advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
What is your impression of the job Kamala Harris is doing as VP?
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 03, 2021 04:31PM
What is your impression of the job Kamala Harris is doing as VP?

It's still early and so I'm not really anxious about it, but so far I was hoping for her to stand out a little bit more positively than she has. Maybe it's the nature of some of the "dirty work" tasks that she's been asked to do. Maybe my perceptions are off, though, and most people think highly of what she has done so far.

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is your impression of the job Kamala Harris is doing as VP?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 03, 2021 04:43PM
CNN ran a story critical of Kamala. CNN is to democrats what FOX news is to republicans. There must be trouble in paradise.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 03, 2021 04:47PM
It is hard to tell how she or Biden are doing because Trump is still getting all the attention.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 03, 2021 04:56PM
The Other Side really wanted to pin any and everything on her once the election was over (really over), so I'm not surprised she is being a bit low-key, but that is only on the scale of what many expected her to do. What has been the activity of the previous VPs at the six month mark? I'm not so sure she has been any less active than those priors.
Posted by: hal
Date: July 03, 2021 05:00PM
To me VP is just one big PR event - so far, she's doing a little less than expected, but I'm not expecting much.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 03, 2021 05:31PM
I wasn't thrilled with her as the pick to start with, I'm less enthralled now. I do not see her as the nominee in 2024 or 2028 (and if she is, then the Republicans take the White house back).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: July 03, 2021 06:13PM
Haven't seen much of her since she took office.

Maybe she's been too focused on her job to go on TV and put on a show for us.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 03, 2021 06:17PM
We’re really not supposed to notice what the VP does. Historically they have pretty much existed in the background. I think the only reason she has a spotlight is that biden is so old. one side wants to up her chances of succeeding biden while the other wants to torpedo her chances now.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2021 06:17PM by graylocks.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 03, 2021 06:35PM
She's doing a brilliant job. She's being undermined by the media and is the number one target of the far left. Other than Obama, no politician has been more criticized.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 03, 2021 06:51PM
vision63
She's doing a brilliant job. She's being undermined by the media and is the number one target of the far left. Other than Obama, no politician has been more criticized.

Agree that she's being unfairly treated by the media and political chatterers but it was 100% expected for the first woman of color in that role.

I've never seen any VP take on so much responsibility for major policy initiatives this early in the first term. On top of everything else she came down here to red Trumpland, Upstate SC, to promote vaccines. I think she is awesome. I love how she ignores her detractors and just does the work.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 03, 2021 07:07PM
Well, she’s no Mike Pence. I can tell you that.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: PeterB
Date: July 03, 2021 07:08PM
I think it's way too soon to make any fair assessment. We all forget that it's only been six months!!! (Name ANY major accomplishment made by a VP in the first six months in office... and even if you can, try naming one also made during a major national emergency.)

And yeah, historically, the VP isn't known to do much. So as far as I'm concerned, if she gets anything substantive done, that'll be a major accomplishment.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2021 07:08PM by PeterB.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 03, 2021 07:20PM
Ammo
Well, she’s no Mike Pence. I can tell you that.

Ain't that the truth.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 03, 2021 07:29PM
No idea. Which is a good thing. Her job is all about representing the President. Not herself. Not her religion. Not her political party. Just Biden.

We all got used to a White House of chaos. Measuring this White House the same way is damn dumb.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 03, 2021 07:45PM
She's doing an excellent job at being a tie-breaking voter in the Senate.
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 03, 2021 07:46PM
Her on the job training will take some time to produce any measurable results. Cali's a big place, but the national stage is a different quantum level. She has very little experience on the national stage or with the wolves in Washington, D.C.

She'll need to do more than "just survive", though, if she's going to make any lasting impressions…
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 03, 2021 08:03PM
I think Maya Rudolph is a fine actress.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 03, 2021 08:16PM
I think she’s doing OK. About as well as anyone could in that position. Not stellar, but not anywhere near the last administration. I would be comfortable with her being president, but I do not think she could get elected in the current climate or in the near future.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: July 03, 2021 10:49PM
Not impressed.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 03, 2021 11:22PM
I wish those saying less than flattering things were more specific.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 03, 2021 11:38PM
No impression yet - too soon.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 03, 2021 11:49PM
1. It's too soon to tell.

2. Biden has given her some ridiculously difficult (impossible) tasks to do, such as dealing with the border issues and dealing with the Republican voter suppression initiatives. If she can make progress on either of those she should be graded as brilliant. I think that Biden should throw her a few easy-win assignments in addition to these almost-impossible-to-succeed-in projects.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 03, 2021 11:57PM
davester
2. Biden has given her some ridiculously difficult (impossible) tasks to do

He learned that from Obama...

State of the Union 2016: Obama Says Biden Will Cure Cancer

President Obama announced Tuesday in his final State of the Union that Vice President Joe Biden would spearhead an initiative to cure cancer.
[time.com]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 04, 2021 12:04AM
I am a supporter, but her voice, I think, doesnt carry much weight. And she is not great speaking off the cuff.
Date: July 04, 2021 12:16AM
Biden came into office as a Washington insider with decades of experience, Obama leaned on that and both prospered. Harris comes in with little of that and thus needs to lean on the Biden circle of insiders, weather they'll succeed is anyone's guess.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 04, 2021 12:49AM
Wow, not my take at all. FOX is much farther to the right than CNN is to the left; CNN is pretty centrist/corporatist/neoliberal. And FOX doesn't care about accuracy.

davemchine
CNN ran a story critical of Kamala. CNN is to democrats what FOX news is to republicans. There must be trouble in paradise.
Date: July 04, 2021 02:37AM
Basically, her job is to do her best. You win some, you lose some. We all know that historically, as graylocks suggests, being Veep has been the most do nothing job in politics. But now, everybody wonders if she's "up to it."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2021 02:41AM by vision63.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 04, 2021 03:28AM
I have no idea of what her official duties are, and how well she performs them.

As such, I'd say it's too soon to tell.

I was not happy with her as the SF DA, where she didn't seek the death penalty for David Hill, who murdered SF Police Officer Isaac Espinoza.

I was against her running for SF DA because she was against the death penalty, so I wasn't too surprised she stuck to a campaign promise, but was extremely disappointed that she won the election, and didn't change her mind in a special circumstances murder.

There are those crimes were LWOP just isn't good enough.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 04, 2021 03:54AM
So she kept a campaign promise and you're upset? Voters decided, isn't that the system we want or expected?
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 04, 2021 07:13AM
Wow, this thread is - illuminating.

She’s doing a great job as the President’s lightning rod. That’s one of her jobs.

The second is to do whatever 46 asks her to do.

She’s taking the heat off Biden for sure.

I agree her impromptu press briefings are not being favorably reported. But I have no idea whether that’s true or not - I’m not watching the whole thing. Everyone makes gaffes while in the VP office, none more so than VP Biden.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 04, 2021 10:40AM
The only reason VP Harris even mentioned in the news is because the Republicans constantly attack her and the news orgs promptly report all their comments.

Think back, did this ever happen with any VP in the past (with the possible exception of Cheney)?

Harris's assigned roles are somewhat more prominent, but she's mainly being used as a talking target so you don't think about Republican treason.

For example. Wasn't Pence the leader of the COVID Task Force? No one ever discussed him in any capacity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2021 10:44AM by Steve G..
Posted by: hal
Date: July 04, 2021 11:10AM
sekker
I agree her impromptu press briefings are not being favorably reported.

In the past, no one cared one bit about VP pressers - why do they now all of a sudden???
Date: July 04, 2021 11:17AM
RAMd®d
I have no idea of what her official duties are, and how well she performs them.

As such, I'd say it's too soon to tell.

I was not happy with her as the SF DA, where she didn't seek the death penalty for David Hill, who murdered SF Police Officer Isaac Espinoza.

I was against her running for SF DA because she was against the death penalty, so I wasn't too surprised she stuck to a campaign promise, but was extremely disappointed that she won the election, and didn't change her mind in a special circumstances murder.

There are those crimes were LWOP just isn't good enough.

Her opponent Terrence Hallinan wouldn't have pursued the death penalty either for what that's worth. It's San Francisco. Terrence wasn't a bad guy. A big time reformer but no pushover.

You're from the Bay and you know a different Kamala Harris than the one that's portrayed nationally. From the left, she's an unrepentant "cop." A mass incarcerator. I @#$%& you not. She's almost a right-winger. Only people from the Bay knows who she is.

Officer Espinoza. rip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2021 11:22AM by vision63.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 04, 2021 12:12PM
As I explained to some Trumpers, she's just a politician. Not Jeezuz, not Satan. Just a politician.

My prediction of her being lambasted as the hyper sexualized black woman is coming true...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 04, 2021 12:24PM
In any other era she would be doing fine and getting only a little press coverage. In the Fox News era, the right wing picks one victim and attacks chronically. I suspect that she is doing about as well as can be expected, in the sense that she has essentially no Constitutional power except to vote when the Senate has a tie, and to preside over the Senate once in a while.

On the other hand, if she could work a miracle and help Central America to get stabilized and less scary to its own inhabitants, that would go a ways towards reducing the refugee issue.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 04, 2021 06:02PM
She needs to learn how to work the opposing party leaders and do it thinking on her feet. Give the right thoughtful nuanced answer when wingnut reporters shout out dog whistle questions. She was the Attorney General and police unions weren't reacting like they did to Larry Krasner, so I think she should be able to avoid any stray tar from people saying Dems are the 'defund the police' party.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 04, 2021 06:15PM
Filliam H. Muffman
She needs to learn how to work the opposing party leaders and do it thinking on her feet. Give the right thoughtful nuanced answer when wingnut reporters shout out dog whistle questions. She was the Attorney General and police unions weren't reacting like they did to Larry Krasner, so I think she should be able to avoid any stray tar from people saying Dems are the 'defund the police' party.

You're right. But, most Democrats aren't really conscious of this. Only the House Members that flipped districts in 2018 only to lose them in 2020 precisely because of this get this. Biden strongly positioned himself regarding this issue and you can tell by his totals in Southern states vs Democrats running on the same ballot. Jon Ossoff for example would not have had to undergo a runoff if he won the same number of votes Biden did in Georgia.

Also, look at what Biden's experience taught him. You can't beat skill and experience.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2021 06:17PM by vision63.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 153
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020