’s currently the top story on Google News right now.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 11, 2021 09:28AM
Much worse than Nixon.

But no accountability this time.

What are Merrick Garland and Chris Wray doing? Disappointing to say the least.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 11, 2021 09:45AM
pdq
GGD

My understanding is that metadata is who called (or texted, or emailed) who and when.

Still, this is very concerning. I agree that we should know who the judge was and more about what they were after.

And I still don't understand why Apple would have access to voice call history, the call doesn't go through Apple, the cell carrier should have the call history, and the phone app's recent call history should also have it, and that would wind up in an iPhone backup too, which brings me back to.... Did Apple get this information from iPhone backups to iCloud?

iMessage/Facetime metadata might be something that would need to pass through Apple's servers to make the transaction, although I do wonder why they would need to retain that information. The actual contents of the message/call is end-to-end encrypted and Apple claims that even they can't access that.

I wonder if anyone sent Apple a request for Chuck Schumer's phone metadata smiling smiley

Posted by: btfc
Date: June 11, 2021 05:11PM
“ DOJ inspector general to review Trump Justice Department's seizure of Democrats' phone data “

‘ Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz confirmed that he would launch an investigation into it as well as the use of subpoenas to obtain journalists' phone records. Horowitz also said his watchdog agency would look beyond subpoenas to “other legal authorities [used] to obtain communication records … in connection with recent investigations of alleged unauthorized disclosures of information to the media by government officials.”

“The review will examine the Department’s compliance with applicable DOJ policies and procedures,” Horowitz said, “and whether any such uses, or the investigations, were based upon improper considerations. If circumstances warrant, the OIG will consider other issues that may arise during the review.” ‘

‘ A House intelligence committee official confirmed the existence of the subpoenas in an interview with USA Today on Friday and described them as a politically motivated effort retaliate “against people who were rightly investigating the Trump administration for abuses.”

“A question that we have for the Department of Justice is what legally was this predicated on? When did it start? And how did it continue?” said the committee official, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

“We have repeatedly posed basic and readily answerable questions to the Department for more than a month but have received virtually no information beyond a confirmation that the investigation is closed,” the committee official said. “The Department's refusal to provide information is unacceptable, and they will need to provide a full accounting of this and other instances in which law enforcement was weaponized against Donald Trump's political opponents.” ‘

[amp.usatoday.com]
Date: June 11, 2021 05:30PM
Barr responds:

I don’t recall; I wasn’t involved; Trump didn’t ask me to.

RollingEyesSmiley5

In a phone interview, Barr said he didn’t recall getting briefed on the [subpoena of Democrat’s phone metadata].

Hey, I was just the AG. Nobody ever told me nothin.

RollingEyesSmiley5

Barr said that while he was attorney general, he was “not aware of any congressman’s records being sought in a leak case.” He added that Trump never encouraged him to zero in on the Democratic lawmakers who reportedly became targets of the former president's push to unmask leakers of classified information.

It appears it was just a bizarre coincidence.

RollingEyesSmiley5RollingEyesSmiley5

PS:

Trump tweet, March 28, 2019

“Congressman Adam Schiff, who spent two years knowingly and unlawfully lying and leaking, should be forced to resign from Congress!”

eye rolling smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 13, 2021 06:29PM
Justice Department secretly subpoenaed information from McGahn’s Apple account

[apnews.com]

Apple informed former Trump White House counsel Don McGahn and his wife that the Justice Department had subpoenaed information about accounts belonging to them in 2018, a person familiar with the matter said Sunday, days after two House lawmakers disclosed they, too, had their information secretly subpoenaed.

It’s not clear yet why the Trump administration sought the McGahns’ records. But the others were part of a leak probe related to the investigation of Russian-related election interference. The extraordinary disclosure that the Justice Department sought records of a sitting White House counsel and others, which was first reported by the New York Times, raises questions about how far the Trump administration was willing to go to ferret out who it thought might be responsible for damaging information about the administration.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 416
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020