advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
One dead after pickup truck drives into crowd attending Wilton Manors(FL) LGBTQ Pride parade
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 19, 2021 09:36PM
FLORIDA!

One dead after pickup truck drives into crowd attending Wilton Manors LGBTQ Pride parade
[www.sun-sentinel.com]

A pickup truck drove into a crowd of spectators at the start of the Wilton Manors Stonewall Parade and Festival in what appeared to be an intentional act, witnesses said. One person is dead and another is clinging to life, officials said.

A third man is expected to survive.

The Stonewall Parade and Festival is an LGBTQ Pride event, attracting hundreds of spectators and participants from across the county. Many local small businesses closed their doors to participate in the parade, which was canceled.

Fort Lauderdale City Manager Chris Lagerbloom said the FBI is joining the investigation. Police have not confirmed whether the incident deliberate. Video posted to Twitter by a WPLG reporter appeared to show the driver being taken into custody. The driver was wearing a t-shirt with the logo of the Fort Lauderdale Gay Men’s Chorus emblazoned on the back.
apparently an accident according to late reports.
-
In the immediate aftermath, Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis called it “a terrorist attack against the LGBTQ community. He came here to destroy people. This was clearly no accident.”

Others agreed it appeared to be an intentional act.

“We were at the start of the parade, right in front of Fort Lauderdale High School,” said spectator Christina Currie, who was there with her husband and their two elementary school aged children. “All of a sudden there was a loud revving of a truck and a crash through a fence. It was definitely an intentional act right across the lanes of traffic.”

The police response was immediate.

“He jumped out of the truck and the police grabbed him,” Trantalis said. “He was screaming vulgarities.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2021 08:47AM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One dead after pickup truck drives into crowd attending Wilton Manors(FL) LGBTQ Pride parade
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 20, 2021 12:08AM
Ian Margol
@IanMargolWPLG
·
2h
UPDATE: President of the Ft Lauderdale Gay Men’s Chorus says they believe this was a tragic accident and confirm the driver was a member of their group.
@WPLGLocal10

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Re: One dead after pickup truck drives into crowd attending Wilton Manors(FL) LGBTQ Pride parade
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 20, 2021 08:10AM
classic accelerator/brake pedal mix-up. It is fairly common down here.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 20, 2021 09:35AM
So why was he “screaming vulgarities” instead of screaming he was sorry?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 20, 2021 09:53AM
deckeda

Vulgarities (which of course is not synonymous with “slurs”)? Shock would hardly be a stretch.

It’s actually pretty sloppy reporting to have not have at least tried to run down what was heard, or note the ambiguity of the quote if you can’t.

There’s a lot of conflicting and ambiguous information on this right now. I suspect people are planting flags (some with a sadly Q like vigor) on hills they’re going to find are not very solid.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2021 09:58AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 20, 2021 09:59AM
deckeda

Perhaps something like “Oh s h i t ! Oh s h i t !”
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 20, 2021 03:46PM
Meanwhile, in Arizona:

“ Witness tells of horror as truck rams into Arizona bike race”

[www.sfgate.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 21, 2021 05:56AM
Shock would hardly be a stretch.

It's it's rank speculation on my part, it would depend on the utterances made.

It's certainly possible and even likely the utterances weren't inflammatory in nature.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 21, 2021 10:49AM
I does appear to be slowly shaking out to be an accident, not an attack.

NBC Miami
”Fort Lauderdale police have released new information about a crash that killed one man and injured another at the Stonewall Pride Parade and Festival in Wilton Manors Saturday night, just before the event began.

The driver of the 2011 white Dodge Ram that plowed into the two victims was a 77-year-old man, who police say had physical ailments that prevented him from walking the parade route and was selected to be the lead vehicle of the parade, according to police.

As the driver waited for the start of the parade, he unexpectedly accelerated, struck the two victims and drove across all traffic lanes before crashing into the fence of a business on the west side of the street.”

Adding this information with the President of the choir quickly identifying the driver as a member of the choir makes it being an accident the most likely circumstance in my personal estimation.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020