advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
A Message From The Gay Community
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2021 05:23AM
The San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus has conservatives undies all in a knot after releasing a powerful performance on youtube. The song satirizes long-held stereotypes against the gay community.

It starts out defiantly: "You think we're sinful, you fight against our rights, you say we all lead lives you can't respect…"

Then it gets fun with the core message: "We'll convert your children, We'll make them tolerant and fair."

Of course, the less tolerant right missed the message and said the song is meant to recruit children to a deviant lifestyle. Chorus members have started receiving death threats, and some far-right groups even posted screenshots of singers and began harassing them at home and work.

In response the chorus put out the following statement:

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO THE CHORUS FAMILY
Dear Chorus Family,

On July 1, we posted “Message from the Gay Community” to SFGMC TV and across social media. It was chosen because of how loved it was when we performed it live here in San Francisco at Pride, at SingOuts, in South Carolina and at the Pride Showcase. The piece was commissioned by the Oakland Symphony who shared it with us.

The far-right conservative media found our “Message...” video and have taken it as their cause. This has all happened in the last 24 hours and it continues to pick up steam. They have taken the lyrics out of context to support a narrative that suits their intolerant and hateful needs. It is obvious the tongue-in-cheek humor is lost on many. As a result, we have seen the user comments on YouTube, Facebook and Instagram become increasingly alarming. Emails to individuals and the chorus office are vitriolic – including threats of harm.

We feel the first action we must take to keep everyone involved with the chorus and the making of this video safe is to turn the video to private. We are communicating with law-enforcement both locally and nationally. We will not be threatened and we follow legal steps to act on those threats. We will always accept others who may hold different values, but when violence is their choice of expression, since 1969 we have not backed down. After decades of children being indoctrinated and taught intolerance for anyone who is “other,” from using the Bible as a weapon to reparative therapy, it’s our turn. We have dedicated ourselves to being role models, teaching, and spreading the message of love, tolerance and celebration through our music.

Our second action is to work to control the narrative. The video is being illegally copied and placed on YouTube, Instagram and other websites. Others have the right to follow Fair Use laws, but that is not what is happening here. Therefore, our social media and marketing staff are working around the clock to alert moderators at YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and to file DMCA’s (take down of websites featuring stolen content). So far, this has been very successful.

Lastly, if you receive personal communication of any kind regarding this video, please forward to info@sfgmc.org.

Thank you for your love and support and for believing in the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus and its mission. We are proud of who we are. We are proud of what we sing.

Yours,

Dr. Tim Seelig, Chris Verdugo and Glenn DeSandre

The video titled "A Message From The Gay Community" can be found on youtube, but I will honor the organization's wishes and not post the link. It's a shame because it is a wonderful performance with a strong message.

Haters got to hate, but they are falling to the wayside and hopefully will become irrelevant in the future.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2021 05:37AM by Ombligo.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: A Message From The Gay Community
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 09, 2021 06:09AM
Hate mainly stems from ignorance, a far easier pot to stir than is that of awareness. That's always been the case and probably always will be.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 09, 2021 08:18AM
Reminds me of Harvey Milk’s campaign tag line “I’m here to recruit you” (to vote for me).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 09, 2021 09:50AM
....does this apply to those.....'experimenting' in college.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 09, 2021 10:14AM
NewtonMP2100
....does this apply to those.....'experimenting' in college.....???

That'd be a bit late today, wouldn't it?
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 09, 2021 11:15AM
Wow, that's probably the most offensive video I've seen in a very long time. If any other group made a statement saying "We are coming for your children" and "We'll convert your children" it would be met with very strong resistance. I don't think that was a wise thing to say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2021 11:20AM by davemchine.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 09, 2021 11:54AM
davemchine
Wow, that's probably the most offensive video I've seen in a very long time. If any other group made a statement saying "We are coming for your children" and "We'll convert your children" it would be met with very strong resistance. I don't think that was a wise thing to say.

@#$%& that @#$%&. There's no reason why we need to placate the irrational fears of hateful people. They're turning around an accusation with a long history that has cut deeply into the freedoms and well being of many non straight individuals.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 09, 2021 12:12PM
mattkime
davemchine

@#$%& that @#$%&. There's no reason why we need to placate the irrational fears of hateful people. They're turning around an accusation with a long history that has cut deeply into the freedoms and well being of many non straight individuals.

Diplomacy
- the art of dealing with people in a sensitive and effective way
- the practice of influencing the decisions and conduct... through dialogue, negotiation, and other nonviolent means.

Synonyms: tact, tactfulness, sensitivity, discretion, subtlety, finesse, delicacy; judiciousness, discernment, prudence, cleverness, skill; politeness, thoughtfulness, understanding, care
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 09, 2021 12:17PM
Well said DeusxMac. It is sometimes difficult to be tactfulness on topics that we are passionate about. One of those topics is my children who I don't think were intended to be used as a battleground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2021 12:20PM by davemchine.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 09, 2021 12:30PM
DeusxMac
Diplomacy...

Ask the bigots to be diplomatic.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 09, 2021 02:41PM
Ask the bigots to be diplomatic.

Diplomacy is great when it works.

I'm no diplomat, but I'd posit it takes people on all sides willing to practice the concepts, precepts, and in some cases, the art of diplomacy, to achieve any measure of success.

And maybe it's just me, but I think we've seen ample examples of masses of people who are and aren't educated actively not wanting to be educated in areas of their favorite bias and prejudices.

I haven't watched the video and it may be very aggressive, even too aggressive, but I think efforts beyond diplomacy are needed.

But feeding the opposition's fears isn't the way to go.

Sometimes a campaign can be too clever for its own good, and that might be one of those times.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 09, 2021 02:49PM
I think how you assess this depends on what goals you lean into hardest. If one of your primary goals is to artistically express feelings and conceptions that you have then the kinds of things done in the OP seem to meet those goals. If your goal is convince some portion of skeptical people, then I don't think this kind of thing will work very well. Of course, there are, no doubt, a whole range of other goals that different people will consider as more primary but, never-the-less, I think that how you assess these events depends very much on what goals you hold most primary.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 09, 2021 03:00PM

But feeding the opposition's fears isn't the way to go.

They do a damn good job of that themselves. They are always going to be outraged, hateful, or high on their own sense of offense. It never, ever, ever ends. So sometimes, it’s OK to throw things right back at them. I’ve seen far more aggressive support of gays.

Someone should tell them the old joke about how 40% of people are born gay, the other 60% get sucked into it.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 09, 2021 05:03PM
Diplomacy always works, just ask Neville Chamberlain.

As for hurting the feelings of bigots, I truly don't care.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 09, 2021 05:20PM
Ombligo

As for hurting the feelings of bigots, I truly don't care.

Chamberlain gets a bad rap in history, but he pretty much knew his country could not be plunged into war at that moment and win. Was pretty obvious a war was coming but he bought crucial time needed to actually win the war. Not a good allegory in this case.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: July 09, 2021 05:42PM
Far-right conservativism is like bizarro world to me. Here we have a glaringly obvious tongue-in-cheek performance where both the audience and (adorably cute) singer are laughing, and then some nut somewhere starts making death threats—the totality of the irony in the message being completely lost on them.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 09, 2021 05:53PM
Ombligo

When diplomacy does work, “bad things” don’t happen. Makes for slow news days though.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 10, 2021 11:23PM
Those that bring hate against those preaching tolerance deserve getting charged with hate crimes.

Will be interesting to see if platforms are going to be held accountable.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 11, 2021 01:22PM
Marc Anthony
Far-right conservativism is like bizarro world to me. Here we have a glaringly obvious tongue-in-cheek performance where both the audience and (adorably cute) singer are laughing, and then some nut somewhere starts making death threats—the totality of the irony in the message being completely lost on them.

The question of how effective the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus message is reminds me of the Black Lives Matter slogan. When I initially heard it, it seemed completely benign, even stirring. But it didn’t take long for a lot of people to twist its meaning into something the movement never dreamed of: Black Lives Matter more than white lives. Some people search for ways to be offended, to h*ll with the facts.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020