advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Couple claims Uber driver attacked them after a backseat kiss, police say otherwise
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 08, 2021 09:35PM
Not sure if this belongs here or the other side....

[www.foxsanantonio.com]
Couple claims Uber driver attacked them after a backseat kiss, police say otherwise
Wednesday, July 7th 2021
SAN ANTONIO - A same sex couple says they were the victims of a hate crime while riding in an Uber.

Roman and Gilbert Gutierrez are sharing what they say happened inside the car.

"I gave him a kiss. I mean, it's 2021 I should be able to kiss my husband," Roman said.

A show of affection Roman says he made while in the back of an Uber ride on the Fourth of July, the situation quickly escalated.

"All of a sudden, I just know I got hit in my face like arm swung back at me from the driver," Roman said.

SAPD has a different account of the incident.

They told us they reviewed body camera footage of this incident and say quote "all indications are that the ride share driver was the victim in this case and the passengers were the aggressors."

Their report says the two passengers were intoxicated and they were seen and heard making racial and derogatory slurs at the Uber driver and witnesses, and that one of the passengers threw a drink at the driver.

If I was an Rideshare driver, there is no way I would not have a cabin facing camera!
Reminds me of this incident...
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

I just did a youtube search for "uber driver attacked"
[www.youtube.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Couple claims Uber driver attacked them after a backseat kiss, police say otherwise
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 08, 2021 09:47PM
.....people are such liars.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Couple claims Uber driver attacked them after a backseat kiss, police say otherwise
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 08, 2021 10:16PM
Stuff happens a lot in rideshare. As you said, drivers really need to have dash cams that record video and audio inside the vehicle.

In addition to violence, it's surprisingly common for riders to try to get a free ride (through a refund) by claiming the driver was [drunk/speeding/racist, etc.].

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 08, 2021 11:20PM
Hmmm.

It sounds like perhaps the cops are taking what they saw arriving at the scene as the totality of events (Note that they only refer to their own bodycam footage in relating the account).

The couple’s response to Fox News’ follow up,
”We followed up with the Gutierrez's

"No, no, he wasn't the victim, they don't know what happened prior to us getting out of the car, they don't know what happened in the inside of the car before people started recording," Gilbert said.

"Nobody did a sobriety test to say that we were drunk, we had just gotten off work," Roman said.

Gilbert says he does take accountability for throwing the drink at the driver, however, both say they acted in self defense to his physical and verbal abuse.”

My suspicion is one bad reaction led to another. The defensive reaction perhaps* more justified the the alleged initial attack.

*I say “perhaps” only because there doesn’t appear to be any impartial evidence as to events in the car.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 08, 2021 11:23PM
It always amazes me when people play 'the alcohol made me do it' card.

You don't want people to see your true colors, watch how much you drink.

Walk like a duck, talk like a duck, make racist slurs over and over again...

You just might be a racist.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 09, 2021 01:19AM
It would be easy to tell if a driver is that sort of person. They're rated by pretty much every rider. They have a record. If they've driven say 9,000 passengers and rate something like a 4.98 out of 5 stars, then those people are lying.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 09, 2021 01:29AM
That would presume that no reliable driver ever goes off the rails, not maybe as safe a presumption as it might have been pre-COVID. It's been a hard year all around and it's not over yet, some have borne up better than others.

It'll be good to see it really ended, not the arbitrary political ending that's actually occurring.
Date: July 09, 2021 01:50AM
RgrF
That would presume that no reliable driver ever goes off the rails, not maybe as safe a presumption as it might have been pre-COVID. It's been a hard year all around and it's not over yet, some have borne up better than others.

It'll be good to see it really ended, not the arbitrary political ending that's actually occurring.

No driver with experience is going to screw up what puts food on the table by hitting somebody foolishly, which would end their rideshare career. If you were all tongue-kissing, groping and practically making out in my back seat I'd make them stop.
Date: July 09, 2021 02:09AM
vision63
RgrF

No driver with experience is going to screw up what puts food on the table by hitting somebody foolishly, which would end their rideshare career. If you were all tongue-kissing, groping and practically making out in my back seat I'd make them stop.

If you've never driven for a living (I have - albeit many years ago), you might want to re-calibrate that assertion, if you have driven for a living, we can have a debate.
Date: July 09, 2021 02:48AM
RgrF
vision63
RgrF

If you've never driven for a living (I have - albeit many years ago), you might want to re-calibrate that assertion, if you have driven for a living, we can have a debate.

Dude, I've done every job, including this. I've taught college. I've welded. I've jackhammered, Roofing, framing, carpentry, demolition. I've acted/danced/directed. I can drive anything with wheels or on the water. I've DJ'd. I've picked/chopped cotton. I've harvested peaches, oranges, almonds and watermelons. I've been a courier, drove SuperShuttle. Worked at Tower and The Warehouse Records. Fast Food, waited tables, cut lawns, art directed, creative directed, interior design. Developed websites, created advertising. I'm a real life Zelig.

One thing I'm certain of. If a human can do it, so can I. Cuz I'm bad... I'm bad... sha'mon.

smiley-music039
Date: July 09, 2021 05:57AM
You're a better man than I am Charlie Brown.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 09, 2021 06:40AM
vision63
No driver with experience is going to screw up what puts food on the table by hitting somebody foolishly, which would end their rideshare career.

The ‘My Pillow’ goon has been a public figure, on our TVs regularly, for almost a decade. How many years was it before we found out he was a whack job conspiracy freak fascist, who would in fact openly spin off the dial in public badly enough to plant a very sizable crater in what puts food on his table?

Some time bombs have more ticks than others.

If you were all tongue-kissing, groping and practically making out in my back seat I'd make them stop.

And if you did it as is alleged this driver did, by physically attacking the couple, your butt would, rightfully, be in a sling.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 09, 2021 07:03AM
vision63

Dude, I've done every job, including this. I've taught college. I've welded. I've jackhammered, Roofing, framing, carpentry, demolition. I've acted/danced/directed. I can drive anything with wheels or on the water. I've DJ'd. I've picked/chopped cotton. I've harvested peaches, oranges, almonds and watermelons. I've been a courier, drove SuperShuttle. Worked at Tower and The Warehouse Records. Fast Food, waited tables, cut lawns, art directed, creative directed, interior design. Developed websites, created advertising. I'm a real life Zelig.

One thing I'm certain of. If a human can do it, so can I. Cuz I'm bad... I'm bad... sha'mon.

smiley-music039

What was your favorite job and what are you really good at?
Date: July 09, 2021 07:21AM
....workin' it.....???

Posted by: kj
Date: July 09, 2021 11:23AM
Not a popular position nowadays, but I think it is wise to remain blameless whenever possible. Had the guys shown some restraint (I know how difficult it can be), they would have had more credibility. As it is, they were the only ones observed independently behaving poorly, which doesn't help their cause.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 09, 2021 03:44PM
I want to attack the gay guy for wearing his nose above the mask.
Date: July 09, 2021 05:43PM
.....like a cougar.....???

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 09, 2021 11:31PM
but I think it is wise to remain blameless whenever possible.

Agreed, but that can be a tough row to hoe.

Even the most stoic can get got, when somebody pushes the right buttons.

I have to admit, were I the driver, I'd certainly want to smack the taste out of that guys mouth, and not in a good way.

He went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and I would have certainly considered executing an enthusiastic backhand.

I'd have to keep thinking about the camera to keep myself in check.

I don't hate much, but I hate drunks.

for wearing his nose above the mask.

That made me LLOL.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020