advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Tennessee wants all the diseases back.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 13, 2021 03:11PM
First, the GOP gov fires the top vaccine expert in the state govt because she wants teens to get vaccinated.

Then, they order the dept of health (so called) to stop all promotion of and communication about vaccine to minors. Not just COVID. All vaccine. This includes postcards reminding them to get their second shot.

[www.tennessean.com]

[amp.tennessean.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tennessee wants all the diseases back.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 13, 2021 03:16PM
Welcome to Tennessee !
You wont get shots, but you may get shot.

(Banjos )
Date: July 13, 2021 03:35PM
cbelt3
Welcome to Tennessee !
You wont get shots, but you may get shot.

(Banjos )

LoL

Seriously tho...that's pretty much how it is.

TN has a 38% vaccination rate and the biggest case jump in the US.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 13, 2021 03:51PM
Whomever (the governor?) is responsible for this crapshow should be sued for being a danger to public health.

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: July 13, 2021 05:39PM
Limiting a health department's ability to educate members of the public endangers health both in their jurisdiction and across State lines; a Federal response is needed to address regressive ideologies that prevent the flow of factual vaccine information that literally saves lives.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 13, 2021 06:18PM
Mississippi’s new state motto is, “At least we are not Tennessee!”

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: July 13, 2021 06:39PM
Marc Anthony
Limiting a health department's ability to educate members of the public endangers health both in their jurisdiction and across State lines; a Federal response is needed to address regressive ideologies that prevent the flow of factual vaccine information that literally saves lives.

Yes. I've wondered what the Feds could do to override these Governors who are playing politics with health. I'm afraid not much. State Depts of Health are at the mercy of politicians who have no training in that field.

Similar to these insane antiabortion laws they keep passing.
Posted by: p8712
Date: July 13, 2021 06:47PM
I’m sure outbreaks of measles, hepatitis, and whooping cough will help their economy greatly!

Just wait till polio comes back!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 13, 2021 07:35PM
Wow. The catastrophic failure of our educational system is becoming more and more apparent as time goes on. To my recollection, forty years ago, government was not this full of ignoramuses.
Date: July 13, 2021 07:39PM
S. Pupp
Wow. The catastrophic failure of our educational system is becoming more and more apparent as time goes on. To my recollection, forty years ago, government was not this full of ignoramuses.

Beg to differ
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 13, 2021 07:55PM
Lemon Drop
Marc Anthony

Yes. I've wondered what the Feds could do to override these Governors who are playing politics with health. I'm afraid not much. State Depts of Health are at the mercy of politicians who have no training in that field.

Similar to these insane antiabortion laws they keep passing.

On the other hand, it was the state health departments that saved lives when Trump refused to lead. In my state's situation, the county and city health departments stepped in when the Republican legislature refused to support our state health department. Civilization is fragile.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2021 07:56PM by Acer.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 13, 2021 08:13PM
p8712
S. Pupp

Beg to differ

"Reagan attended Dixon High School, where he developed interests in acting, sports, and storytelling."
"He attended Eureka College. He was an indifferent student, majored in economics and sociology and graduated with a C average."
Date: July 13, 2021 08:20PM
By: Lee Savio Beers, MD, FAAP, President, American Academy of Pediatrics 

“Pediatricians are working every day in our practices to encourage families, adolescents and children ages 12 and older to get vaccinated against COVID-19. The Delta variant is more transmissible than other variants, leading to more infections and more hospitalizations and deaths among unvaccinated people. The vaccine is the best way to prevent this suffering and bring an end to the pandemic that has infected more than four million children and disrupted so many lives.  

“American Academy of Pediatrics Board of Directors member Dr. Michelle Fiscus was terminated as the State Medical Director of Vaccine-Preventable and Infectious Diseases at the Tennessee Department of Health, apparently because she was encouraging eligible adolescents to get vaccinated. Pediatrician public health officials are medical experts who are trusted by the communities they serve. Dr. Fiscus’s termination is the most recent example of a concerning trend of politicizing public health expertise.  

“We are also concerned by reports that Tennessee has stopped all communications about any routine childhood vaccines, including those for measles and other vaccine-preventable illnesses, at a time when children and adolescents overall still lag behind on these important vaccines due to the pandemic. Actions like this only increase the likelihood that we’ll see other outbreaks of these diseases even as we continue to fight COVID-19. 

“The American Academy of Pediatrics will continue to promote the vaccine and support pediatricians like Dr. Fiscus who are doing the vital work that’s needed to get us out of this pandemic.” 
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: July 13, 2021 09:33PM
Forget it, Jake, it’s Tennessee.

It is what it is.
Date: July 13, 2021 10:48PM
Darwin Award for best performance by a government body? smiley-signs003
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 14, 2021 08:19AM
thinning the herd by thinning what's heard.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 14, 2021 10:33AM
American Taliban.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 14, 2021 12:12PM
Apparently we have our own dumb in Ohio.. The infamous "Vaccines magnetize you" moron...

[www.news5cleveland.com]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 14, 2021 12:37PM
cbelt3
Apparently we have our own dumb in Ohio.. The infamous "Vaccines magnetize you" moron...

[www.news5cleveland.com]

From that article:

Her [Tenpenny's] 2008 book, “Saying No to Vaccines: A Resource Guide for all Ages,” is available on Amazon for $877.95, one of several similar titles she has authored.

I thought that "$877.95" must be a typo so I clicked on the link to Amazon and it really is $877.95 - for a paperback! (And $3.99 for shipping.) And there's only one left!

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2021 12:38PM by Ted King.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 14, 2021 01:19PM
Ted King
cbelt3

[www.news5cleveland.com]

From that article:

Her [Tenpenny's] 2008 book, “Saying No to Vaccines: A Resource Guide for all Ages,” is available on Amazon for $877.95, one of several similar titles she has authored.

I thought that "$877.95" must be a typo so I clicked on the link to Amazon and it really is $877.95 - for a paperback! (And $3.99 for shipping.) And there's only one left!

Working on another copy, but there's a typewriter ribbon shortage.
Date: July 14, 2021 01:29PM
cbelt3

[www.news5cleveland.com]

As someone who lived in Ohio for many years....

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 14, 2021 02:02PM
DeusxMac

More like The Scopes trail- "The State of Tennessee v. John Thomas Scopes"
Date: July 14, 2021 04:17PM
Steve G.
DeusxMac

I don’t believe anyone died as a consequence of the Scopes Trial decision.
These decisions probably will kill.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 14, 2021 04:34PM
DeusxMac
Steve G.
DeusxMac

I was merely pointing out that in TN, it's not an aberration, it's a tradition.
Date: July 14, 2021 04:59PM
Steve G.
DeusxMac
Steve G.
DeusxMac

I was merely pointing out that in TN, it's not an aberration, it's a tradition.

Inbred Luddism
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: July 14, 2021 06:06PM
p8712
S. Pupp

Beg to differ

“Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do” - Ronald Reagan

I stand corrected.
Posted by: Michael
Date: July 14, 2021 08:01PM
There's a bit more to the story. Apparently Dr. Fiscus sent information to the 900 COVID vaccine providers about the Tennessee Mature Minor Doctrine (that came from a state Supreme Court ruling years ago) that says that there is a presumption of maturity of kids from 14-18 years of age and that they can get medical care without their parents' knowledge or permission. If a medical care provider believes that the kid is not mature then he/she can refuse the medical care that the kid is trying to get. Advertising the Doctrine seems to be what caused the Repubs in the legislature to go berserk, saying that she was trying to undermine parental interest and influence over their kids and market the COVID vaccine to kids rather than to their parents.

Having said that, it was pretty stupid to have fired her. The governor's office could have easily ridden this out with a simple announcement that they believe that parents should be involved in their children's health care decisions. Instead they look like morons. Again.

[www.tennessean.com]
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 14, 2021 08:35PM
Trouble is, looking like a moron is a badge of honor for too many politicians these days.
Date: July 14, 2021 09:01PM
Michael
There's a bit more to the story. Apparently Dr. Fiscus sent information to the 900 COVID vaccine providers about the Tennessee Mature Minor Doctrine (that came from a state Supreme Court ruling years ago) that says that there is a presumption of maturity of kids from 14-18 years of age and that they can get medical care without their parents' knowledge or permission. If a medical care provider believes that the kid is not mature then he/she can refuse the medical care that the kid is trying to get. Advertising the Doctrine seems to be what caused the Repubs in the legislature to go berserk, saying that she was trying to undermine parental interest and influence over their kids and market the COVID vaccine to kids rather than to their parents.

Having said that, it was pretty stupid to have fired her. The governor's office could have easily ridden this out with a simple announcement that they believe that parents should be involved in their children's health care decisions. Instead they look like morons. Again.

[www.tennessean.com]

And only 7 minors in the state have accessed this right, and 3 of those were the teen children of Dr. Fiscus herself, who needed to get shots while their Mom was at work.

Much ado about nothing.

More states actually are looking at ways for teens to get around their anti-vaxx parents so they can access life-saving vaccines and the activities that require vaccines, like summer camps, etc. That started before COVID.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 14, 2021 10:04PM
But getting fired has proven to be great publicity for vaccinations.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 14, 2021 11:05PM
Michael
Instead they look like morons. Again.

Because they are.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020