advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A personal update of sorts regarding the vaccines, etc. ...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 22, 2021 04:18PM
Background post here: [forums.macresource.com]

... as many of you know, I'm in a weird category in that I've got a slight immunodeficiency -- likely genetic, something I was born with, and have had probably since childhood, and predisposes me to certain recurrent infections (especially sinus infections, which thankfully I've had very few of recently, but a few years back I had a life-threatening sepsis situation which was not pleasant)***.

I got the J&J back in March, based primarily on the fact that of the three vaccines, it was the only one that had been shown to prevent hospitalization-related death from corona -- which was/is my real concern -- because there are published accounts of people who have what I have getting corona, then dying in the hospital, or ending up alive, but with permanent organ damage. Anyway, my immunologist and I tested for antibodies after the J&J, and I had none -- which inclined me to get the Pfizer, since I didn't really see any downside to it, other than possible side-effects. After the second shot of Pfizer -- boom! A blazing positive antibody test result. My immunologist and I were both really surprised by this result.

So, bottom line ... for those of you who might know someone in my category ... it may be worth it for them to get more than one vaccine.

In my opinion, the chances are good that either: A) my immune system didn't really react much to the J&J because of the adenoviral vector; B) I somehow got a bad batch of the J&J (seems very unlikely); C) since the mRNA vaccines use your own body's tissues to make antigen, this is seen as more "native" by the immune system and therefore produces a stronger response compared to an adenovirus; D) we just "overloaded" my immune system with vaccine, e.g., the J&J might have primed me for the Pfizer. I just got off a televisit with my immunologist, and she and I pretty much agree that options C or D are probably the most likely ... and she'd like to get a resident or fellow to write this all up in a paper.

Of course, we have no idea how long the antibodies will last, and whether or not they're truly protective-- since the titer test is against the spike protein, the likelihood is good that they are of the neutralizing/protective type, but I'd have to get more work done to show this for sure. We agreed that I should get retested in three months, since we already know that my general response to vaccines is blunted (and we don't really know how long immunity from the vaccines is good for in a normal person anyway). I'm also considering a genetic test that she mentioned another patient is getting, in order to figure out the cause of the immunodeficiency; I'm not keen on genetic tests in general, but will look into it. I'm also reconsidering the standard treatment for my immunodeficiency, but it's kind of unpleasant (biweekly or weekly infusions) and not cheap.

Anyhow ... that's the news for now. I hope this is useful/interesting for some of you.

*** Note that it was a very good allergist who first picked up on my having the immunodeficiency, when he learned that I was getting recurrent sinus infections (I was in my 20's at the time). There may be a lot of people out there like me, but who haven't gotten tested and so have no idea that they might have an immunodeficiency and that's why they keep getting the infections.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2021 05:22PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A personal update of sorts regarding the vaccines, etc. ...
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: June 22, 2021 04:58PM
Good luck.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 22, 2021 05:02PM
Antibody Leader! Hope this leads to more good news.

=wr=
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 22, 2021 05:09PM
wave rider

Antibody Leader! Hope this leads to more good news.

boink smiley thumbs up

Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 22, 2021 05:09PM

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 22, 2021 05:12PM
So glad you had the courage to get the other vaccine, and with the hoped for results.

Hope it continues to work.

Cool that you can be a research subject and likely help others...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2021 05:57PM
Good caution and good results. Stay vigilant and safe !
Date: June 22, 2021 06:06PM
cbelt3
Good caution and good results. Stay vigilant and safe !

Thanks, I am -- I will post about it in a new thread, but my immunologist had some other things to say about how people here are behaving...

Posted by: Don C
Date: June 22, 2021 09:58PM
Thanks for the update. I think I recall that just going out to get the first shot was quite a threat and logistically difficult. Glad it all worked out.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 22, 2021 10:12PM
Multi-vaccine LEADER!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 22, 2021 11:14PM
Way to go! B cells (after the first dose) are so-so but those T cells (after the second dose) are the bomb!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 22, 2021 11:28PM
Speedy
Way to go! B cells (after the first dose) are so-so but those T cells (after the second dose) are the bomb!

Without going into details about my particular disease condition, the major problem is my B cells and the production of antibodies ... simply put, they don't work properly and I don't make enough antibodies to be protective (and am therefore prone to certain kinds of infections). My T cells seem basically OK, though still not quite at the levels of a normal person. In my particular case, it may be that a subset of the B cells, producing the desired antibodies, specifically got triggered after the Pfizer but not the J&J ... which is interesting and also very relevant to other people with a similar or identical condition to mine.

And yes, going to get these vaccines... I have been being very careful all along, and in more recent days, have witnessed some of the craziness inside the pharmacies and what the pharmacists have been having to deal with. Getting appointments for the Pfizer was a piece of cake, compared to the J&J... what a difference two months makes, in terms of demand and peoples' behavior.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2021 11:31PM by PeterB.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 23, 2021 12:36AM
I have a friend who had a liver transplant. She has recovered crazy fast but according to her husband, a doctor, her antibody response to the covid vaccine has been minimal and she still has to be as careful as if she never had gotten the jab. Maybe I should tell her your story, obviously without any details as to where I heard it.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 23, 2021 05:27AM
30 y.o. daughter has kidney transplant. Her infectious disease doctor said no proof that a third dose of Pfizer would make any difference for her. They (U of Minn) have been researching it since the first vaccines came out and are seeking more volunteers for their research. She is 25+ years post-transplant and does not need to mask, etc. according to the doc. It is different for recipients who are six months or less post-transplant.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2021 05:44AM by Speedy.
Date: June 23, 2021 07:49AM
Of course, everyone's experience might be different and YMMV. But both I and my immunologist thought it was very interesting that I seemingly had no response to the J&J, and apparently a very good one to the Pfizer. (What I noted to her that we probably should have done, was to measure my titer after the first shot of Pfizer as well as the second, but hindsight is always 20/20...) Since-- at least in my case-- the side-effects of these shots were really pretty minimal***, I don't see too much of a downside of getting both shots, if someone (like myself) doesn't seem to show a response to one of them.

***Edit: for those who haven't gotten it, I thought the pain from the J&J shot itself was much worse than the Pfizer, and in terms of post-shot symptoms or side-effects, I really didn't have much from either... perhaps headache and fatigue, but that was about it. I know a lot of folks seem to be complaining about side-effects especially from the second shot of Pfizer and Moderna, but not so in my case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2021 07:51AM by PeterB.
Posted by: samintx
Date: June 23, 2021 08:14AM
Ted King

Good luck to you, Peter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2021 08:15AM by samintx.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 23, 2021 09:54AM
Whatever the cause of the good response to the Pfizer vaccine, I'm very glad to hear it!!!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 23, 2021 11:00AM
Nice!

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Pam
Date: June 24, 2021 07:02AM
Good news! Hope your stress levels have dropped.
Date: June 24, 2021 08:17AM
Pam
Good news! Hope your stress levels have dropped.

Yes and no. I'm happy that I now apparently have antibodies, but I'm still being vigilant -- especially in the face of Delta and other possible variants.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020